Digital Cameras

by Billygoat 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

This isn't JW related or even of a serious topic, but I know some of you can help me. (Sixy are you out there???)

A few months ago I resigned from my well-paying corporate sales job to pursue something that would satisfy my soul instead of eating it up. I've since decided to pursue my life-long dream of becoming a photographer. It's super scary (I'm waiting tables part-time right now.) but at the same time I'm very excited about finally doing something I'm passionate about. But my little 35 mm is old and decrepit. I love the versatility of the digital medium and am in the process of finding a digital camera. Nothing super-expensive...just something to use to get my portfolio and experience built up. I even have a possible internship at a local photography studio!

Anyways...do any of you have recommendations for a good, solid little digital camera? It seems that amongst my friends, the Sonys are most popular. Does anyone have any experience with them or others? Any suggestions on what to stay away from or to focus on? Let me know...just shopping right now.

Thanks for helping!

Andi

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Andi,,,,,,,,,,,,,, this is so exciting..............I love to take pictures, too. I don't know squat about them, I can load an automatic 35mm but that is as far as I know.

I too would love to know more about the digitals.

Wow a photographer,,,,,,,,, that is one of my secret dreams too. To have one of my pictures of the cover of Time magazine............. oh the dream come true.

But,,,,,,,,,,,, sigh,,,,,,,,,, for now I take the best pictures I know how,,, of my children. I have some great ones too. I guess I have always had a knack for catching the moment.

I have some beautiful black and whites of my children that I treasure. There is just something in black and whites, that capture a timeless quality.

Oh I can't wait to watch your dream come true, I know you will be successful. Children are the best subjects,, to me there is nothing more beautiful than a child experiencing something with fasination for the first time and capturing that moment in time forever.

If my house was to burn down, I would go in after my pictures........... no joke.

Good Luck, Andi and be sure to post some of your work,,,,,,,,,, I am a photo addict....Dede

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Mine is a Sony DSC-S75 3.3 mega-pixel. It has lots of doo dads and buttons, but isn't all that hard to use. Along with whatever digital camera you get, make sure you also have a quality photo printer. I got an Epson Stylus Photo 820. less than $100 for it and ink cartridges aren't too expensive either. The camera was about $500 before extras, but a good one can be got for a little less.

Also, a good program for editing your photos can be found and downloaded free at Irfanview. Sorry, I don't have a link for it, but it is a real good program and the price is right.

Lew W

Edited to add the picture of my grandson I took two weeks ago with my Sony and edited with Irfanview:

As I learn it more, I hope to have even better pics turn out.

Lew

Edited by - DakotaRed on 30 October 2002 1:22:58

• Jigrigger
    Jigrigger

Hi Billygoat,

From what I have read about digital photography, if you want good quality 8 by 10 prints, you would need more that 3 megapixels. You need to get into the 5+ megapixel range in order to get decent resolution on prints that size. The best digital camera I've seen so far is an SLR digital camera with nearly 6 megapixels, but it's very pricey - approaching $2,000 Cdn. But you could do some serious photography with that baby...

I haven't heard of any digital cameras (available to the general public) over the 6 megapixel mark yet, but no doubt within a couple of years we could be looking at 8 or 10 megapixels...

Jrig

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Call me

• qwerty
    qwerty

Hi Billygoat

I have a Canon PowerShot, it's a great little camera although mine is on an A10 - 1.2 Mega P's. The newer PowerShot have 2+ now, I think they are the A30, A40 also G2 which has 4.0 MPix.

Taken with my A10

Canon POWER SHOT G2 Description
    A technologically superior digital camera capable of creating outstanding 4-Mega pixel digital images and delivering unparalleled quality A4 sized printouts using the award winning Canon Bubble Jet printer S800. The PowerShot G2 offers SLR-like control to the advanced amateur or semi-professional photographer. Offering the highest image quality in its class, The PowerShot G2 uses the latest 4 Mega pixel CCD to capture pin sharp pictures with every click of the shutter. With a high-resolution 3X optical zoom lens, reduced shutter interval, completely loss-less RAW image recording mode and new Digital Signal Processor (DSP) and RGB filter, the PowerShot G2 is a new photographic industry benchmark. The powerful PowerShot G2 was designed for truly creative digital photographers who demand precision image capture management. Three Auto-focus modes including continuous, single and 3 selectable AF points with 12 shooting modes (including Program AE, Shutter priority AE, Aperture priority AE and fully manual exposure control) means the G2 can always deliver exactly what a photographer requires.

One thing about digital cameras .......BUY SOME DECENT RECHARGABLE BATTERIES and an extra set too! Not to mention a fast charger. They are very, very power hungry, especially if you use the LCD screen alot.

Hope that help.

Qwerty

Edited by - qwerty on 30 October 2002 3:41:47

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

BG:

I have an Olympus Camedia C-3000- Zoom 3.3 mega pixels and I really like it. I has movie capabilities also.

Qwerty is right about the batteries too. I have 3 sets of batteries. They do eat up battery power.

Great to hear that you are pursuing something you enjoy. Ever read the book Do what you love, the money will follow? Great book!

Good luck!!!!!

Great Pic Dakota!!!!!! What a cutie!!

XW

• onacruse
    onacruse

qwerty:

Those are a couple of absolutely FANTASTIC pics. Just what my soul needed to see tonight.

Lew:

Your grandson is an excellent example of reverse evolution: you look just like him!

Craig

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I have a lower end Kodak and love it. When I was shopping for a digital I found the kodak was the simplest to use right in the store. I can print decent 4x6" pics but anything larger gets gets grainy.

I am looking now for a new camera and know I want a better zoom capability and am looking at this one

Kodak EasyShare DX4330
    zoom digital camera
    [Spacer]
    [Spacer][Kodak EasyShare DX4330 zoom digital camera and camera dock]

*Dock may be sold separately.

[Spacer]

This is one powerful camera. But dont be fooled the Kodak EasyShare DX4330 zoom digital camera is also amazingly simple. Youll be impressed with the new Indoor/Outdoor LCD as well as the exceptional-quality prints you can create in sizes up to 11" x 14" (28 cm x 36 cm)enlargements. Plus with creative settings such as landscape, night, and sports scene modes, youll get the exact look you want.

Amazing Picture Quality
    CCD resolution3.3 megapixel (2242x1473 pixels)
    image resolution3.1 megapixel (2160x1400 pixels)
    image quality3.1MP best (print, enlargement)
    2.2MP better (small print)
    0.8MP good (e-mail)
    aperturef/2.8, f/5.1
    optical zoom lens3X optical (38mm - 114 mm)
    digital zoom3.3X Advanced Digital Zoom
    focus distance0.7m (2 ft.) to infinity
    macro mode.07-.7m (2.8-28 in.)
    lens protectionlens cap tethered to body
    exposure controlmulti-pattern TTL/AE with program modes (auto, macro, landscape, sport, night, movie)
    shutter speed1/2-1/1700 sec.
    flash modeautomatic, fill, red-eye, off
    flash range0.6-3.4m (2.0-11 ft.)
    ISO equivalentautomatic (120-200)
    magnify2X and 4X in review
    white balanceautomatic
    sharpnessautomatic
    multi-zone AFautomatic
    matrix meteringautomatic
    High Performance Features
    LCD45.6 mm (1.8 in.) Indoor/Outdoor display
    scene modesstandard, landscape, night, sports, macro
    movie capturevideo and audio capture and playback on camera
    exposure compensation+/-2 in 0.5 stop increments
    long time exposureup to 4 seconds
    storage16MB and MMC/SD removable card slot
    Sophisticated Simplicity
    file formatJPEG/EXIF v2.2
    capture modeautomatic - always ready
    auto-orientationon-camera picture rotation
    deletededicated delete button
    viewfinderreal-image viewfinder
    softwareKodak EasyShare software
    interfaceUSB, Kodak EasyShare camera dock compatible; audio/video connectors
    video outNTSC, PAL (user-selectable)
    Other Specifications
    DC inDC-in jack on side of camera for 3V adapter
    tripod mount1/4 in. standard
    self-timer10 seconds
    power optionsoptional camera dock with Ni-MH rechargeable battery pack (in-camera charging); 2AA lithium or Ni-MH batteries or 1 CRV3 lithium battery, 3-volt adapter
    weightwithout batteries 210 g (7.4 oz.)
    dimensionsWxHxD: 110.5x66x39 mm (4.4x2.6x1.9 in.)
    warranty

one year

$ 679.90 CDN

The only thing that might change my mind is to find a higher pixel count and better zoom

• simplesally
    simplesally

I got the Sony DSC-P71. Its a 3.2 mega pixel, and that is as high a resolution that I need. I can buy a 64mg Memory Stick and have sooo much memory so I can really get a lot of high resolution photos on it. Plus with my memory stick, I can just load it direct into the printer.

I have Corel Paint to do editing, but I also have Photoshop Elements and I use I-Photo which comes on the Mac. I don't do a lot of editing, just cropping and red-eye.

Now, you have tons of info from lots of sources, what to do??? Call Sixy, he helped me decide what I needed based on what I use it for.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit