Did One Of Your Favorite JW's Leave The Truth?

by minimus 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

While I wouldn't go so far as to say that I left "the trooth" BECAUSE of another individual, certainly it is true that as a person who grew up in the Borg, it was educational for me to behold the fate of those who left for various reasons. When I was young (preteen), I didn't know any of these people personally and I accepted the Watchtower fable about "evil slaves" and their danger to us "faithful" folk of Jah. As I got older, though, it was inevitable that I would get to know who some of these people were BEFORE they "fell away" for whatever reason.

There were plenty, of course, who got disfellowshipped for "immorality." Frankly, I never wondered at all about them. But even back in the 1970s, there were some who were slipping away for doctrinal reasons. I remember Mike V. who I believe began studying with a group of "Russellite" Bible Students, and Morris S. who was disfellowshipped because his own chronological research convinced him that the WTS was wrong about their "pivot dates."

The one that is foremost in my mind, though, is Bob Smith, who way back then was a relatively young Bethelite assigned to our congregation. Bob was from Kentucky and was of the anointed. Bob really walked and talked like you might expect one of the anointed to, and he was a smart guy. I was in association with him for more than ten years, if I recall correctly. In the fullness of time, Bob married a divirced sister in the congregation a few years older than himself - Trudy - who had a couple of grown sons from her previous marriage and who was also respected as a spiritually mature and intelligent woman. Lo and behold, a short time after their marriage, Trudy realized that she, too was of the anointed! Was this a case of "Spiritual Osmosis"? Who knows the "ways of the spirit,"eh? I have no doubt that both she and Bob "discerned the body of Christ" in precisely the right way. Well, a few years after that (or so it seems now through the binoculars of time) both Bob and Trudy left the congregation to become members of a "false" religious organization.

Although I wasn't aware of it at the time, these individual stories were probably adding up in some way in my mind to demonstrate that it was possible to have a non-evil, un-debauched life after the Borg. I was a pioneer when I asked my three female pioneer partners one day, "What would you do if you found out that this wasn't The Truth(tm)?"

If it was possible - and it isn't now - I'd like to talk with Morris S. and Bob Smith (no relation to Morris S.) and find out what they learned, what they thought. I would wish them well.

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 17 October 2002 8:44:48

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

When I was a kid, we had an elder be df'd for a short period of time. I really liked Earl. He was also so kind and nice. Then one day at the meeting the announcement was made and I remember no longer being able to talk to him. When I would walk to the back of the KH during the meeting and our eyes would meet, they were so sad but he would wink at me and I would smile. I think that may have been the "seed of doubt" that was planted for me in regards to how people are treated.

• minimus
    minimus

It interests me that more than a few were clearly affected by some. It just takes longer for some than for others.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Nobody who was a "favorite". Saw many many leave in various ways over the years.

My best JW friend partially contributed to my doubting and eventual departure. He had a daughter who as a child was the model JW, witnessing to her teachers, the whole 9 yards. Well, adolescence came along and wiped all that out. She was never baptized and was definitely the rebellious teen. She left home at 18 and has never looked back. Well, to hear my friend talk about his daughter you'd think he was talking about Satan himself. It was like, he hated her for not taking to the JW way. Even though I was still a believer more or less, I often thought "Man I can't hardly blame a kid for not wanting the JW life". I couldn't believe his attitude towards her. No love.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Did one of your favorite JW's leave the truth?

ALL of my favorite JWs left the truth. It was the dipfucks that stayed in.

Farkel

Edited by - Farkel on 17 October 2002 23:7:3

• minimus
    minimus

I luv u Fark!!! Glad to see you in full swing!

• outcast
    outcast

oh oh Farkel gay m&m after you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit