100 Greatest Britons.

by Englishman 30 Replies latest jw friends

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

oh look it's Jany rotten and his sex pistol. g'day Jan,

I thought you were into ABBA? ... oh no .. sorry it was QUEEN that's right. It's my cobber Kent who's into ABBA. LOL sorry you Norwegians all smell the same to me. Seriously now, how about a vote for 100 famous Norwegians? .. does Bro Steinhaug have a chance? The only named i'd recognise apart from the Norway trinity of you, norm and kent would be that UN chief shot down over the Congo back in the sixties ..

unclebruce

• Farkel
    Farkel

Jan,

: Massive Nick Cave fan here, too

I understand that stand-up comics are almost non-existent in Norway. Is that true? If so, why doesn't Norway have stand-up comics? Comics make people laugh. Norwegians can't be so serious as to have no have comics who make them laugh. Can they?

Farkel, who can recall British comics, Italian comics, Mexican comics, French comics, German comics, but NO Norwegian comics

• Matty
    Matty

There are only so many jokes you can make about pickled herring.

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

The first thing I thought was, "How the hell did Diana get into that list?" No one really liked her.

Robbie Williams...now there is a great performer. Only he could redo We are the Champions with any success. Was nice to see Freddie Mercury on that big list as well.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

UncleBruce, the trouble is, every time you try to assemble 100 great Australians, the NZers always pinch them. Fred Hollows, Ed Hillary, Russell Crowe and that bloke who created Sausage software - all claimed by our friends across the Tasman. However, they seem to be willing to let us claim Iain Hewittson and Joh Bjelke-Petersen! LOL

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I didn't see TWIGGY... (how soon they forget)

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

HEY,

I never liked Brits until recently. I had this American image of stuffy victorianism. Then the "Brave Heart" movie changed that image to one of ruthless bloodletting of Celtic Barbarians.

This summer I met many of them and didn't find one I didn't like. Is it just the XJW Brits or is it all of them that I like?

Jst2laws

• Matty
    Matty

In common with most countries there are nice British people and there are some complete assholes, I hope you thought I was one of the nicer ones, j2l! I think we have grown up in recent times as a nation. We are one of the most multicultural countries in the world. The definition of being "British" has changed immeasurably. Most of us these days feel that blood alone does not define national identity and that modern Britain has been shaped by a rich mix of all different ethnic and religious origins.

• JanH
    JanH

Farkel,

Norwegian comics, e.g.:

Oh, but the problem is you don't read Norwegian, do you? Same with stand up comedy, of course. There are lots of them here, but outside Scandinavia, you will not know more about them than I know about e.g. great baseball players (US) or rugby players (UK & commonwealth).

Hmm, Norwegian famous people would include people like Edvard Grieg, Ludvig Holberg, Henrik Ibsen, Fridtjof Nansen, Edward Munch, Roald Amundsen, Thor Heyerdahl, Liv Ullman and Gro Harlem Brundtland but not Kent. I guess Kent is about as famous among never-been-dubs here as Ray Franz is among Americans.

UB, the UN guy who was killed was a Swede. The Norwegian UN secretery general survived It's actually interesting that Norwegians tend to become famous for succeeding and surviving (e.g. Amundsen) while 'the other guy' gets famous for failing and dying (e.g. Scott).

- Jan

Blogging at Secular Blasphemy
  • Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Thor Heyerdahl

Now there was an adventurer..... Kon Tiki!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit