_______hates Jws!

by NikL 14 Replies latest jw friends

• NikL
    NikL

I was thinking about this the other day. When I was a JW there were always stories circulating around concerning a certain entertainer hating JWs. I suppose it was some sort of JW urban legend but it goes like this...
    A jw couple is at a concert by some artist while in another town for an assembly. During the show the artist asks all JWs to leave. Since there is a convention going on a bunch of the audience is composed of dubs and therefore many leave the show.
    I have heard this same story about Johgn Denver, Clint Black, Tanya Tucker, Mack Davis and others.
    Anybody else remember this one?

• riz
    riz

Hey Nik,

I remember that. I have only heard of it being John Denver though. I also recall a story being told of John appearing as a guest on the old Johnny Carson show. Story goes John made a comment to Carson about not liking witnesses. Carson called him on it, said his maid and assistants on the show were witnesses because they were the only ones to be trusted. Lmao. Ironic, no? Then apparently Carson asked Denver to leave. Who knows if it's true or not, but I remember people not liking Denver because of this rumor. I just thought his music sucked. Oh well, to each his own.

riz

• NikL
    NikL

Thanks for reminding me nz. I did hear that as well.
    Pretty arrogent of them to think that people even care. LOL

• larc
    larc

riz,

I generally agree with your assessment of John Denver's music, except for the song about West Virginia. I have a soft spot in my head for West, by God, Virginia. "Take me home country road, to the place I belong. West Virginia, Blue Ridge Mountains, take me home country road."

larc (of the hillbilly class)

• mommy
    mommy

Larc,
    Now you are talking about my "home"
    I also heard the John Denver tale...wonder how much truth there is in it
    wendy

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Here in the UK, that story did the rounds in the 80's and early 90's. The artist in question though was Annie Lennox - lead singer with Eurythmics.
    I think the whole thing may have got started because she is a self proclaimed 'white witch'.

"Sweet dreams are made of this..........."

Also, has anyone heard of Jasper Carrot? He takes a regular dig at JW's on his shows though apparently it is all a bit of fun - his wife is a Sister.
    Speak up you Brummies!

Nic'

. http://communities.msn.co.uk/altJehovahsWitnesses

• Simon
    Simon

I remember the John Denver (leaving on a Jet plane...oh the irony) and Annie Lennox stories.

There were quite a few urban myths going about... wasn't there something about Toblerone having blood products in it?

BTW: Before anyone posts about John Denvers plane being propellor driver and NOT a jet - I Know !

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Bovril flavour crisps too!
    Couldn't put those in the shopping trolley - they might contaminate the fillet steaks!!

Nic'

. http://communities.msn.co.uk/altJehovahsWitnesses

• nelly136
    nelly136

have seen jasper carrot live and he does give jws stick
    but its pretty low key stuff,
    i remember them anouncing from the platform to avoid certain types
    of ice cream because of blood products too
    nelly

• Englishman
    Englishman

Riz, click on to this for the REAL John Denver: