Are you living out some of your dreams yet?

by LyinEyes 31 Replies latest jw friends

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

Hey luvvin_brovva (sp?) - drop me a line. I'm a DJ/Producer as well - would love to chat ya up...

Yeah, i'm pursuing my dreams, and they're unfolding slowly but surely. I've invested thousands in musical equipment and i'm starting to gig at nightclubs in the bay area as a house dj. The goal is to own my own record label and make a living doing the thing i do best - playing music.

Granted, I could've been a musician as a Witness, but the drawback w/ that is the Witness life demands a lot of your personal time (meetings, field service, studying, blah-blah). Going to night clubs is frowned upon, so i don't think playing at one would be the most "Christian thing to do." hahaha

I also feel really good about being able to do all types of research on other religions, and to ponder on them with an open mind, instead of automatically thinking they are wrong. Being able to study ancient philosophies and traditions is quite eye-opening. I really feel like i'm just now starting to live and discover what the world is really like and what's REALLY going on. All of my info before came straight from the Society's publications, which were enlightening at times, yes, but always one-sided and tainted with their beliefs.

At any rate, i'm happy! I have a great girlfriend i wanna spend the rest of my life w/, a great job, a cool car (convertible mustang) w/o feeling like i'm being labeled as "materialistic", awesome friends, and i can party like i want to without feeling guilty for missing the meeting on sunday morning. Life is good.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Lew,

The pay as a nursing assisant sucks, but the rewards you get by being around the elderly are wonderful! I always loved hearing their stories about their youth.

You can learn alot from the elderly. I sure did.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Hello Dancing Queen Dede LOL

Geez you crack me up girl, I remember when Saturday Night fever came out and how I wasn't allowed to go either. It was R16 - I was so close yet so far - it was so unfair!! I finally got to see it when videos came out....but of course the whole hype of it was dead and gone...but at least I still got to see it.

~Beck~ of the staying alive class

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Petty, that was beautiful what you said,,,,, and yes every little bit helps I truly believe that raising our own children the best we can,,, contriubutes to the world being a better place, we might not see the results in our life time. But that is our legacy.

Lilacs,,,,,,,, I am going to take a CNA course at the nursing home , next time it comes around. I can only work grave yard shifts since Ihave the little ones at home. But I also adore older folks, so this would be something I would enjoy,,,,,, even if I didnt get paid for it. I know I wouldnt make much at all, but it would give me some experience until I can pursue my goal.

• Undecided
    Undecided

My oldest daughter worked in a nursing home but had to quit because she would get so close to the patients that she would cry and feel so bad when they died she couldn't take it.

Ken P.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Ken, I know how that is. The first time and only time I ever saw someone die was in a nursing home.

He had been sick all week and the night he died I was his care giver. I was giving him a bed bath and he was having a hard time breathing.(death rattle) I hit the buzzer and told the nurse to get there stat! He died not long after. IMO he should have been in the hospital because it turned out he died of pneumonia.

Shari

• madison149
    madison149

Still doing the fade thing, so I can't do everything I want to yet, but . . .

I'm in college part-time (hope to go full-time when the kids are a little older).

I read, watch, listen to anything I want WITHOUT GUILT. I also am enjoying talking to anyone I want, making friends with "worldly" people, and seeing that there are so many great people out there who aren't JW. I refuse to believe that God will destroy these kind people.

I love sleeping in and just spending time with my husband and kids on weekends.

Things I hope to do in the future:

Get to know my disfellowshipped sister, who I formerly didn't talk to much. (I always fudged a little and talked to her some, because it just didn't feel right to shun her.) She seems to hold no grudge towards me at all, and has welcomed me into her life with open arms.

Take a yoga class.

Celebrate holidays. I feel really incompetent, still a little afraid of Santa Claus, but my husband is helping me with this.

Raise my kids to believe they can do anything, take advantage of all opportunities to reach their fullest potential. Mostly, I just want them to be happy and fulfilled. I guess that is most parents wish for their children.

I'd like to figure out what I believe, since I don't know WHAT to believe in anymore. Don't know if I'll ever figure it out or not, but I would like to have some spirituality in my life. Spirituality, not so much religion. Although I'm not sure whether a paradise on earth is for real or not (I'm leaning towards not), I do feel that God has something good for us in the next life.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Dede,

If you love the elderly, you will love being an assistant. Be prepared though. You will easily become attached, and it's hard to deal with if any you are close to pass on.

There is also a down side. You have to do rounds, and some of the patients will have special packages waiting for you when you make them. Don't let that scare you away. The good far out weighs the bad.

Shari

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Years ago my husband and another brother were working on some cleaning in a nursing home. He came home and told the craziest things these elderly ones would pull on him. Some of them were quiet mischiveous. One old lady wanted him to get her a carton of milk, and when he did, the nurse came by just in time and grabbed it from the lady. She got there because he asked the nurse if it was alright for her to have it. The old lady flew into a rage and called him a stupid son of b#$%%. Then quickly turned from the sweet little old lady to a witch.

He also had an old man hit him in the face,,,,, for what I am not sure. A lady that works there tells me the older ones are forever trying to escape, and they can find ways to get what they want. She said it is hard because some of them hate being there.

We used to go there out in fiedl service and it was sad to see them so lonely. I wish I had more time to spend visiting there. I am trying to make plans to go visit them on Tuesday's , I can take my little ones with me then. I think they would enjoy it too.

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

I'm not so sure that I've lived out any of my dreams, but I sure as heck have done things I'd never dreamed of. And I mean that in a postive way.

I was fortunate in that just prior to my df at age 19, I had already begun a career that would progress with time. The down-slide was getting involved in daily drunkedness...and not having dealt with my tramatic JW youth. Somehow those two, for me, went hand in hand.

Since my introduction into recovery 15 years ago, I've learned a lot more about visualization; creating what we desire. It all takes time and effort. I've accepted that for myself, each day is living my dream to some extent. I'm no longer plagued with nightmares about ARmaggdon nor do I worry myself about what that side of the family might think about me. That is living my dream to some degree. Not every dream takes on a physical acting out, such as career - although I'm a firm believer in going for the gusto...absolutely and positively, seek your heart's desire.

Of the many things I thought would interest me, it's funny really, each day brings a new encounter of some sort that allows me to practice the principles by which I desire to be guided by. Now I certainly do fall short on occassion, but that's ok. So I guess my dream today is living a simple, uncomplicated life. Which I do.

On the other hand, as for living out "a dream", we are planning to relocate in another state come spring. With us will be my son and his family. It's what each has expressed a desire for. Meantime daughter-in-law is enrolled in night classes, has 3 children under the age of 7, and works two days a week. So this grandma is getting closer to her "dream" of just being the grandma who helps with the grandchildren, gardens, does crafts, and will always continue doing community service work. And helping to enstill the knowledge that what we envision can become reality.

Granny, of the "dreams do come true" class......thanks for a great topic, DeDe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit