Do Atheist have Near Death Experiences?

by gumby 28 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby

Well, ..I had one

As I was about to "go out"...I saw a tunnel....and a bright light at the end of it.

I crawled through the tunnel and at the end of it....there was the LIGHT.

As I got closer I found out it was a damn homeless bum with a flashlight living in a culvert pipe!

Disappointments are the shits!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Larc

your statement about water and steam aren't quite right. It has to do with heat, the energy source. All water has energy in it due to heat unless it is at abolute zero. It is additional heat added to water that converts water into steam, not the energy in the water to begin wit

Maybe you are right, but let me try something w my illustration. (i'm trying to make illustrations fit the material, and get a g on it, not just an i). Let's say the heat added to the water would correspond to whatever method a scientist or an event uses to stimulate the brain to generate an apparent nde. Then the added heat would correlate to the electrical stimulation delivered through an implanted electrode, a drug like ketamine, a car crash, heart attack or whatever. How's that

SS

• patio34
    patio34

Jim said: There are no atheists in foxholes.

Rem replied with an article entitled "I was an atheist in a foxhole."

thanks for the laugh, Rem!! I'll read the article later. Perfect riposte!

(riposte: quick clever reply; retort since I had to look it up anyway for the spelling!)

Pat

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Following is an interesting link to a 'former' atheist who had a near death experience.

http://www.near-death.com/dougherty.html

• Satanus
    Satanus

If i remember right, from the nde's i read, hardly any, maybe none of the nde-ers claim to have seen god. They saw spiritual being, lights, dead relatives & friends, dead pets, and other things. So, an nde wouldn't nessesarily convert an atheist to nonatheist.

SS

• COMF
    COMF
    You know what they say

Who are "they"?

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Who are "they"?

You know.....those people.

• COMF
    COMF

Oh, them-uns?

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Sentinel,

I am going to try this one more time. I have tried three times now to reply to this thread and couldn't get it to post. I thought it just wasn't meant to be. But I am going to try again.

I think it is great that you were able to embrace your experience despite the fact that you were still under the control of the JW's.

As a Witness of nearly thiry-eight years, I understand that it must have been somewhat of a dilemma. Over the years, although I have never experienced an NDE, I have had many brushes with what I can only describe as the supernatural. I created a protective armor of denial. Now that I am no longer a Witness, I am trying to embrace my experiences, and also remembering the one's in the past.

The most current thing I have going is being able to know what is in peoples minds before they actually say it. Sometimes it is most beneficial, especially when dealing with my customer's. (I have a residential cleaning business)

It doesn't freak Thinker and I out as much as it used to when we hear each others thoughts. With my side of it, sometimes I actually hear it so clearly it is as if he has spoken the thought out loud, when I verbalize it, he will tell me that was the exact words in my head. It is kind of weird, but kind of cool.

We couldn't agree more with your statement at the end of your post about spirituality and higher sources.

Thanks for sharing.

TW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit