I just got laid off

by eisenstein 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Prisca
    Prisca

Sorry to hear about the bad news. As the others have said, it's got nothing to do with whether or not you're attending meetings, going in field service etc. It's just one of those things that happens to all of us. It's happened to me, and I can understand the emotions you'd be going through.

Give yourself a few days to think about the next plan of action. Don't make any hasty decisions, just think about what options are now available, and do what's best for you and your family.

Hope something turns up soon!

• in3D
    in3D

Dear Eisenstein,

Take courage . . . I have also been laid off before and understand what you are feeling. Don't be too hard on yourself. I also believe things happen for a reason. When looking back on this in the future you will see!

Take time to regroup; take time to decide on what you would like to do; and just enjoy your time and do things that you have been wanting to do!

You are not being punished! Don't let anyone make you feel like you are bad in God's eyes or that something you have done has brought this upon you! You are precious and loved by God!

I was once told by a former JW (after I had been laid off and not to mention the fact that I could be on total disability due to a health problem) that I should be working, that "Christians should work", and I guess the fact that I had more time to "read and study for every meeting" was making the person jealous. LOL

Well, what I have learned since then, is that you should not live by other peoples' expectations-No matter how "right" they seem and how "good" their intentions may be.

I wish you much success and happiness! - in3D P.S. Congratulations Junior Member!!!

Edited by - in3D on 31 October 2002 22:53:56

• myself
    myself
    I love God, I love my neighbor, in fact I have felt closer to a higher being ever since I have left the JWs.

This shows you are on the right path in your life. Hard times can happen to anyone in any walk of life. It takes a lot in order to heal ourselves when we have been told that bad things have happened to others because they left a cult. It is a fear tactic, one of many.

• jst_me
    jst_me

I got laid off six months ago yesterday, and let me tell you, the emotional trauma of that almost matched the emotional trauma of my divorce (which was quite nasty). I was not prepared for that emotional impact.

Do a search online and read some articles about dealing with the emotional part of the lay-off, and try to be easy on yourself. There was nothing you could have done about it, and most likely nothing you did brought it on.

Companies see labor as a cost, and not a benefit. That is why they are so vicious. I really believe the IT sector needs to unionize.

No one told me how hard the emotional part would be....and it comes in stages (almost like grief). Just be prepared for it, and handle it as best you can.

ps I start a new job Monday...it pays less but it is stable and exactly what I want to do (unix sys administration). This is so much better of an opportunity....I would have never found it if I hadn't been made redundant.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit