Special talk today

by OrangeBlossom 22 Replies latest jw friends

• silentlambs
    silentlambs

i went to the special talk today and it was the most encourageing part that i have heard in years. it moved me to forget everything and do whatever they said from now on.

APRIL FOOL!!!!!!

• riz
    riz

silentlambs,

LOL! It must be the subliminal messages in the kingdom melody tapes.

riz

• brother hezekiah
    brother hezekiah

After the guilt trip from my mother, my wife and I attended the "special talk" sunday. It was all I could do to contain myself. Not only was one of the congo's most dry inept speakers choosen to deliver this true gem of theocratic wisdom, the speaker referred to Jah as a "superhero" and Jesus as his faithful "sidekick"! My wife had to nudge me as I fought to contain myself. Nothing "special" in this one, and the usual Christ's sacrifice is a gift from Jah to all, buttttt.....You must 1.)Attend all Meetings. 2.) Study your lesson. 3.)Well I think you get the picture......

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

if a talk is special ,
    then the normal ones arent necessary?

do you brush your teeth a second longer?
    do you wear a special dress?
    is there MEDIA coverage?
    are there SPECIAL CONTRIBUTIONS?
    do you ride in a special car to the special talk and look up scritpures in your special bible, taking a special break to go potty,smiling in an oh special way, talking to dubs after about being feeling special,

ya know who is responsible for this

SATAN

now isn't that SPECIAL
    Thanks to dana carveY

• dedalus
    dedalus

A "special" talk? Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

So why do they always dog science, anyway? "Science hopes to end death but is unable." I'd like to meet a single scientist who believes she/he can end death! Scientists try to understand life. Period. But the Organization holds them in such contempt (except for the crackpots, deviants, and fringe amateurs they quote in the Creation book)!

I remember a convention part in which the speaker sneered from the platform: "Scientists have discovered billions of stars, but do they know how the universe came into existence? NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Scientists have cured diseases, but can they made humans immortal and give them X-ray vision? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Scientists have explained the natural forces that operate on our planet, but can they rub their stomachs while patting their heads? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

So stupid. Sort of like this special talk. Anyone see *Welcome to the Dollhouse*? "Um, 'special' means, like, 'retarded.'"

Dedalus, who apologizes for the non-politically-correct content of the last sentence

• Prisca
    Prisca

Hey!

I can rub my stomach while patting my head! Does that make me special? Or a scientist?

• TR
    TR

Here's the only SPECIAL thing about the WTS:

This is April 2nd, so it's no joke.

I do remember a "special" talk given by a GB member at the Tacoma Dome several years back. Was it Carey Barber? John Barr? The one from down under. Anyhoo, he went over on his talk a half an hour. I was so pissed! They're always pissin' and moanin' about us staying within our time limits on talks, and one of the head cheese forgets that there's such a thing as a clock. I would say that he strayed from his speech a tad. After his time was up, and he kept going, I didn't hear a fricken word he said. I remember bitchin' about it to other dubs after the show, er convention.

Yep, them were the bad ol' days.

TR

• dedalus
    dedalus

Prisca,

I can rub my stomach while patting my head! Does that make me special? Or a scientist?

Well, even if you are a scientist who can rub her stomach while patting her head, can you make people live forever and ever? Oh, I didn't think so!

Dedalus

• Moxy
    Moxy

> I'd like to meet a single scientist who believes she/he can end death! Scientists try to understand life

well, there actually has been a lot of research on this of late. some interesting stuff. there was a quote from someone scientific saying that 'he believed that our generation could be the first to live forever' - i doubt that most scientists are quite _that_ optimistic but im sure there that the possibility is not considered an absolutely wild idea.

more to the point of scientific content, our speaker, when discussing the origin of imperfection from one man, mentioned the Human Genome project as verifiying man's common ancestry (prolly not from the outline). that hurt. dont bring the human genome project into this please, i was thinking. it says far more than that and its insulting to have it boiled down to one sentence in support of Genesis.

mox

• dedalus
    dedalus

Hey Moxy,

well, there actually has been a lot of research on this of late. some interesting stuff. there was a quote from someone scientific saying that 'he believed that our generation could be the first to live forever' - i doubt that most scientists are quite _that_ optimistic but im sure there that the possibility is not considered an absolutely wild idea.

I'd really like to know where you heard about this guy who thinks "our generation could be the first to live forever." Sounds like something from the Watchtower -- vague, out of context, no source given, etc. I'm just wondering is all.

Of course, scientist usually work to improve and prolong life, and sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I'm talking about scientists, not mad scientists.

I agree with you that it is rather reductive when people in the Org try to incorporate science into their discourse. Every discovery and marvel can only be talked about in one way: "Isn't Jehovah wonderful ...!" There are Witnesses I know who can't watch a sunset without spouting some "theocratic" nonsense. How deep.

Dedalus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit