What does Wall St. and JW's have in common?

by Tanalyst 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Tanalyst
    Tanalyst

In order to survive both need a "sucker born every minute".

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Wrong!!!!!!!

They both have money. Sucker!!!!!!!!

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Fred:

Quite a lot of it was yours!!

Sucker!!!!!

Expatbrit

• larc
    larc

I think your depiction of Wall Street is incorrect. If a person takes the time to learn investment principles and invests wisely, one is not a sucker and can do well to insure oneself of a financially successful retirement.

Did you take this fear of the stock market with you when you left the Witnesses?

• neyank
    neyank

Along with the discussion on Wall St.
    I always wondered how the WTS could condemn buying lottery tickets
    but it was ok to play the stock market.
    To me it's the same.
    You take a couple of dollars and buy a couple of lottery tickets
    or you take a couple of dollars and buy some stocks.
    Either one could win or loose.
    But the WTS doesn't see it that way.
    neyank

• larc
    larc

Neyank,

The lottery and the stock market are quite different. In the typical state lottery you get 50 cents back for every dollar you put in. In other words, on average you loose half your money. By contrast, in the stock market you average a 12% per year increase in money, causing it to double every six years. Done with some intelligence and knowledge, investing in stocks is not gambling. It is a sure thing over time. That is why I was able to retire early.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I always wondered how the WTS could condemn buying lottery tickets
    but it was ok to play the stock market.
    To me it's the same.
    You take a couple of dollars and buy a couple of lottery tickets
    or you take a couple of dollars and buy some stocks.

Not that I in any way approve of the WTS choice to shun people for playing the lottery, but, the stock market is NOT the same. You may choose to "play" it as if it was the same, but it is not a game of chance for the people who are using your money for their business. And, while it may not seem this way right now, for one person to make money in the stock market, another person does NOT have to lose money. That is very different from gambling.

I've heard this argument before, and frankly, it doesn't hold water for me. The only similarity that exist would be in the attitude of the "player". Funny, it is the attitude that the WTS condemns, and rightly so, perhaps. However, since no one can really read anothers motivation, I do think they should just butt out.

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

both are in the annuity business?
    http://www.ins.state.ny.us/cdcha.htm

One doesnt pay taxes tho!

• trevor
    trevor

I am with larc on this one,

Those that choose to invest in shares know the deal, the risks and the rewards. If you get it right
    they do pay out. You can take the money and spend it in this lifetime, when you choose to.
    The dividends are genuine and it is only money that you play with, not your life. You can spread
    the risk between companies too - the WT won't let you do that with them.

When did the WT ever pay out the promised reward on time or even an interim dividend?

• larc
    larc

Stephen,

No, I am an informed consumer. Trevor, you can further reduce the risk by putting your money in a well managed mutual fund.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit