BS Vacuum

by hippikon 26 Replies latest jw friends

• hippikon
    hippikon

Why do so many substitute one type of BS for another. As if there is a bullshit vacuum in the universe or something. I’m referring to those that leave the JWs and join or start something even more wacky. You know who you are!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

it seems to me that the majority of ExJWs belong in the agnostic/atheist 'class'. Having been completely destroyed in faith by the machinations of the borg, they are spiritually depressed and empty. This is one of the great acts of wickedness of the borg.

For others, who retain a real faith in God, they feel that they would like to worship or praise God, and find a place to do that.

Isn't it great that all are free to do so!

Cheers,

Ozzie

• hippikon
    hippikon

It’s the extremes I refer to. Or should I say much of the same with a twist.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

You mean like leaving Dachau and going to Belsen?

• outnfree
    outnfree

Hippikon,

I know that even BEFORE I left the Borg I went exploring to find another place that I would find comfortable. I asked God to help me.
    I, like Ozzie, am still a believer in God. I wanted somewhere to fellowship. I found a place that calls itself pre-denominational (I rather like that!) yet, it is not an ideal church for me, because it espouses the Trinity and I do not.

Nonetheless, as I said elsewhere, I can disagree without getting disfellowshipped, I have others with whom I can discuss my faith, I'm feeling good at not being completely spiritually adrift, and I don't know how long I'll stay there, but isn't it nice that the pastor and elders have told me I'm welcome to rest there on my faith journey wherever it takes me!

As Ozzie inferred, I did not want to be "spiritually depressed and empty." In fact, when I had made my decision to disassociate myself and delivered my letters to the elders on Tuesday, I felt compelled to attend the Women's Bible Study on Wednesday PM because I needed spiritual sustenance. And I left praising God and feeling FULL! Because I knew that with their help I could make my way out of the Organization and survive, spiritually.

So that is my reason for joining another group. But it's not extremist or wacky, rather perhaps a little too orthodox for me!

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Hi there:

Interesting thought!...one I've thought of for my own situation.

I guess part of it depends on why one became a witness in the first place. Some joined having a spiritual void needing to be filled. Some were convinced by witnesses that their (church) beliefs were wrong and their efforts of worshipping God were displeasing so they left their former church and became witnesses.

Now, perhaps these kinds, after finding out all the errors in the "truth" are once again looking for something to fill their spiritual void. Some having been treated harshly by the org. find the salve for their wounds in becoming emotionally entrenched in another org. that "guides" them and makes their decisions for them. Their confidence, in being spiritually blessed to be the only ones who have the right religion, is now shattered, and they have to replace that with a new 'right' religion to feel their confidence again.

Some like myself were born into witness families and didn't know anything else but now, having all that you've ever believed in destroyed, are crushed. With my confidence, in being spiritually blessed in the 'only right religion', now shattered I join the ranks of now being faced with trying to find our niche in the realm of belief in God. One by one all the former teachings are now in question and we have to find our "happy place" in beliefdom. I for one have a long road ahead trying to figure what's real and what's not so I've got a lot of my own studying, reading and searching to do. Jumping into another religion would not work for me

Each one has his own need to fill and perhaps jumping from the frying pay into the fire works for them. For many, its non-belief in any God, Bible or religion that works for them, and like Ozzie said they turn to agnostic/atheist beliefs "having been completely destroyed in faith by the machinations of the borg, they are spiritually depressed and empty". I can easily see that taking place.

I've been encouraged to take my time and that's what I feel will work for me and for many others who are searching.

• jimmyjames
    jimmyjames

: Having been completely destroyed in faith by the machinations of the borg, they are spiritually depressed and empty.

That's the same attitude I get from religious people who've never been a Jehovah's Witness. Once they hear that you've been a JW, they automatically think they've got you all figured out. "Well THAT'S why you don't believe in the Bible- you were soured by those wackos!" As if atheism/agnosticism can only be the result of emotional trauma. :-)

The reason a lot of ex-JWs become atheistic/agnostic is actually the opposite of why a lot of them became JWs in the first place: They now value evidence more than emotions. They recognize patterns in religious organizations and they won't make the same mistake twice.

Slimmjim

P.S. People can have spirituality without believing in a personal God.

• outnfree
    outnfree

Just to clarify. I have not felt like I'm jumping from one religion to another. I have not become a member of the church I presently attend. I do not feel any obligation to be there, I am there because I want to be there. (Unlike the constant pressure as a JW to attend all meetings, read all the magazines, prepare for all meetings, and participate in field service while keeping up with personal study!)

One of the most important concepts I learned during the years I was having doubts and the past five months when I was inactive, was that there is NO Christian organization that is the sole "spiritual ark" for mankind. No, rather, CHRIST is the way and anyone who accepts his ransom sacrifice as the seal of the gift of justification by grace that it is, is acceptable to the Father. There IS no one true religion!

Now, doing further research, thinking, etc., I'm no longer sure even that belief in Christ is the ONLY way to God. I do believe in God. Too many prayers have been answered in my personal life for there not to be SOME Supreme Being looking out for me.

Just now, I was talking to my mother and explaining that all needs to be reexamined without lifelong prejudices so that I can finally know what *I* truly believe. It's a long journey. But one we all should endeavor to take.

I agree hippikon and had enough that it could be dangerous for most to "jump ship" too quickly and not just spend time sitting with the things they've discovered about the Society and their own reactions thereto.

For me, this forum helps with the "cleansing", church fellowship helps with the isolation, and personal study and prayer help me to listen to what *I* know to be true for ME.

The saddest thing would be not to use our new-gained freedom to find out what we're now free to believe!

May all of us come to a state of peace with ourselves and our past.

• COMF
    COMF
    it seems to me that the majority of ExJWs belong in the agnostic/atheist 'class'.

Hmm... possible. Exposure to such extremes of deception, manipulation and putrefaction in a religion, and finding your way safely out of it, certainly prepares the mind for careful, unbiased examination and allows the inner eyes to open more readily to reality than does time spent in a lukewarm mainstream religion.

Having been completely destroyed in faith by the machinations of the borg, they are spiritually depressed and empty.

Aaaannnnkkk! Try again. Stepping off of that merry-go-round of constantly unfulfilled hopes, putting down the weight of continuous self-deception, the burden of maintaining an entirely one-sided relationship, you become free to accept and love yourself as you are. Having accomplished that, you are then free to accept and love the world around you and those in it. I am more spiritual now than ever before, and more at peace with myself and with the world around me than at any time before, during or after my 12-year stint as a witness (age 23 to 35).

Unconditional love. Christians talk about it... agnostics live it.

COMF

• Tina
    Tina

Ozzie,Comf said it so very well.....I'm always amazed that believers think those of us who don't subscribe to some transcendent being ruling our lives,are spiritually depressed and empty...that couldn't be further from the truth,,,it's the height of folly and unfairness to label ags/aths as such. That implies religious belief as an unadulterated good and agnostic/atheism as evil....or religion as the only way to have a fulfilling,rich,rewarding life,,so untrue.....I prefer reason,rational thinking personal responsibility and accountability to superstition,myth,the supernatural. I think I would have arrived at the place I'm at no matter what belief system previously. These have been the happiest,most rewarding,fulfilling years of my life(since leaving).......if my work,research,investigation,self assessments have brought me here,what is so terrible about that? Why is condesending pity given to those of us,who proudly stand on a different road? Why do you think that place is 'less' than anyone elses place?(in this world)...
    I ramble,Comf,ANNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKK,beautifully said,your thoguths echo mine.....regards,Tina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit