Holiday Crafts

by VeniceIT 19 Replies latest jw friends

• more2C
    more2C

Since I work at a Arts and Crafts gallery, I see crafts all the time. One of our best sellers, is cinnamon stick santa ornaments.

1. Paint a white beard on on one end of the cinnamon stick.

2. Add eyes with paint.

3. Glue a festive ribbon behind the stick in the shape of a loop to hang.

You could also do this with white paint all over and make it into a snowman.

There are all kinds of ideas in craft store magazines, or you might want to check out your local library. Also, this time of year, there are craft shows. Check your local newspapers.

Good luck!

more2C

• Valis
    Valis

Ask and ye shall recieve Vennies...I always end up doing the more traditional stuff like mistletoe, popcorn strings, poinsettias everywhere, and last year I had ornaments my kids made all over the tree...I always keep a few each year to go back on the tree...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

WHoohooo WOW these are all great ideas. I was talking to someone the other day about it and I'm such a novice at all this. Those websites were great.

Thanks for reminding me about the mistle toe *looks in costco for a VERY LARGE branch*

How do you keep people from eating the gingerbread cookies?

BTW just a helpful note if using cranberries on the string make sure not to use frozen cranberries

I luv the name ornament things, and the crystal ones, and I'm deff gonna start saving my eggs!!!!

Thanks so much everyone, keep the ideas coming because I know I'm not the only newbie!!!

Ven

Edited by - VeniceIT on 25 October 2002 18:38:14

• Mulan
    Mulan

Ven, we have pictures of the amazing disappearing Gingerbread man. I'll show you next time. It makes for a more interesting looking Christmas tree.

You can't keep the little ones from eating them piece by piece, unless you hang them high on the tree.

Edited by - mulan on 25 October 2002 18:40:24

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Little ones????? How do I keep dad out of them!!!!!

I guess I won't put chocolate on them eh

Ven

• Mulan
    Mulan

Oh yeah. I forgot about him. No chocolate. Use raisins.

• Valis
    Valis
    How do you keep people from eating the gingerbread cookies?

Make them a month ahead of time..*LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer of the "Satanic Santa" class

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

Ven,

I have lots of stamp art ideas for ornaments. Paper clay, stamps, ink and paint with a little wire...really pretty and you can add sparkles too. Paper beads with wire make nice garlands. And I just saw some really cute 'snow men' that look like marshmallows, think they would be easy to make as long as no one has a big appetite for marshmallows (not a problem for me, only like my marshmallows on fire).

Mrs Rocky

• Princess
    Princess

Zoe ate one of the gingerbread men one limb at a time. I noticed one day he was missing a leg, next day another, then an arm. Finally it was just a head and then a lonely string hanging on the tree. Fortunately I thought to take a daily picture of the "amazing disappearing gingerbread man". Made a great scrapbook page. Valis has a good idea. Make them now and hide them in your closet or something. Your dad won't touch them in two months!

One year I bought a bag of starlight mints (the kind you find in restaurants). Take a cookie sheet and spray it with Pam, then arrange the mints in a small circle with each mint touching the next. Put it in a low oven (I can check the temp, 200 or 250) and watch them. They will melt together and form a pretty wreath. Hang them on the tree with a pretty ribbon.

I was at the craft store today and they had the clear glass ornaments spray painted to look marbled. They were hung with a wired ribbon. Really pretty.

One more. This is great for kids. Take half cup cinnamon (MUST buy at Costco for this!) and half cup applesauce and put in a ziplock bag and knead until it forms a dough. Roll or pat it to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and use cookie cutters to cut shapes. (bell, tree, snowman etc). Poke a hole in the top, let dry, put a ribbon through the hole and they make cute and great smelling ornaments or package tie ons. The craft book said to let them dry for a few hours but we found that it took a few days.

Rachel

• KKLUV155
    KKLUV155

I liked what I did last year. I bought the very inexpensive suncatchers that you paint yourself. They were in the shape of angels and other christmas objects. When the christmas lights reflected off them it is very sparkley and shiney. I hung them on the tree along with every flavor candy cane I could find. Walmart has about ten different flavors. My family loves to steal them off when I am not looking. But I don't mind. I just love christmas. My favorite time of year.

kkluv

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit