Where would you get married?

by Pleasuredome 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

the thought of getting married at the KH was very depressing. i always thought what a bore it would be, i mean afterall its a very special day in your life why do it at such a boring place? i always thought about going to an exotic location for mine.

what about you?

• blondie
    blondie

Botanical gardens are nice. Many cater to wedding parties and have indoor facilities in case of bad weather.

A friend's backyard, especially if they are a gifted gardener with nice flower beds.

On a beach in a tropical setting.

• Scully
    Scully

Anywhere but the Kingdom Hall!! Of course, you just know that there are going to be naysayers who will watch gleefully for any sign of unhappiness for the newlyweds and when it happens, they'll repeat the immortal words of Reverend Timothy Lovejoy:

"uh, this is very sad news, and it would never have happened if the wedding had been inside the [Kingdom Hall] with God, instead of out in the cheap showiness of nature."

Love, Scully

Edited by - Scully on 28 October 2002 8:35:18

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

I am not sure why, but I have never been interested in a big wedding. I would like to go to a small wedding chapel here in Vegas. It would like it to be just me and her without any guests.

From there I would like to have our honeymoon is some exotic place like Jamaica or Tahiti.

• jurs
    jurs

I think eloping is the way to go ! I was engaged to a different man before I married my husband. We had planned for a big wedding. What stress !!!!! I ended up not marrying him but I learned that I didn't want to go through all the stress of having a large wedding. My husband and I got married at the "hitching post" in Cordalaine Idaho. It was nice.

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

I got married in a Kingdom Hall, It was boring. I really just wanted to go to Vegas and get married. Big Weddings are too much stress.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

first wedding ----> kingdom hall ----> borrring

second wedding -----> a garden at a 100 yr old restored "Heritage House" Bed & Breakfast -----> absolutely wonderful

• jgnat
    jgnat

Someplace pretty.

The Devonian Gardens, Edmonton, Alberta. Or the

Muttart Conservatory

• Buster
    Buster

I went to enough KH weddings. I remember them to be just meeting extensions with some people in tuxedos on the stage. Invariably, the biggest turnoff was the 'talk' given by some elder selected by the couple. Really, was this the time to be explaining 'limitations in the relations between the two?' Of course we all knew he was talking about oral sex. The talk was always depressing - or maybe those are just the ones I remember.

I'ld rather get married in a cave by Mork from Ork.

But I read somewhere that in recent years the Society insitituted another man-made rule: some kind of Event Overseer or somesuch, to keep the sheep in line in the presence of worldly people and alchohol. Is this true? Anybody? Do they really feel they authorized to dictate that ALL events/gatherings/fun stuff needs the oversight of someone with a title?

- Buster

• Scully
    Scully

Buster:

But I read somewhere that in recent years the Society insitituted another man-made rule: some kind of Event Overseer or somesuch, to keep the sheep in line in the presence of worldly people and alchohol. Is this true? Anybody? Do they really feel they authorized to dictate that ALL events/gatherings/fun stuff needs the oversight of someone with a title?

Yes, it's true. Sad, but true. I think that goes back to '84 when there was a WT article regarding proper JW "etiquette" at large gatherings. Hang on while I check the WT CD-ROM......

<Jeopardy music>

***wt84 4/15, pp 16-22 Find Balanced Enjoyment at Wedding Feasts*** ...

Direction FromWhom?

10 At the feast in Cana, there was a director of the feast. (John 2:9) Similarly, at receptions today a capable, responsible brother may be authorized to oversee details. Being familiar with the newlyweds wishes, he can provide direction for the musicians, waiters and others, or can consult with the couple and then follow through. That may include overseeing the attendants. Together they would be able to assist the guests and deal with any party crashers. Bearing on the matter of control, note in Jesus illustration what occurred with a guest who showed blatant disrespect at a wedding feast.Matthew 22:11-13.

11 At many worldly receptions the manager of a hall or the band leader acts as master of ceremonies. He may know the normal routine and likely he has some practiced speech or suggestive jokes. But if you want a reception that harmonizes with Christian principles, would you have some worldly manwho was neither your spiritual brother nor a member of your familyaddress your guests or be the focus of attention? Would that fit the counsel to work what is good toward all, but especially toward those related to [you] in the faith?Galatians 6:10.

12 Sometimes the parents of the bride or groom help the couple by paying for the wedding reception. The parents thus may feel that they should have a major voice as to who will be invited, the type of food and drink that will be served or what the program will be. The Bible does not say who paid for the feast in Cana, but it does tell us that when an important matter developed the director of the feast called the bridegroom.(John 2:9) At a wedding reception the groom is the Scriptural head of the newly formed family. (Ephesians 5:22, 23) Hence, while he lovingly ought to consider the wishes of his bride on this special day, and their families wishes, he primarily needs to accept responsibility for what will go on and for what will not.

There you have it. Also notice that even though in many places that the bride's parents pay for the wedding reception, the groom is the one who is considered to be "the Scriptural head of the newly formed family." GAG ME!

By the way, we did follow this admonition for our wedding reception, and the idiot ELDER who served as "director of the feast" thought it would be hugely funny to shut everything down while we went back to our hotel room to change into our "going away" attire. We arrived back to the reception hall two hours before the designated ending time to find the place deserted. He told us afterward that - even though we told him otherwise - he figured we probably wouldn't be coming back. The @$$hole.

Love, Scully

Edited by - Scully on 28 October 2002 15:57:59

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit