Upcoming JW Court Case in Hull/Aylmer, Quebec, Can

by ESTEE 13 Replies latest social current

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

My friend Sylvie is taking her son to court because he refuses to let her see "HER" grand-children. Her son has hired a jw society lawyer

The sons lawyer wants to talk to Sylvie ahead of time. Sylvies lawyer will be present also. Did you ever hear of such a thing?where Sylvie needs to be questioned ahead of time by the "opposing" lawyer?

Guess he "insists" on studying her so as to plan a strategy to make her look bad, discredit her, paint a negative picture about her to the judge. Dang jws. They have tried to "brainwash" all of us, into thinking that we are afraid of them because they "think" they have Jehovah on their side.

I dont believe for a moment that God wants families divided like the jws divide families. Religion dividesjws divide families.

****Spirituality unites****

Sylvie needs to know that she is not alone. I want her to have support in Quebec, both for the pretrial and also the actual court date. Are there any ex jws in Quebec and area who would rally for Sylvie?

I will keep you posted as to dates. So far I know that Sylvie and Myles will be in Hull/Aylmer, Quebec November 13 to 19, 2002 for the pretrial questioning.

Please let me know if you are interested in supporting our sister and be there for her in full force!!! I want Sylvie to be able to visit her grandchildren and love them, just as naturally and completely as any grandmother would

Our Sylvie deserves a loving relationship with her grandchildren, right????????

Yay Sylvie!!! I feel so proud of you for taking a stand against your son in his bigotry and prejudice!!

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

So, this is a "Grandparent's Rights" case?

Even though I can sympathise with the grandmother, I personally think grandparents have no rights to see their grandchildren if the parents don't wish it.

What if my psychotic JW in-laws took us to court to see their grandchild? And try to get their hands on my child? And brainwash them?

I swear I'd kill them before I let them touch my (hypothetical) child, court ruling or not.

I'm sorry, but I think your friend is wrong, not morally, but legally. As long as it's her son's child and not hers, I don't think she has any "right" to see them.

But, from the bottom of my heart, I do hope that she does get to see them, and that her son's heart will soften towards her.

ash

• Scully
    Scully

I live near the area you mentioned. Have Sylvie send me an e-mail. I have some VERY INTERESTING information that she might want her lawyer to present in court.

[email protected]

Love, Scully

Edited by - Scully on 16 October 2002 15:4:1

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Hello,

My friend Sylvie is taking her son to court because he refuses to let her see "HER" grand-children. Her son has hired a jw society lawyer
    The sons lawyer wants to talk to Sylvie ahead of time. Sylvies lawyer will be present also. Did you ever hear of such a thing?where Sylvie needs to be questioned ahead of time by the "opposing" lawyer?

These cases are tough because parents have rights concerning a child but grand parents do not have similar rights.

Yes I have heard "of such a thing". Its all part of the deposition and disclosure rules. Its very common.

As for pre-trial. Usually pre-trial is closed to the public so most won't get in the door but maybe not in this case. I urge you to check with counsel to see if people can come or not.

If there is something I can do for you, Email Scully - Scully knows how to get a hold of me.

hawk

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I would have to agree with the 2 previous posters. The Society lawyer is probably just trying to talk your friend out of doing something foolish.

I agree that it would be nice for her to see her grandchildren, but action like this will further strengthen the parent's resolve not to let her. The parents arguably see her as a corrupting influence and are probably claiming to be protecting their children from her.

This is one of those difficult situations where she is likely going to have to wait until the children are older and hopefully will decide to have a relationship with her at a future date.

Path

• Seven
    Seven

Hi Estee,

Encourage your friend Sylvie to contact attorney Richard Victor in Michigan (248)646-7191 for information on the Canadian chapter of the Grandparents Rights Organization. Maybe they can be of some assistance. http://www.grandparentsrights.org/ Best wishes to grandma!

Seven

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Ok, I appreciate all of this input...However, my intent to post is not for all this negativity to surface, which then becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Let's hear some good support!! Positivity!!! We are trying to HELP the situation, not hinder it.

I realize a lot of response is with the purpose of the "reality check" kind of thing.

However, if you believe this thing will fail, it probably will.

If we will believe in a positive outcome..that is what will be realized!

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Howdy folks,

Estee is my girlfriend from Canada - visiting here in Texas. Her friend Sylvie is literally worried sick about not being able to visit - or have any contact with her grandkids. Her mom... the babies' great-grandmom, is about ready to just give up on being able to see them - ever.

If yall could rally to this 'cause' like yall seem to rally towards other worthwhile causes - it would be a good thing.

If nothing else - words of encouragement would be helpful to Sylvie, I'm sure.

After all... yall all know the B.S. that them there JWs seem to dish out. Let's just say 'NO' to JW BS.

Regards,

Jim TX

Edited by - Jim_TX on 16 October 2002 16:34:4

• Scully
    Scully

Sylvie needs to show this transcript to her lawyer. Underline the parts where Glen How talks about "religious intolerance" being shown toward JWs in cases of "Grandparents' Rights". Then make an issue of how "religious intolerance" is being shown by the JW parents against Sylvie, to keep her from seeing her grandchildren. JWs seem to want it both ways: to be able to cry about "religious intolerance" whenever things don't go the way they want, but to be free to display blatant "religious intolerance" against anyone who disagrees with their religion.

FYI, Glen How is (was?) the Grand Fromage of WT Legal in Canada. Andre Charbonneau is one of his proteges.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/committees/jula/evidence/174_95-10-17/jula174_blk101.html

Love, Scully

Edited by - Scully on 16 October 2002 17:2:34

• Scully
    Scully

Here's an interesting quote from the transcript, which I had not noticed previously:

In Quebec law grandparents do have access to their grandchildren, but they do not have parental authority. Parents are not allowed to intervene between the grandparents and their children. The onus is on the grandparent to say they're not being allowed to see their grandchildren, but they do not come to court with parental authority.

The case may hinge on the fact that Quebec is under what is known as "Civil Law", whereas other Canadian Provinces are under what is known as "Common Law".

The case sounds like it might be "winable", however that doesn't mean Sylvie will get the result she wants. Meaning that the court might grant her visitation rights, but the parents can make the situation impossible for the visitation to actually materialize.

In any case, I do wish her the best of luck.

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit