Are you living out some of your dreams yet?

by LyinEyes 31 Replies latest jw friends

• freedom96
    freedom96

The WTS really didn't encourage us to dream, for that was being greedy and self centered, and the end was going to come at any moment. Now I know that I have the time to cultivate my dreams, for myself, my family, and my financial goals. I also believe that God will not give you a dream that you cannot abtain. Whatever goals or dreams that you might have, go for it!

• Imbue
    Imbue

Dede, Your a pure hearted, I love your posts! Your threads are really the only ones I read here anymore.

I am thinking of starting a career in nursing in 5 yrs when my youngest son is older.

You can start now by taking one course at a time at your local community college. If you take one course at a time then double in a couple years. In five years you will have your Associates degree in Nursing and be eligible to take the state boards for a registered professional nurse. You may not need to put off all your dreams if you make little steps toward them each day.

I started studying as a teenager and wound up dropping out of college, where I studied fine arts, when I came into the troof. I did go back to college while a dub but it wasn't what I really wanted to do. I started to take art courses while I was a dub and was black balled for being spiritually weak. I will graduate with my second bachelors degree soon. (Actually I have another bachelors which I never applied for completion of the degree although I have the credits. I didn't want to have to reapply to the same college for a second degree)

Yes, I'm currently working toward living my dreams.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I have really enjoyed reading everyone's replies. You guys all have such a spirit about you that comes across this screen that makes me laugh, smile and proud to be in your company.

I think if one thing can out of being JW for so long for many of us, is that we treasure what we have now. For so long we had no dreams, we put our lives on hold waiting for the day , that never would come, only we believed it would. Now the little things in life make me smile. My son was asleep the other nite and the kitten was curled up on his head asleep. I just watched him for like 5 minutes while he slept and the kitten purred . Things like this I don't remember doing before, just really "stopping to smell the roses". Now life seems so much fuller, it really is fuller, with the present which take up a heck of a lot of time when you are living it,,,,,, and then the dreams of tomorrow.

I am thankful I got out at the age I am now, I still am young enough to dance a bit, if my feet don't give out. I am young enough to have time to study and find out what I need to , to have peace. I am also grateful that we got the children out and they are living a normal life. This year has been a first for everything for all 3 of them. I wouldnt change it for anything. I too, just enjoy watching them have a blast at the things I never got to do.

I thought I would add to the reason I want to be a nurse. My youngest son was born 2 months early and was in NICU for 2 months. I was there day in and day out, watching the care those nurses gave my son. These women and men, are the ones who saved my son,,,,,, the doctors of course did the major things , but the nurses took him as their own. They called me when he turned for the worse many times, knowing I would want to be there with him . They always made sure I had something to drink, something to eat, a blanket , a comfy chair, and shoulder to just cry on. When you are in one unit of a hospital you get very close to the people there and I watched them treat all the babies as good as mine. They all ways from the beginning wanted the mothers and fathers to do as much with the babies as they could, and I learned alot. To me , I know it was a hard job, some of the babies didnt make it, they babies hurt and it was always some test , some needle that the nurses had to admininister. Even if the baby didn't cry, many were to little to cry, the nurse would talk to that baby and you could tell in her voice that she hated to have to hurt the baby for just a minute, they did everything they could so as to not have to stick them.

I just was in amazement at their bravery, their self sacrifice,many stayed when needed , even thou dead tired. I thought now if I had a job, this is what it would be, if I were a millionaire , I would do it for free. Now being a mom, only makes me want to continue to take care of somebody.

• wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

In many ways yes I am working towards my dreams. One I knew from an early age I wanted to go to college and I was not going to let the JW's damper that one, I went away to college promising to go to meetings, knowing I never wanted to go back. I always wanted to have my ph D, well in december I will graduate with my masters and I am excited to be doing job interviews for occupational therapy, my dream job. I know that someday I will go back and get my ph D and I want to do more research. Another dream I have had was to be able to share my life with a another human being. I knew since I very early age that I very much was and am attracted to women and I can say now I am dating a wonderful woman and I hope to share the rest of my life with her. So yes I am pursueing and living my dreams. I can say there is one dream I am not living and that was my dream to play basketball on a big 10 team. I use to be really good, but unfortunately I quit when my parents made me when I was 14, and so I was not able to pursue that dream, but all and all I am pursueing my life's dreams!!!

• Mulan
    Mulan

I know what you mean, Dede. Our youngest was 6 weeks early, an emergency, middle of the night C Section, because the placenta separated. I was so terrified the first week. They whisked him off to a special hospital and I couldn't see him again for 5 days, until I was released from the hospital.

We only had a two week ordeal, but they told us after a few days that he would survive. The first few days were nail biters. He came home on the 12th day, weighing less than 5 pounds, and now is 23, 6' 2", married and healthy. (I have large babies, so even being 6 weeks early, he was just under 6 pounds, which was a plus for him............his lungs were a problem though)

One of our friends, who is still our friend (husband of my closest friend) would go with my husband every night, to see me with our kids, take the kids home to bed (they were 16, 13 and 10) and then drive back to downtown Seattle (about an hour round trip) to spend time with the baby and hold him............they would take him out of the incubator for a few minutes each night so Dave could bond with him. They would get home at midnight, and had to go to work at 6 the next day, but they did it.

The nurses were so wonderful, and called me every day, several times a day............at first I was too afraid to call them, so they would call me and be very cheerful in their greetings, so I knew everything was all right. They were sympathetic to my fears, and did a great deal to calm me, and reassure me.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Yes, I am totally living out my dreams! As a dub I never thought I'd go to college and even if I did I figured I STILL have to get into a field that JW's would approve of. I am a Psychology major now, but I'm moving so that I can also get a degree in Forensic Science, because I've always wanted to be in law enforcement (something I never could have been as a dub). I want to be a crime scene investigator for a while, or work in a crime lab, but eventually I want to work for the FBI and be a Profiler. I never could have done this as a JW.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I just want to say how much the warmth and humanity of the members of this board means to me.

Dede ,you have got us talking ,as you often do I know you can fulfil your dreams, at least you are still young enough to set out again.

You are lovely people and mean a lot to me even if we only meet electronically.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Some of your replies brought me to tears - what an amazing soul searching question and beautiful answers. Each reply touched my soul in some way....you guys are beautiful!!!

Like a few here, being raised JW my "dreams" consisted mainly of what I'd be doing after Armageddon. After those dreams were shattered, the disenlushinment lasted for quite a long time in which I still believed in the Big-A, but didn't believe I was going to be one who made it, so there was no need to dream then either, just got by day to day. I met my husband 8 years ago, and he helped me see so many things in a different light, I began to have hope. After the birth of our son who has autism, I found a niche in the special education field, helping parents understand their rights & work towards quality education resources for all our little guys. We also began foster parenting. Even with all this, I still had holes. My husband teasingly asks what I want to be when I grow up, and I realize I am now what I want to be, only want to do it better. So, back to school for me to get the education required on your resume to do things in a more professional manner to help those with special needs. Its probably not much in the scope of "saving the world", but every little bit helps.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

I'm still working on living out my dreams. I started my own business a little over a year ago but, that isn't my dream.

I want to build my business up enough where I can hire others to do the work, and then I will be able to go back to school and get a degree in what I REALLY want to do. Which is to become an RN.

When I was 16 I took classes to become a nursing assistant, and I really enjoyed working with the elderly. I started that job to be able to be around my great grandmother who was in that nursing home.

Shari

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Shari, what a fantastically sweet reason for a dream. I never got to meet my great grandparents. But, being a grandparent now is a wonderful feeling. One of my dreams is to a great grandparent and enjoy that too.

Lew W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit