Do you feel vindicated by the exposure of the WT Society in Australia? It seems like a feeding frenzy on here! I love it. You?

by Wasanelder Once 104 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty

@loveuni

P.S.

Why must elders who receive allegations of child abuse first notify the Legal Department, not the police?

To make sure they don't screw up like have done in the past. (and I mean that in the interest of the children, not the perpetrators). In any case, there is nothing stopping elders reporting to the Legal Department and the police simultaneously if reporting is mandatory.

• sir82
    sir82

there is nothing stopping elders reporting to the Legal Department and the police simultaneously if reporting is mandatory.

Other than the admonition given, literally dozens of times over the past 6 or 7 years, and repeated at EVERY elders school.

Ask any elder - even the most brain dead will tell you - "what do you do when you learn of an allegation of child abuse?"

CALL LEGAL FIRST

Not "simultaneously"..............................FIRST

• cha ching
    cha ching

And let's not be put off track by our previous abusers, the WT.. What about ALL the children? Are non-witness children taken into account?

Here is the second highest command: "Love your neighbor as yourself"

Will the WT be able to even lower itself to do this? ......... The WT can only think in terms of $$$$, so, "love of neighbor" has to be translated as "spreading the good news", and when you spread the good news, you get more publishers, and when you get more publishers, you get more money...

• done4good
    done4good

In any case, there is nothing stopping elders reporting to the Legal Department and the police simultaneously if reporting is mandatory.

You keep dodging the real issue. Why does reporting need to be "mandatory" for it to be done in the first place? If the JW system and bible are truly morally superior, this reporting in the interest of children's protection should be a given. Why does the WT only comply when required? Answer that and stop evading the real issue.

d4g

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney
    And in that not-recorded phone call, the person at legal will find out where they live and then if they are in a mandatory reporting state, tell them to report it and if they are not in a mandatory reporting state will tell them NOT to report it. They ONLY EVER report when it is absolutely required by law.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Nobody in those days made informing the police a top priority - imagine being a parent with a child in the late 80s (roughly the time when BCG was being abused). Your child alleges a brother abused him/her. Would you not immediately go to the police?

Not one of the elders involved in the BCG case went to the police. BCG at no time was encouraged to go to the police. BCG was at no time encouraged to seek psychiatric help. Do you agree with me that this is shameful?

Yes, I'm aware that the Commission was set up to look into many organisations. However, at the moment the focus is on the WTS. When other organisations come under scrutiny, I'll post comments about that.

• Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty

@done4good

You keep dodging the real issue. Why does reporting need to be "mandatory" for it to be done in the first place? If the JW system and bible are truly morally superior, this reporting in the interest of children's protection should be a given. Why does the WT only comply when required? Answer that and stop evading the real issue.

Because the question is about a second party (elders) reporting. But regardless of whether it is mandatory or not, the victim/parents are free to report it whenever they want. Obviously.

• Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty

@loveuni

- imagine being a parent with a child in the late 80s (roughly the time when BCG was being abused). Your child alleges a brother abused him/her. Would you not immediately go to the police?

That's the thing, many people didn't! And I am not talking about JWs

Just read the interim report, and you will have answers to all your questions

http://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/about-us/our-reports/interim-report-volume-1-final-020714_lr_web

Yes, I'm aware that the Commission was set up to look into many organisations. However, at the moment the focus is on the WTS. When other organisations come under scrutiny, I'll post comments about that.

They already looked at 28,the WTS is the 29th case

• sir82
    sir82

But regardless of whether it is mandatory or not, the victim/parents are free to report it whenever they want. Obviously.

Except, of course, in cases where there were not 2 eyewitnesses, and the elders threatened to DF the parents for "slander" if they informed anyone, including the police.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

That's the thing, many people didn't! - but I posed that question to you. For some reason, you chose not to answer.

They already looked at 28,the WTS is the 29th case - enough of your outrageous whataboutery. If you start a thread about how the Catholics/Protestants/Scouts/Girl Guides were grilled by the Commission, I'll post on that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit