Is Disagreement REALLY Fanning A Flame?

by minimus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

jst2laws,

: So yes, we can disagree without fanning a flame war.

That presupposes the other person is reasonable. I've learned the hard way that is not always so.

In fact, some people don't yet know that (at least in my case) attacks on an argument is NOT personal. It's about the argument at hand. I love my sister dearly. She's a loyal dub. We fought about almost everything. We still do. I still love her. It's NOT personal. No argument in the world we had could make me not love her.

I've attacked arguments made by some of my best online friends, and they've done the same to me. We still remain good friends. We agree to disagree, but that is the freedom we have to think things out our own way. This is FREEDOM that the Watchtower Corporation denied us: the freedom to express ourselves and to work out our own personal problems without an idiotic "Flock" book to get in the way and which tries to regulate normal human dynamics.

Farkel

• gumby
    gumby

That presupposes the other person is reasonable

Amen! Hallelujah halelujah, praise the lowd and Amen!

My how this board would be if this rule were followed.

I had an earlier discussion on another thread with someone who didn't believe animals ate each other( meat eaters) ....before the flood. After evidence was shown that Dinosaurs ate each other....before man was around.....it was as if the comment was never made. When people will not reason or at least comment in an honest way it gets you a little pissy.

• Perry
    Perry

Hi Farkel,

This is FREEDOM that the Watchtower Corporation denied us: the freedom to express ourselves and to work out our own personal problems without an idiotic "Flock" book to get in the way and which tries to regulate normal human dynamics.

I agree 100%. I have found that with that freedom comes responsibility to progress and learn. Let's face it, the WT kept us as children in some ways through the illusion of being masters of our world, or at least of our neighbors. There was a certain amount of indolence and comfort in that haze.

It's a lot of hard work to face the realities of life and not retreat into out pet illlusions. We might as well have stayed a WT drone if we seek to do that.

Nice points everyone.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Farkel: Thanks for the feedback. Check your email.

• bigboi
    bigboi
    What are you supposed to do when somebody tries to accuse or insinuate falsely?

Well one thing u can't do is let them just have their say. That never works. If somebody says something about u enough times, ppl begin to believe it, especially if they are a person whose opinion carry's weight around here on any other place on the net. That can amount to character assasination of the owrst sort in an internet community. That's why I think 'flamewars' can be healthy. It gives both sides a chance to air out the dispute and any onlookers a chance to make decision based on the comments given by the respective sides.

Edited by - bigboi on 29 October 2002 18:49:7

• Prisca
    Prisca

You can have a disagreement without the conversation becoming a flame-war - as long as one or both parties don't start making personal insults and lying about a person's motives.

As bigboi said, if someone does make an accusation or a false insinuation, I do believe you have the right to defend yourself. If people throw around enough mud, some of it will stick. Newcomers especially may not know the full story, and believe the lies they are told.

So if someone accuses me of lying, or saying something I didn't say, or insinuates something that offends me, I will speak up about it. I will not allow people trash my name or reputation simply because they don't have a good argument and they throw around insults instead.

Yes, I have been involved in flamewars in the past, and have said some things I should not have said. However, I believe you live and learn, and I am working on not making the same mistakes again.

• minimus
    minimus

I liked your response, Prisca. Now who can WE beat up on?....lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit