Do Atheist have Near Death Experiences?

by gumby 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

A NDE can be experienced by anyone, no matter with belief system they have going on. When I had my experience at age 19, it did not make me believe in "god" any more or any less, but it did help me to understand that we human beings know so very little about life and death. I was a very active JW right to this event. It definitely changed me, but it did not frighten me. Afterwards, I "knew" JW's were very wrong and I had lots of questions they didn't wish to address with me.

Any of you that know what enlightenment means or what being spiritual means, understands that concepts regarding "life after death" or the journey of the soul, have nothing to do with religion or a belief in a god. It does however, confirm that we aren't alone, and that our individual souls are connected to a lifeforce/source that exists in the depths of the universe.

Love and Light,

Sentinel

• butalbee
    butalbee

An atheist would have a scientific reasoning for the NDE, instead of a spiritual one. I would imagine.

• gumby
    gumby

Sentinel,

It does however, confirm that we aren't alone, and that our individual souls are connected to a lifeforce/source that exists in the depths of the universe

WHAT.... confirms we are not alone..........a belief?

Rem....thanks for the input, very enlightening,

Thanks Butalbee....I agree so far.

My thoughts: If it were a spiritual experience......what would the same story of a bright light have to do with God? Why not God or Jesus entering the picture?

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

LOL@COMF

I think there are Christians that have near life experiences, but I think they are few.

• gumby
    gumby

Well here's my NDE

Im walking down the road and I see a car coming at me. The car swerves and hit's me knocking my ass up in the air. While I'm up in the air I see the car that hit me.....a carload of Witnesses out in service laughing at me saying...."damn Apostate....he deserves this"

Well low and behold! Before I hit the ground I feel a comfort come over me. It's the voice of Fred Franz! He says to me "too bad you were not in the car group brother.....this would not have happened". Well I finally hit the pavement only to see the car group sqealing there tires and getting the hell out of there. Bastards!

Well, thats my story.

• larc
    larc

Corner Stone and Jim, if I am in a life threatening situation, I will never turn to God. I don't know if he exists or not. I know one thing, I won't ask for special favors. Saint Satan your statement about water and steam aren't quite right. It has to do with heat, the energy source. All water has energy in it due to heat unless it is at abolute zero. It is additional heat added to water that converts water into steam, not the energy in the water to begin with.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Gumby,

In most all the NDE's I've read about, and including my own personal event, whether it is a "belief" or not, it is proof enough for me, that some thing(s) do exist outside of our human reality, and a spiritual energy is existing in a realm we do not normally have contact with. Some of us get a glimpse of that through different avenues.

When the elders told me it was "demon" influence, I knew they were wrong, and that I was on the right track by being courageously openminded. Could I prove my experience? No. That does not mean it did not happen to me.

So, in believing that my experience was real, I feel comfortable saying that we "aren't alone". There is a power source much greater than we can know, one that may even appoint the gods to their service. Whatever it is, it is certainly not a religious event. No "god" or "Jesus" as we have been made to believe, at the end of the tunnel waiting to take us to "heaven" or "hell" (?) Just intense love and acceptance, comfort and peace.

Although it saddened me to see my family crying and upset, and emergency crews trying to get me to respond, I didn't want to come back. I had the feeling of "someone in control" telling me without verbalizing it, that my soul's journey was not complete just yet.

So, yes, Gumby, without proof, it is just my belief.

Love and Light,

Sentinel

• gumby
    gumby

Sentinel,

Thank you!

I do hope you are correct on this. I would REALLY like to believe there is something out there who loves and cares for us.....I really do. To die and never exist again sucks.

Whatever this "power source" is......leaves me with a dilema though. Why does it/they.....let us suffer, if it/they loves us?

Edited by - Gumby on 15 October 2002 13:58:45

• rem
    rem

You know what they say

"There are no Atheists in Foxholes"

Yeah, that's what they say.

But there was at least one:

I Was an Atheist in a Foxhole (1989)Philip K. Paulson

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/philip_paulson/foxhole.html

rem

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Do atheists have near-death experiences?

Yes, they do and they have them until they die. Everyone near death has experiences or some sort or another!

Oh, you mean do they have those voodoo "blinding light" kind of experiences?

Sorry. I don't know. I'll have to get near death first. When I do and if I make it back, I'll do a report and turn it in.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit