Watchtower study vs. Bible study

by dreamcatcher 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

hi dreamcatcher,

welcome aboard and btw, like your username. I use it myself on other forums.

I can't understand why he has "popped the question" so soon. Especially as he must have known that problems were going to arise as you are not a witness. Surely he can't be that niave?

ditto plus I can't understand why the two of you were dating in the first place if he is that young that he would have to ask his parents permission to marry you.

This could not possibly be a supprise to him at all, so if he made a concience decission to date outside his faith then he must have been aware of the probable outcome. So why didn't he just wait until AFTER you were married to tell you? It's not a disfellowshipping offense to marry outside the faith. You just can't get married inside a Kingdom Hall.

plum

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

dreamcatchter,

this is exactly what the WTS is all about. they decide the doctrines and then they try and find scriptures to back them up. then once they dupe you into believing that they're right then, they pressurise you into getting baptised, and then heaven help you if you change your mind afterwards.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

The form of worship that is clean and undefiled from the standpoint of our God and Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their tribulation, and to keep oneself without spot from the world". (James 1:22-27 NWT).

• Buster
    Buster

Yes, yes, yes - excellent question Dreamcatcher.

You are already half-way there! maybe moreso. The WT insistance on its own literature instead of the bible is its most telling feature. One important proprety of Jehovah's Witnesses in general is their juvenile understnding of the bible. Oh yes, they can quote scripture snippet after scripture snippet, on a seemingly endless array of topics, augmented with any amount of WatchTower Bible and Tract Society commentary (usually from the magazine). But they cannot apply any mature level of critical thinking to the situation. A JW will take a jigsaw puzzle approach to the bible as though it is encoded with some special message that only a few enlightened can understand. Thats why you get so much of this Ezekial Chapter this, verse that, in harmony with 2Sam #.# means that the greater fullfillment here and then simply take the Daniel-rule of 'a day for a year' and you get "We know everything and you need to listen to us." It sounds like they know what they are talking about. But the logic they use generally fails under the simplest critical analysis.

But I have never met a JW that could speak cogently in a higher context. For instance, what were Paul's ideas of community? Why was the Apostle writing to this congregation? What did he plan to tell them when he sat down to pen the letter?

The WT mode of working in isolated scripture snippets, withouth the benefit of a critical viewpoint, leaves rank-and-file JWs at the mercy of the literature writing committee. Challenge them on the logic they use as they try to connect scripture to scripture. Slow way the hell down and take the time to look up the context for the scriptures they use - all of them. Don't let them snow you with volume. It is reasonable to expect them to go at your pace, is it not? Get ahold of some non-Witness (and I don't mean anti-Witness) commentary - easy and available to all via the web.

You'll drive 'em nuts - but their sanity isn't what's at stake here.

- Buster

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit