Wedding Ceremony

by JohnR 19 Replies latest social family

• JohnR
    JohnR

My brother and his family have been JW's for over 10 years now. I am not and no one else in my family is a JW. My brother's son will be getting married shortly and we will be attending the service in the KH. I would like to know what to expect before we get there. Any information or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

• outnfree
    outnfree

JohnR,

You should expect a very dull and joyless ceremony. An elder will perform the marriage ceremony. There will be attendants. The bride is allowed to walk in on her father's arm, dress in white (but no garters to throw to attendants at the reception later), and the groom will await her on the platform. There is no altar. There will be some music. The elder will give a talk about marriage and its institution by God Himself and how the married couple are to conduct themselves. They will solemnize their vows with ring(s) (even though JW's say they won't do many things because of their pagan origins, somehow the wedding band has slipped through the many prohibitions). The elder will pronounce them man and wife by the power vested in him by whichever government. The congregation may clap. Then the couple will exit to music and perhaps have a receiving line in the back of the hall.

You will not be required to do anything more weird than smile, nod and try to keep awake. You will be seated for most of the ceremony.

I hope your brother is a liberal JW and that there will be booze and dancing at the reception. That is, if you worldly people are invited to the reception.

Good Luck!

outnfree

• freeman
    freeman

As you are probably aware, the first wedding was performed by God himself in the Garden of Eden. The JW wedding is a simple ceremony fashioned after the verses in the Bible book of Genesis. There will be many scriptures quoted outlining the responsibilities of both the husband and the wife.

You should be aware that they dont throw rice at the end as this custom is of pagan origin, so dont bring any.

For most people the most striking difference is the nudity. The audience is not required to be nude, however understandably the bride and groom are, as the first bride and groom were. I would say that 75% of the time the wedding party is also nude, but that is not mandatory, only the bride and groom must be nude just as the first bride and groom were back in Eden.

Its actually a very lovely ceremony, Im sure you will enjoy it.

Freeman

• BobsGirl
    BobsGirl

LOL Freeman ..... you are a riot!

• JohnR
    JohnR

outnfree,

Thank you for the information. I prefer not to speak to my brother about anything to do with the KH but still wanted to not be surprised at the wedding. I guess you could say he is liberal because they do drink so I think they will have alcohol at the reception. Which we are invited to. The only problem will be that a good 2/3 of the guests will be JW's. Should be interesting.

freeman,

The bride has a dress, my nephew a tux etc. so there won't be a nude bridal party at this wedding. But that does sound most interesting. Tell me, have you actually witnessed a nude bridal party at a wedding?

JohnR

• jurs
    jurs

John,

He's just joking ! You'll be dissappointed to know that there will be no nudity. I know , what a let down!! Jehovah witnesses for the most part dress modestly. This I know full well, when I was a witness i was "talked to" because my skirts were too tight !!!!

You said it should be intereting, ummmmm it won't be. You'll be bored stiff !!!!!!

jurs

• Scully
    Scully

John:

Just to give you a bit of a "heads up", I think you should be aware that if the tables were turned and it was your son or daughter getting married, your JW brother and his immediate family would refuse to attend the wedding if it takes place in a religious establishment. They feel that to attend a wedding ceremony in a church would be an act of apostasy or engaging in a false religious ritual. They believe the scripture that states "Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers" applies in this instance. They will however, feel no qualms about attending the reception and taking full advantage of your hospitality and any of the privileges you extend to the guests at the reception. Their gift to your son or daughter will likely be in proportion to their esteem toward people they believe are going to be destroyed by God in the very near future.

Love, Scully

• jurs
    jurs

Scully, good point !! I think its important to add that if they did attend a wedding in a church rather than a kingdom hall they could be disfellowshipped. I know of a lady who was disfellowshipped for going to her own daughters church wedding. So John, you can attend a JW wedding but don't expect them to attend a wedding if its in a church because likely they wont. That goes for funerals too.

jurs

• Shakita
    Shakita

John:

Expect to hear the word JEHOVAH repeatly inserted into the wedding ceremony oration. You will not leave that wedding ceremony without the word JEHOVAH drummed into your brain with every other word. Why they do this is plain and simple. They want to preach to you at every opportunity. This is just another opportunity.

Also, during the reception, you will not be toasting the bride and groom. Not allowed. You will not be catching the garter or watching a bouquet tossing because they are not allowed either. You will also be subjected to more praying before dinner with the word JEHOVAH repeatedly said throughout the prayer.

But, regardless of these small inconviences, I am sure you will have a good time. Witnesses are known to drink to alleviate the stress of being a witness, so alcohol will be plentiful I am sure. And, food is allowed. Just no blood food products. And, dancing is permitted, too. Have a good time. Just bring earplugs.

Happy Wedding,

Shakita

• JohnR
    JohnR

jurs,

Thanks for pointing out that freeman was just joking. I knew he was also but asked the question hoping he might come up with another amusing story. Sorry to hear you were "talked to" about your skirt. Did that cause you to wear something more appropriate or were the boys just as happy to see you the next time?

Scully,

It is rather strange what my brother will and won't attend. He and his family have attended funerals that were in Catholic churchs. They went because an elder said they could attend as long as they did not "participate".

Shakita,

I am sure if nothing else I will have plenty of interesting stories to tell. Funny you should mention that they do not have a toast. There is a little family tradition we have which is a small toast after the meal blessing. The JW part of the family does not always participate. I guess now I know why.

JohnR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit