Elders admit huge numbers leaving

by mamashel 21 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

I think the internet is helping many to leave. The information revealing the changing WTS policies is a real eye-opener for many, including me(this board is where I learned about the UN scandal). I surfed for a number of weeks, after being told about the Silentlambs issue by another witness who taped it. It wasn't what made me want to leave in the first place, but it sure confirmed what I already knew about the society's don't ask/don't tell stance on abuse from firsthand knowledge.Seeing it in print made me realize that I could no longer remain loyal to an organization that claimed to fight for the rights of children and women (oh those slick Watchtower and Awakes), while in the back rooms of kingdom halls all over the world, they wielded the right to cut women and children off from their family and friends if they dare spoke out or sought legal action against their perpetrators(I was told not to call the police also, but my mother did anyway).

Also, when you are cut off from a way of life you've lived for many years, it can be a bit daunting to start a new one. It really helps to have a place like this board, where you can get advice from others who have been on the inside. I find that most people who haven't lived it have a hard time understanding why it's affected your life so completely.They don't understand that you just can't walk away from a kingdom hall the way you can walk away from the church of a mainstream denomination. I think having the boards to come to for support will help alot of people be able to get on with what is left of their lives. I know personally, when the elders came knocking, I thought of everyone here. When they relayed through my mother that I no longer had the spirit of God, and that I was cut off, I thought about everything I learned here.This board has really been a nice counter weight for me, and many others, I'm sure.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I think that in addition to the high numbers of young people leaving, they are particularly concerned over the increasing numbers of long-time Witnesses suddenly "disappearing" along with elders resigning.

In any given circuit it is a good probability that it is now scattered with these people that have quietly left and there are obvious undercurrents of dissatisfaction that will inevitably result in further departures.

At some point this will form an atmosphere of distrust leading to "witchhunts" and what has long been happening quietly and secretly will be pushed into the spotlight.

Path

• minimus
    minimus

Path, I totally agree with you. When I attended my last Elder's school last year, I could see the handwriting on the wall. One thing that I have noticed is that the Society plans things well in advance.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Let the witchhunts commence!!! I say the faster they begin to kick people out the better. After awhile the 'good' JWs are going to look around and wonder what the hell is going on now that 1/2 the people in the KH are MIA. Or why there is a disfellowshipping/DA every other week. All it would take is one popular person/family to go down talking, and suddenly the entire KH knows what's going on. One that ball starts rolling you never know how many people it might pick up on it's way down the hill.

• wildfire
    wildfire

WELL HI ALL I AM ONE OF THOSE LURKIN FOR A WHILE AND THEN READING ABOUT SO MANY ALL IN THE SAME PREDICAMENT....WELL it just made me brave,,,,, i suffer from depression.. and PTSS AND this place has been a life----saver to me... i am doing the slow drift,,,, i go to meetings sporadically and yes the dear elders are trying to save my soul....by trying to visit with me ... so far they have not succeeded but I will do this MY WAY THEY HAVE HAD ME FOR OVER 25 YRS.... they took 25 yrs of my life and i will fight going down..... can i get an AMEN BROTHERS HAHAHAH LOVE TO ALL YOU ARE MY TRUE FRIENDS..... THEY ARE ALL SHUNNING ME....BUT I COULD CARE LESS.. THEY ARE FALSE COMFORTERS LIKE JOB HAD ...... PEACE TO ALL

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Good to have you here wildfire. I hope you will find that many of your depression problems might actually 'cure' themselves when you detach yourself from the loads of emotional baggage that the JW religion has been heaping on you. It certainly can help you feel better about yourself when you are not telling yourself everyday that you are not good enough, are not doing enough for 'Jehovah'. Drop the guilt and live life!!!!

• Gopher
    Gopher

Wildfire,

You get a great big "AMEN" from me and WELCOME TO THIS FORUM!

• JT
    JT

Maybe because meetings are repetitive and boring, and the system doesn't allow people to express themselves (via sports/athletics in my case) as individuals.

%%%%

you got that right

• SloBoy
    SloBoy

Path,

You are right on about the "hunts". I Da'd a while ago, but not my wife. Of course I could be written off as "dead wood" anyway, always struggling to "get it right". Not so with the wife. One of their best pioneers. She is now "inactive" (sounds like an old nuke plant). Elders pop in every now and then to force the issue with her. Their concern is so transparent. She simply tells them that she is doing all she can and will leave it in God's hands. They slither away to set a trap at a more convenient time.

• acsot
    acsot

Me again, just posted a general topic "new here". We had our special(ly boring) assembly day last week and the speaker told us that so far (all the stats aren't compiled) there was a 2% (!) increase in publishers. Then said how marvelous it was that there was a 10% increase in Bible studies. Didn't specify worldwide, North America, Canada only or just the U.S. I thought it could be directly related to 9/11.

My question is how do they compile stats on Bible studies? I mean, someone could study for two months, then quit. Is that counted in the worldwide annual average? Hardly seems honest. Oh yeah, forgot for a second what "honest" means according to the WTS. Well, hardly seems realistic. Oh yeah, realistic, as in Armageddon, FDS, shunning, yeah, I guess that's the kind of realistic I do mean.

How would one go about trying to figure out the real statistics, I think I read it somewhere but for me math is more boring than the public talk book study I mean waiting in line at the post office.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit