I'm not ready to exhale

by teejay 14 Replies latest jw friends

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Bin readin' some good stuff on fear/criminology/violence. Suggests that criminals/monsters are humans too. Operates on the premise that human behavior, even criminal human behavior, is predictable. Some of the pre-incident indicators mentioned are justification (or perhaps we could call this one rationalization), capability or perception of capability, and pride/dignity/ego (or the loss thereof). I think what you called "personal glory" and "arrogance" is really something difficult to detach from the human animal, criminal/violent or not.

but they will not be tripped up by arrogance

Sure they will. And if not, optimist that I am, I lean to thinking that they will be tripped up by something. Nobody's Perfect.

---------

As for the media:

I think the media needs to shut the hell up.

Amen.

a TV reporter said: "The nightmare is over."

TV news is little more than one extensive re-run commercial with minimal pragmatic value for the good guys.

The good news is that the media (and even hollywood) have been broadcasting, for years now, the loud and clear message that bad guys often get tripped up in their own arrogance.....and STILL the bad guys get tripped up in their own arrogance.

The bad news is perhaps that, arrogance is probably what tripped up the good guys too.

SPAZ

• Bod
    Bod

Rubbish.

The Al-Qaeda killers and the Washington sniper both had a need for recognition. The difference was that the Al-Quaeda killers weren't worried about their identities being discovered after their crime.

The media putting out the message that arrogance will get you caught will not teach killers to be less arrogant. If they stop being arrogant they won't kill in the first place.

The most dangerous killers are the ones who feel no need for recognition from the outside world, usually because they are a close knit team of two or more people. Fred and Rosemary West were a case in point. Similarly killers whose reason for killing was sexual or sadistic also trip up far less, and are only ever caught when one of their victims escapes their clutches.

Television has an important part to play in educating the public. Killers and Al-Qaeda operatives can get their knowledge from other places.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik
    If they stop being arrogant they won't kill in the first place.

Yeah, that's whut I'm talkin' bout!

But I still say TV news is 4 parts fear-mongering to 1 part edumacation.

SPAZ

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Still, it was TV news that caught these guys.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I don't think we can relate the Al Qaeda to the two snipers in the DC area.

The motives of the snipers is entirely different than the Al Qaeda and the training and philosophy is centered around different goals.

If an Al Qaeda member demonstrates the kind of arrogance usually found in serial killers the leaders will get rid of them. They are more comparable to the military in their thinking and training except they train for different methods of attack.

I think that to apply the same methods and psychology to the Al Qaeda as used in the criminal justice system is a mistake.

Outoftheorg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit