Where would you get married?

by Pleasuredome 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Maui, on the beach.

• SweatPea
    SweatPea

I have two daughters who had the traditional wedding with the long white gowns and trains attached. I didn't have that kind of wedding. My youngest got married first. My oldest married the following year. After my youngests wedding my oldest told me that she and her fiance would just go to a justice of peace and get married. She said this because she saw what went into putting a big wedding in place. She told me that she couldn't see me going through that again. I told her I wanted to do it one more time, just one more time for her. She granted my wish and has never regretted it. Her father [my first husband] fussed the whole time we were planning her wedding. He couldn't understand why a girl would go through all of that. It was senseless and a waste of money. When she and her husband left the reception for their honeymoon her father cried like a baby. He said he then understood and he didn't begrudge a cent that was spent.

Both of their wedding portraits hand on my bedroom wall and I still get tears in my eyes when I look at them. It is something that they will be able to treasure and not be like their mom who never had what they had because she was a JW.

I live in the south [NC] so I'm sure things are handled different in other parts of the world, but the newspapers around here have a bridal section. The brides picture and a detailed write up of her wedding will be included. I have never, never seen a JW wedding in the newspaper. Wonder why?

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I remember being a kid and at a wedding and asking my mom if I HAD to get married in a Kingdom Hall, she told me I should want to get married in one because it is a union between me, my husband, and Jehovah...*ahem* whatever.

Part of me (the whore side of me) wants a cheap trashy vegas wedding officiated by a japaneese elvis impersonator.

Another part of me (the traditonal sappy side of me) wants a small wedding in this formal garden near where I live. It is so gorgeous, and of course with me in the poofy white dress that my future husband has not seen, and the bridesmaids, and all that crap.

And yet their is another part of me that knows my family and (former) friends would never come to that sweet little garden wedding so I might as well run away and get married on the beach barefoot in Aruba or something. That sounds pretty damn cool anyway.

Who knows, I am not picky. Maybe I will let my future mother-in law make all the wedding plans. Ha!

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

i'm a simple guy...I don't want a big wedding...honestly i don't believe saying "i do" gets you in marriage. I believe it's the actual intercourse part that makes you "one flesh." (that's why virgins were so blessed back in the days of moses because they had freedom and sitll had their virginity, making them NOT in any sort of marriage...regardless of the 'i do's.' We have only one 'priest' Jah-Eshua and approach God by means of HIM ONLY. This is how i would have the wedding if i was given permission. 1) she proposes to me. Because i have no idea when she'll be ready. It doesn't have to be public...private is fine with me. 2) on the night set for the 'wedding' we would strip naked...hold eachother's hands face East say a prayer to God begging for forgiveness asking for mercy love and approval, and afterwards we would make love (marriage) go get it legalized the next day at court, and the next day setup a small ceremony, invite my friends and hers...eat and drink ...and just be appreciative of what Jah-Eshua and Jah have done for us. Then take off to whereever she wanted to spend the next month or couple of weeks for vacation. LOL i doubt anyone would do that with me, so i'll have to just go through with the wedding. Can't blame me for having my own desire. ~FS

Edited by - fiveshadows on 28 October 2002 19:33:8

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

I think getting married in a hot air balloon in the sky over the Northern California Wine Country would be a much more exciting way to tie the knot than to do so in a Kingdom Hall.

Athanasius

• joannadandy
    joannadandy
    i doubt anyone would do that with me, so i'll have to just go through with the wedding. Can't blame me for having my own desire.

FiveShadows-don't sell yourself short. I thought that was a beautiful idea. And frankly I found quite touching that you have obviously put a lot of thought into it. I am sure if you meet "the right girl" she will be more than willing to do that, or at least compromise and do your wedding and her wedding...

• onacruse
    onacruse

1st wedding: KH, my dad did the honors;

2nd wedding: Folks' house, my dad did the honors;

3rd wedding: Gonna be at Las Vegas, and Elvis is doing the honors!

YIPPEE!!!!!!

• ihatescreennames
    ihatescreennames

"Screw the white dress. If you're going to marry him, marry him Indian style, with a (insert funny Indian dress name here). That's the best."-Mish

Maybe just screw it all. The wedding doesn't mean much. It's the marriage.

Here is my dream wedding dress:

I want to get married in the green hills of the wine country. In Spring. It'll be all about worshipping God, and showing respect for relatives and friends. Little lambs will be frolicking the hills, and the most expensive item will be the flower girl dress.

Wisteria, also. Lots of wisteria. And white roses for you.

Maybe all three suggestions, nu?

Michelle

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

joannadandy

Thanks girl....i appreciate your comment however i am a good for nothing servent, i need to learn how to push my desires aside, ALLLLLLLLLL of them (selfish ones anyway)

Michelle, Amish really said that? Who was he speaking in regards? I cannot assume.

~FS

Edited by - fiveshadows on 29 October 2002 23:32:5

• ihatescreennames
    ihatescreennames

I'll never tell.

Michelle

"Speak English!" said the Eaglet. "I don't know the meaning of half those long words and I don't believe you do either."...

"Why," said the Dodo. "The best way to explain it is to do it."

-Lewis Carroll in "Alice's Adventures In Wonderland."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit