Double Life

by restorebeauty 23 Replies latest jw friends

• shera
    shera

I know some JW's who live the Jw life,no celerbrating holidays for the kids,no b-days.BUT when it comes to them having fun,like going out and drinking on the weekends or get togethers at peoples homes.Thats ok.....

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

JW's are human beings, just like the rest of us.

The only difference is, they have to carry around so many "feelings of guilt" for doing normal human things

They have to look over their shoulder all the time to make certain a fellow "brother or sister" isn't turning them in, or labeling them. They are never sure of themselves, and feel like they must be really bad to want to do the things the WTBTS says they shouldn't.

Very sad.........

• restorebeauty
    restorebeauty

Sentinel:

I know the JW's are human beings, but shouldn't that ring a bell in their heads that something is wrong with this picture if they are being made to feel guilty about NORMAL things.

I think we all have a sixth sense to let us know when things are not right.

Common sense.

• Francois
    Francois

Double life here. Well, shoot, it was the sixties and I was in college. You think I was not going to grouse in all that goody? I may have been born at night, but not last night.

francois

• Valis
    Valis
    I did not pop up a Christmas tree in the living room, start smoking and swearing, or running around with a biker gang

And why not? I mean how can you be a good Apostate if you don't cuss, smoke, ride in a motorcycle gang, and put up an xmas tree in JulY? *LOL*

I lived a double life for a looong time as a teenager...at least till I could escape on my own.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• jws
    jws

I too led a double-life and here I am now. Did that double-life lead me here? Indirectly. When I met/dated a worldy girl who freaked-out when I told her what religion I was and had me watch a show on JWs, exposing them.

But before that experience, I pretty much felt the JWs were right. Maybe not right on everything and certainly not as perfect as some people believed. But I believed that, by comparison, it was the best religion out there.

I think my leading a double-life had much more to do with fitting into society than rebelling against JW practices. At the time, I believed there was a way I should be acting. I just couldn't live up to that.

• benext
    benext

I believe it's the "whistling past the graveyard" mentality. I'll do my thing away from the KH, but still go just in case the big A is coming.

• jws
    jws

I believe it's the "whistling past the graveyard" mentality. I'll do my thing away from the KH, but still go just in case the big A is coming.

Maybe for some. According to the official teaching, this is not the case. You can't just "go through the motions" to get saved at Armageddon.

When I was leading a "double-life", I believed that if the "big A" came, I would not be saved. I had no illusions that going to the KH alone would save me. But, perhaps, by going, I wouldn't drift farther away and eventually I might eventually get more spiritual. Maybe eventually my "worldly" needs would fade and eventually I might fit into organizational life.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Hi Restore,

You are right, it should "ring a bell" in their heads, and it probably does, that's why they have such a difficult time of it, being pulled in different directions.

The JW's are taught to ignore "common sense", no doubt because they are taught that they are not "common".

They are indeed uncommon.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

I used to look down my nose at people who were living a double life, the ones who would go to the meetings and look all righteous but were doing things at home or socially that would indicate they weren't 'whole souled'.

I regret that I had this attitude, as I now think differently. It is common for some JW to get tired, and rather then just walk away, they choose to walk away in their hearts...or to conduct themselves in the way they choose, but in secret. Their choice to stay or appear that they are staying in, is in most cases family and friends. The effort they go to, to get ready for the meeting and to attend, just for family and friends, is indeed, a big sacrifice. When really, in most cases they would probably prefer NOT to go to any meetings or out in FS...to stop entirely and just enjoy the fellowship and company of their jw friends and family. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

I do not think that those who sit on the fence should feel any shame in this if it is for the reasons described above. Good luck to em I say.

~Beck~

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit