Not Everyone Celebrates Halloween!

by BeautifulGarbage 12 Replies latest jw friends

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

I got this in my email today from my zealot JW Aunt. This is the first time she has ever sent me anything of this nature. She is completely aware than I am not a JW and that I celebrate holidays. I have never expressed any sort of disagreement with the WTS with her, ever. It has always been my vow to keep quiet on the subject unless it is brought up to me first.

So, here is the article and the link she provided. I would like to be able to make a short reply to her. Especially anything regarding the hypocrisy and how it's so suppose to be evil and corrupting. I would appreciate some input.

Read down to the later part of the article. It mentions JWs.

http://newshound.de.siu.edu/fall02/stories/storyReader$1024

Thanks!

Andee

Not everyone celebrates Halloween

Samantha Robinson Daily Egyptian Walking down the street dressed in costumes, going door-to-door, hosting parties and just simply having fun are normally things associated with Halloween and the "everybody celebrates it" attitude shared by many. But that is not entirely true. While there are millions of people who celebrate the dark and gloomy night, there are many who opt not to participate in any of the festivities because of personal or religious beliefs or because of incidents that occurred during previous Halloween nights. Year after year, people participate in activities celebrating Halloween, but do they know why and when the day became a day of celebration? According to a documentary by the History Channel, the origins of Halloween date back to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain (sow-in). The Celts celebrated their new year on Nov. 1, which marked the end of summer and the harvest and the beginning of a dark, cold winter. This time was also associated with death and Oct. 31 was the day that the worlds of the living and dead blurred, making it easier for the dead to return to earth. This is where many of the modern-day myths associating Halloween with death, ghosts, witches and anything evil derived. The day was used as a day for Celts to block the dead from entering their homes and try to have a peaceful and productive winter. Here on SIUC's campus, there are students who do not celebrate Halloween, but they are few and far between. Some students said they do not believe in all of the "evil spirit stuff," but they like to dress-up and go to parties. For them, it is all in fun and not a devil-worshipping day. Tiffany Hubbard, a senior from Schaumburg, said she does not believe in Halloween and the only reason she does anything is because she has a daughter. "If I did not have a daughter, I would not think about it," she said. "I was not raised like that; my mother did not emphasize it." For her it is more about not letting her daughter feel like the oddball in school, while all of the other kids are dressed in their costumes and having fun. There are a number of people who do not believe in Halloween. But because so much emphasis is placed on it in schools, they allow their children to dress only in "good characters" and not demons or ghost. The Jehovah's Witnesses are the most widely known group of people who do not celebrate Halloween. There have been many public criticisms about the religion not celebrating any holiday with attacks being made on their beliefs and practices of "depriving children of their youth." In response to the criticism, Jehovah's Witnesses stick to their belief that "holidays are false and unnecessary, or their backgrounds are noted or pertain to another religion." In an issue of the Watchtower, the Jehovah's Witnesses magazine, an article simplified their beliefs and stated the reason they do not celebrate holidays is because they are of "Pagan origin" or "worldly people" celebrate them. Robin D. Jones, a senior in communication design, has been a Jehovah's Witness her entire life. She has never celebrated holidays and said she does not believe she missed out on anything growing up. "My personal convictions have always been strong and when I was young, learning how holidays originated, I was able to make up my own mind about celebrating them," Jones said. Some international students do not celebrate Halloween either. This is because of cultural differences or just plain un-fascination with the day. Kaori Ochi, a senior in Spanish from Japan, has been here for two years and said she does not celebrate Halloween because they did not in Japan. "It's a cultural thing. We celebrate Obon at the end of summer in August," she said. "It's the festival of the dead." Obon is a time when dead relatives are guided to the living so they can celebrate together. In Japan, a traditional Obon has families hang paper lanterns to guide the spirits to the homes of relatives and after the festivities, the lanterns are placed in the sea to guide the spirits back to their world. But everyone does not do things the same. Some families choose to bring the spirits in different ways. "We go to the cemetery to get the spirits and take them home," Ochi said. "We celebrate with them and then take them back to the cemetery." Those who do not celebrate the holiday do nothing out of their ordinary routine. They go to school, work, or where ever their day takes them. They just opt not to glorify a day that many have a misconception of as a "devil holiday." Once the sun goes down and the kids begin their trick-or-treating rounds and parents get ready for their costume parties, others, such as Hubbard, sit in their homes and spend a nice quiet evening at home. "It's not really a big deal and I just don't see any point in it," Hubbard said. Samantha Robinson can be reached at [email protected] Copyright 2002 Daily Egyptian

(Italics mine)

• nilfun
    nilfun

Can you email her a raspberry sound?

How can you reason with a zealot?

• Valis
    Valis

You could also remind her that joining a cult IS cross cultural...um well that might piss her right off..*LOL* I thought this might help..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer of the "All hallows" Class

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Nilfun,

I have absolutely no desire to even make an attempt to try and reason with her. She's in her 60s and has dedicated nearly her whole life to the WTS. She's completely under their spell. For some reason, I just want to make a brief comment back. I don't want to be insulting, but I do want to make a point. I have come up with a few, but before I send, I want more input. And you guys are sooo good at that!

Andee

LOL at the raspberry sound.

• nilfun
    nilfun

((BG))

I'm relieved I haven't offended.

You have a hard row to hoe.

Hallowenn IS evil and corrupting. That's what makes it FUN!

with all the witches, demons, ghosts, spells....good luck!

• Francois
    Francois

You might point out the pagan origin of things that JWs have no objection to. That would include many, many aspects of the wedding party; the placement of the ring on the 3rd finger, left hand; the wedding party itself, designed to confuse the spirits as to the identity of the bride and groom, which is also the same purpose the veil serves. There is also the use of tombstones, which came from the belief that if stones were not piled on the body of the dead, its spirit would come back to trouble the village. There is the fact that the names of the days of the week and the months of the years are everyone of origin in Greek or Roman or Norse Mythology. Well, there's just too many individual items to list, but there they are, the JWs, going along with the crowd.

Do they only not participate in worldly things if and when they become aware of them? Is ignorance any excuse?

As for halloween, it was a christian celebration called originally "All Hallows Eve." Or, if you care, "All Saints Eve." It was left to the superstitious country folk to turn it into something evil.

Hope this helps.

francois

• searcher
    searcher

Jehovah gave us the gift of Free Will. As I do not want to insult Jehovah by making little of His gifts, I choose to celebrate holidays. Many holidays are cross culrural, as are many other things in religion, for example, the name ' Jehovah ' was invented by a catholic monk, but just because it is catholic, that does not mean that I should not use it in honour of Him.

searcher.

• musky
    musky

I actually have not much use for halloween. Because of all the ghosts and stuff, I don't feel comfortable seeing my kids dress up and go trick or treating. If there is an event at school, I want my kids to feel part of the group, So they may be involved in a party for halloween, depending. I am sure your aunt knows you appreciated her caring enough to send the link. It was a good article. I would try to make her understand that it is all the holidays the witnesses don't celebrate. Why is it they don't celebrate a birthday, but its o.k. for an anniversary? ABSOLUTELY no difference. Why is it o.k. to get a baby presents on its actual birth day, but not every birthday after that? With everything all considered , its just a matter of conscience for any holiday.

Btw, Thanks to your thread a few days ago, I now have " Ive got a brand new pair of rollerskates" going through my head! Can't get it out.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Hi Beautiful,

I like what Francois had to say( but maybe leave out the reference to superstitious country people-that may cause some problems with some who would take that literally). When I was a JW, I was aware of the link with "paganism" and wedding rings and stopped wearing mine. Boy, was I ever blasted for that one by the JWs! Another thing that made me sit up and take notice was the reference in Job to his children celebrating "their day".Sure sounded like a birthday to me when I was made aware of it!

The sad thing is, alot of JW kids are just parroting the party line. When we quit, I asked my kids if they wanted to celebrate Halloween. All but one said no, and later, even that one changed their mind.They all had a wonderful time at the pumpkin farm last weekend, and all of us are dressing up for Halloween (even the adults lol).

The fact is, there are a lot of people who don't celebrate Halloween, but far from being "united in mind"(hehe-remember that phrase?), they do so for a lot of different reasons. Heck, my son-in-law's family doesn't celebrate it, and they HATE Jehovah's Witnesses(threatened to disown him when he told them he was marrying my daughter and they knew her background-event though she was never baptised and had already quit attending meetings). So much for everyone "speaking in agreement". And the fact remains that most people in the United States and lots of other countries DO celebrate it.

Personally, if you don't think it will make any kind of impact, I don't know if I would even bite on this one. You may just end up the "opposing relative story of the week." I would say, "Well, I appreciate you sharing your heartfelt beliefs, but I don't view things the same way."My family did this for years to my mom--took the wind right out of her sails.

I really appreciate the fact that you care enough about her to go through all the trouble to search for some way to reach her though. That really shows the caliber of person you are, Beautiful:)

Happy Happy Halloween

Cicatrix

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

No plagiarism here! Francois summarized it well.Blueblades

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit