Ray Franz -some personal recollections.

by Gilgamesh 41 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Gilgamesh
    Gilgamesh

This is my first post. Please forgive its length, its bad timing, its preachiness, its prejudices, etc. It's just one more opinion that I feel obligated to add.

In the interests of disclosure I'll reveal a little about my own bias. I think of Ray Franz as a dear friend. I said good-bye to Ray and Cynthia in their room on their last day at Bethel. To be honest, however, I have only seen Ray a couple times since then and have only spoken to him a few times by phone. I wish I knew Bill Bowen better. I have supported the silentlamb's work and have high hopes for SL's potential both to wake up JWs and help the cause of the abused.

Both Ray and Bill have been put on pedestals by some, and that's understandable. I know Ray well enough to know that, although he has always handled the pedestal with "grace and polish," he does not like the pedestal. Even before Ray left the JWs, his rare combination of humility, honesty, sincerity and good works endeared him to many people. I was privileged to listen to his morning text comments for several years from the time Knorr died until Ray left Bethel. I truly believe that the majority of Bethelites preferred to hear Ray's morning comments to those of any other GB member as they rotated each week. I knew many who would gladly skip breakfast just to avoid the grandstanding, the haughtiness, the harsh admonitions or longwinded ramblings of some of the others. Admitting this out loud would have embarrassed Ray, but I heard it stated often.

More to the point, I remember what seemed to be his favorite subjects: justice, righteousness, the spirit of the law over the letter of the law, the principle of true religion summed up in "looking after the orphan and the widow in their tribulation." One could easily understand his spirit, and therefore no one needed to hear him speak directly about rape, abuse, or pedophilia to know exactly where he stood on these subjects, or to feel the depth of his human compassion.

For that matter, no one needs to see me quote a bunch of scriptures, but they aren't to preach. I just thought it relevant to the discussion to show how awkward and incongruous Bill's comments must appear to anyone trying to imagine them actually coming from Ray. Ray spoke so often of freedom from law meaning that Christians are not to be motivated by rules. It had nothing to do with abandoning good principles (and good Laws) that serve to make justice and loving-kindness easier to administer. It would also mean that no one should be made to live by or impose a rule when its implementation resulted in injustice. Ray, through those breakfast comments, was probably the first to help me realize that both Jesus and Paul were saying that a good Law, even a Biblical law, SHOULD be broken when the letter of the Law results in harm. Jesus' sheep-rescue-on-sabbath example was to be directly applied to people, especially helpless lambs.

Specifically, the spirit of Paul's use of the two-witness rule was to promote justice and avoid unfair and false accusations. As Bill has emphasized, however, using it for cases of child abuse could easily result in miscarriage of justice. This is a perfect example of where the "Ietter of the law kills." Yet the spirit of that Law is still "protection from injustice," and it continues to represent an excellent spirit even when love might "forbid" its use.

There could be myriad reasons why Bill chose the words and claims about Ray. I have my own beliefs about it. But I'd rather forgive Bill than judge him. I still believe him capable of doing good, but I am concerned for the future of Bill's leadership and especially for the good work that he has championed. I can imagine a lot of folks will not be very forgiving, depending on how well they know Ray. It's so ironic that people have asked others to tone down the so-called attacks on Bill, for the sake of the organization (Silent Lambs). How can it do it's good work with a sullied reputation? It sounded all too familiar.

It is understandable that those who know Bill's reputation and good works are as anxious to defend him as I am anxious to defend Ray. Also, Bill's work has meant so much to many people on a very personal level, and those people especially would be expected to give Bill the benefit of the doubt. It might even be possible to entertain a suspicion that the 80-year-old Ray had perhaps begun feeling the fringes of senility. But a careful reading of Ray's response brings me great joy because I can see he is ever the spiritual, clear-thinking man I have known for a quarter century. I feel ashamed that I have not kept more closely in touch. Gilgamesh

• LDH
    LDH

What a beautiful first post. Thank you for sharing your memories. I judge neither Bill nor Ray harshly.

Lisa

• Mulan
    Mulan

thank you SO MUCH for your insights. You made some excellent points. Very fair too.

• larc
    larc

Gilgamesh, thank you for your very thoughtful and touching essay regarding our dear brother, Ray Franz. I did not spend as much time with him as you, but the time I did spend was of great value to me. Also, he helped me personally on editing something I had written. I had only asked if I had quoted him properly and in context. He took the time to, very carefully, go over every word I had written and help me make it a better piece of writing. That impressed me, the fact that he would take the time to do this for me.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Welcome to the board, Gilgamesh.

Thank you for coming forward with your views on a person you know better than the rest of us here.

Hugs,

j2bf

• onacruse
    onacruse

Gilgamesh, thanks for sharing your experience.

Your comments about the behavior and commentary of the Bethel breakfast "hosts" struck a nerve.

I never met Ray. But the entire tone of Crisis of Conscience and In Search of Christian Freedom, and Amazing's recent post of Ray's comments, runs contrary to the general spirit I felt as I listened to and watched other GB members. For that I respect Ray.

I also have never met Bill. But the purpose of SL is noble. And for that I respect Bill.

imho, these issues should not be a personality contest or a fan club promotion. Take the bad with the good, and move on.

But, since I've never met either man, I'm basically talking through a hole in my head.

Craig

• myself
    myself

Gilgamesh, what an outstanding post. Your genuine love and compassion for others shines through. Thank you!

Welcome to the board. I look forward to your posts.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Specifically, the spirit of Paul's use of the two-witness rule was to promote justice and avoid unfair and false accusations. As Bill has emphasized, however, using it for cases of child abuse could easily result in miscarriage of justice. This is a perfect example of where the "Ietter of the law kills." Yet the spirit of that Law is still "protection from injustice," and it continues to represent an excellent spirit even when love might "forbid" its use.

Excellent. Some people conveniently forget that Jesus said all of the laws were summed up in only two, love God and love your neighbor. That makes them the supreme laws and Paul's so-called "laws" about two witnesses, while fair in most cases, are not in all; and in any event, are under the supreme law of love. Child abuse is one of them. What kind of "love" is shown to children who are forced to live by a law rigidly enforced by the Watchtower Corporation when loving them and protecting them first and foremost is more important than any law the Watchtower Corporation thinks they have the right to make and/or enforce?

The Watchtower Corporation is a Corporation of rigid laws and rigid rules. The Pharisees of Jesus' day were a religious hierarchy of rigid laws and rigid rules. Jesus came to stop that abuse. The Watchtower Corporation stepped back into that picture and about 80 years ago when they started to put a huge maze of laws and rules right back in force. In effect, and by so doing, they are not only denying Jesus' laws, but by their very own practices, calling Jesus a fraud and a liar and putting themselves above him and what he taught.

Ray stated as much about the law of love being supreme and the "two witnesses" law was not meant for all cases and of course, Bill also agrees. If it was, it would also apply in murder accusations some congregations must deal with. But it doesn't, so even the Watchtower Corporation realizes that "law" is not supreme in all cases. When it boils down to this, I really don't see any disagreements between Ray and Bill that are important enough for all of this hullabaloo.

All the other nit-picking and side-taking is bullshit.

Farkel

Edited by - Farkel on 31 October 2002 23:23:16

• Flip
    Flip
    "...I remember what seemed to be his favorite subjects: justice, righteousness, the spirit of the law over the letter of the law, the principle of true religion summed up in "looking after the orphan and the widow in their tribulation."

If the above truly is representative of Rays attitude, its obviously at odds with the Watchtower Corporations unabashed pursuit of profit in the name of Bible education.

Its no wonder that anyone with a similarly vocal and influential persona as Ray Franz would be considered a financial liability and asked, in no uncertain terms, to take their independantly non-quantifiable philanthropy and leave the employ of the New York branch of the Bank of Jehovah.

Edited by - Flip on 31 October 2002 23:55:2

Edited by - Flip on 1 November 2002 10:44:29

• Mr Rocky
    Mr Rocky

We seeem to be concerned about Law of the Watchtower but not Law of the land here. WE are told to be in subjection to the superior authorities. I know of no scriture that says you cannot go to court, only that you lose all your money if you do. Back then the Apostles had Holy Spirit for deciding judgments and they could kill you on the spot, do we have that now, if so prove it. Even if one uses the two witness rule in the congregation it is no reason to intimidate them into not going to the superior authorities. Paul even used Roman citizenship to get a hearing against the Jews.

Bill Bowen can use all the help possible in the Law cases before the courts. I am thinking at first that Bill would have liked to have any info that Ray Franz may have had on the cases, as regards the thinking of the governing body, at the time when he was at the top. However it is obvious that Ray has no information on the subject and should be left alone!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit