After-meeting conversations

by Gopher 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gopher
    Gopher

To be able to properly "encourage one another, more so as you behold the end drawing near", we as JW's were instructed to do the following:

(1) Stay after the meeting for "upbuilding association", and

(2) Rather than talk about mundane things of life, discuss the finer points of the meeting just held.

How many of you really talked about the ideas presented at the meeting, when lingering after the meeting?

I know for my part I liked to talk about sports, upcoming social events, or practically ANYTHING OTHER THAN the meeting just concluded. I mean, that was intense enough -- did we really need to go over it again?

Edited by - Gopher on 17 October 2002 23:27:1

• minimus
    minimus

It's really difficult to talk to anyone when you come in late and you leave at "amen".

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Well we talked about people who were at the meeting, does that count?

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

When I went to meetings (lo those many years ago) the last I wanted to do was talk about what was presented. The one exception was when that sister wore a leopard print leotard jumpsuit for her No. 3 talk. Yow!

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

Gopher, your observation is correct. I've been all over in many parts of the US, Canada, and Europe and found that after assemblies, meetings, and during field service that conversations are almost always about sports, clothes, movies, tv programs, and very rarely about spiritual topics. Minimus is right. A large majority also come late and leave early, just going thru the motions, so to speak.

CC

• Gopher
    Gopher

Minimus,

You failed to be encouraging to your spiritual brothers? For shame!

Random Task,

Gossiping about your fellow JW's right at the meetings? Pretty bold! You should have waited until the next time you were out in "field service" -- that way you mostly would be talking about people who weren't there!!

Big Tex,

One time we had a visiting married couple from Colorado visit our hall, and the sister wore such a tight sweater, it left almost nothing to the imagination!! That was one of my more memorable meetings, LOL!

CC,

The majority of JW's disregard their spiritual mother and talk about mundane things?? I'm shocked. I thought that the sheer joy of being at the meetings and the exciting material presented would keep people buzzing for hours!!

• onacruse
    onacruse

Chalk this up to being the total JW that I was:

I DID like to explore the "finer points" of a talk, often taking others (a very few, but still) to the KH library and looking up refs, etc. When I went to get-togethers, I usually tried to get into a conversation about "spiritual" matters. I didn't like all the talk about sports, cars, blah blah blah...what did THOSE have to do with the impending Armageddon?

Needless to say, I was considered the life of the party. LOL

Craig

• Gopher
    Gopher

Craig,

I was a bit of a spiritual nerd too. I often tried to direct the conversation to those spiritual things I thought I had in common with other JW's. But often the fire of that conversation would die out, and we'd pass on to other matters. It just seemed like we already had "enough of that serious stuff" during the meeting itself!

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

I always hated it when they would tell you after an assembly or convention to "discuss what you've learned on the way home." Bah. I rarely remembered anything unless it had to do with Armageddon. I never understood how people could say, "Remember at the 1979 district convention, when Brother so and so said...." Hell, no, I don't remember what I did yesterday.

• minimus
    minimus

Do you know what the after-meeting conversation of the elders is about? They are gossiping about a possible rules- breaker. The ministerial servants are bitching about how they have to stay for 20 more minutes while the elders get to sit in the library and talk about everyone. The publishers are either in la-la land or running out the door like me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit