Holiday Crafts

by VeniceIT 19 Replies latest jw friends

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

I've noticed that this is the first holiday season for many here on the board. That means there's gonna be some pretty sad xmas trees this year And ornaments are spendy. SOOO I was thinking that making your own is a great inexpensive way to liven them up.

So my question is does anyone have any great holiday craft ideas???? any websites with some tips????

Ven

• Mulan
    Mulan

Well, ................I told you what I was going to do, but I guess I will post it anyway.

I am using glitter glue to personalize ornaments with all the names in the family. I saw it on a soap opera 100 years ago, and thought it was something I would do if I celebrated Christmas. Everytime there was a new family member, they would have that person hang their ornament on the grandparent's tree. A neat tradition.

I bought cheap ball ornaments after Christmas last year, with this purpose in mind. I might make a Venice one.

Edited by - mulan on 24 October 2002 22:53:32

• Shakita
    Shakita

Hi VeniceIT:

This year will be our first in a long, long time.

I think we will be doing some old fashioned things. Like, stringing popcorn, making some of our own ornaments, etc... But, definitely, I would like to go and cut down our own tree this year. Sounds like fun. We'll see.

One place you could try for crafts is acmoore.com. They have crafts to make on that site.

Mrs. Shakita

• dottie
    dottie

Another easy thing is getting some nice ribbons to tie onto branches to fill in here and there. Make sure you get out to the sales after Christmas; there are always awesome deals on ornaments as they're clearing them out.

Have fun and Merry early Christmas!!

Dottie

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I've described this trick before. It starts with eggshells, about this time of year.

Every time you use an egg (if you were going to beat/scramble the eggs anyway), don't just crack the shell. Using a steak knife, chip a hole in each end about as big as your little fingernail. Blow out the egg and make your recipe.

Trickle water into the shell and rinse it out. Also, wash the outside of the shell with slightly soapy water. Set it aside to dry.

Repeat whenever you get the chance.

Around the time you buy the tree, also buy a set of watercolor paints, some different colors of glitter, white glue, and green pipe cleaners.

Cut the pipe cleaners in half. Make a sharp L-shaped bend at the end of each half-pipe-cleaner. Run one through the holes in each eggshell and curve the other end into a convenient hook. The L-bend will keep the eggshells from falling off.

Now paint each eggshell and hang it up somewhere to dry.

When they're dry, glitter them in gaudy patterns. Let the glue dry. Decorate the tree.

Voila! Christmas ornaments that vaguely resemble those glass balls, practically for free!

GentlyFeral

• Princess
    Princess

Hey Ven! Mulan and my kids make gingerbread people cookies every year. If you make a hole in the top before you bake them, you can string ribbons on them and hang them on the tree after you decorate them.

Craft stores sell clear glass ornaments. You can use paint pens, stained glass paint, glitter, colored sand and all sorts of other things to decorate them.

The best way to collect is to shop the after christmas sales.

Now I know what to get you for Christmas! The kids will love to help you out too.

Rachel

• QUEENIE
    QUEENIE

I LOVE DOING CRAFTS at anytime of the year guys--it is a positive way to spend one's time..4 me especially as it keeps me from thinking and boo-hooing about my ill health....(((HUGS))) queenie

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Spraypaint pine cones gold, silver or glittery. Pile up on a platter or use to decorate wreaths or tree.

• mpatrick
    mpatrick

We started a tradition of making construction paper rings...it's easy for little hands and it adds alot to the tree!

You could have a Christmas tree decorating party and ask everyone to bring an ornament...it makes for a inexpensive gift, and the memories will last a lifetime!

Merry Christmas!..umm, I mean Happy Halloween!

• imanaliento
    imanaliento

hi, I noticed some foam ball bead and ribbon ornaments that you can easily do, They were at Walmart in the craft isle. I've made some crocheted snowflakes long ago that I always kept, if you crochet I can send you instructions. Jackie

and the stringing popcorn with or without crandberries is fun.

also check out the thrift stores, thats where I bought my blue ornaments, wreath and table decorations.

Edited by - imanaliento on 25 October 2002 12:55:10

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit