Did you burn the sacred documents?

by LovesDubs 23 Replies latest jw friends

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

...Or did you shred the shit out of em so even the garbage man wouldnt become accidentally sucked into this cult like I did? During the time I read Crisis of Conscience I went into a two week long rage. I was angry ALL the time for being duped and I hated every Witness on the planet, mostly for being as stupid as I was, and the upper echelon at the Society...I just wanted to castrate them. What they were doing to people was spiritual ABUSE, and they were laughing all the way to the liquor store in their Lincolns at our expense. So...

I wrote my 9-page disassociation letter, then I gathered up ALL my literature and all the KID's literature, sat myself down on the living room floor, put on Oprah and SHREDDED IT ALL with my bare hands! I paid particular attention to my pleather-bound copy of the New World Translation with the gold leaf edges and my name embossed on it's shiny black cover with the Make Sure of All Things and Reasoning From The SCriptures books bound INTO IT. I did it a few pages at a time, whipped its lying pages into the air and watched it float to the carpet. Sacred writings? INSPIRED? Hell no. That book meant no more to me than an Amway Sales Guide. Thats all it was really, a SALES TOOL for selling the Watch Tower God.

Then I took all my kids TAPES of the Story Book and my husband's TAPES of the watch towers and Awakes and my TAPES of the books of the bible and my TAPES of talks and my TAPES of the dramas and those HORRIBLE tapes of the Kingdom Melodies by the Kingdom Orchestra (hurl!!!) and YANKED those suckas clear out of their plastic cases zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzip and took SCISSORS and cut them beyond recognition. I was NOT going to be responsible for someone finding those tapes and actually listening to that crap and being fooled by it.

Then I took with GREAT pleasure, my Revelation - Big Freakin Climax book...that we studied like a bazillion times to prove to us somehow that John had the Society in mind when he wrote the whole damn book...and I ripped it apart a page at a time. Disgusted at their arrogance.

Last to go...was my Live Forever Book...which was so studied and so worn that the pages were held in place by clips, glue and rubberbands, and had been the BEGINNING OF THE END for me. I took it outside, put it into a bucket and lit it. A sweet odor up to heaven indeed!

I was free to begin to heal. My soul soared...now that I was allowed to HAVE A SOUL again. I got in the car, and went out and bought a pack of cigarettes and smoked one...JUST BECAUSE I COULD!! Damn near choked...but I did it anyway. Then I went and bought some clearance Christmas tree ornaments in the freakin MIDDLE of Kmart...just because I COULD...and I dared anybody to tell me differently.

Am I OVER those 13 years as a Watch Tower Slave? No...and Im not REQUIRED to be "over" them or to "forget" them. I believe God gave me that experience because it made me stronger and it also made me useful to HIM on this side of it...to help free others. I think that is true of you guys too. The Society has lost their best and their brightest in us. Cheers!

xoxoxo

• jimmyjames
    jimmyjames

Yikes, I still have all my books packed away in boxes. I feel kinda guilty about throwing so much bullsh!t into the trash- there's so much of it. I'd gladly donate it back to the hall but they probably think I've altered the contents to spread apostasy.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I would recommend keeping the reference books (Insight, Concordance, Proclaimers, Daniel, Isaiah) and CD-ROM. Why? So you can quote it back at them and give 'em heaps!

Cheers,

Crocodile Dundee (aka Ozzie)

• battman
    battman

Go girl go,

Brain Drain. You are correct when you say the WT is losing
    its best, also most courageous. I see this with nearly post
    I read, ('cept Fred & Co). So much insight, research and
    what great humor!!!!!!. Even the single line comments carry
    a message.

battman

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

Hey Ozzie, That's the ONLY reason I'm keeping mine, otherwise I woulda had fun like Loves Wish I coulda been a fly on the wall Loves hehehe. Musta felt wonderful.

Eyes

• myMichelle
    myMichelle

Lovesdubs,

I threw the magazines in my recycle bin, mixed in with the newspapers. Kinda worried a little, for the same reason of not wanting to be responsible for another family's agony, but I've seen the collectors make their rounds and they are too busy tossing the stuff in to pay too close attention to what's there.

Just doing my part to counter the environmental destruction, hug a tree and all that.

Can't wait for the day when all the WT literature in my house can go out to the curb.

Michelle

• Duncan
    Duncan

Hey Lovesdubs

I HAFTA reply to this one.

During the (fairly brief, looking back on it) time that I was convinced that it was NOT the truth, but feeling trapped within, not easily able to get out, I used to make a point - when round my Elder Father-in-laws house - of taking one of his Watchtowers with me when I used his toilet, and (look away now) wiping my arse with it.

What satisfaction!

Twenty yers on, I still look back and smile.

Duncan.

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

Duncan........

did ya flush or leave it as a present........

based on Seinfeld...once the BOOK or magazine goes into the bathroom.......... the value is seriously DIMINISHED>>>>>>>

got to go....bathroom calling(publications in hand)

• ShaunaC
    ShaunaC

Loves, I understand completely your feeling of WT literature. I kept the few bits a literature I took when I divorced my JW husband for a little while after being Df'd. But upon moving to a new apartment a year ago I decided it was time to throw it all out. Most of it I don't care about, although I am a little regretful that I threw away the Bible my grandmother gave me for baptisn when I was 12 years old. At the time it infuriated me to have it because she inscribed the cover with words of encouragement to always rely on Jah. Course I wish I had it now just for entertainment purposes.

Thanks for sharing!

Shauna

• somebody
    somebody

Loves,

I never burned or shredded any publications or books. I left everthing behind when I left home at 18 except for my Bible. I've kept that with me throughout the years, and I'm glad I did. It's the 1961 version, but I wouldn't part with it for the world. It's helped me trememndously in comparing bibles from the library (the public one, not the kh one) and bookstores. i don't know what happened to all my books that I had when I left home. I just know that they weren't there anymore when I returned home to visit my youngest sister. If I could have chose a book to shred and feel good about it, it would be the "Paradise Lost, Paradise Regained book that I had. That book did more harm to kids than it could ever do good. I would have kept the blue "Truth" book if I would have known whatI know today.

I noticed that you said you cut your husband's tapes too. Did he escape with you?

Duncan,

During the (fairly brief, looking back on it) time that I was convinced that it was NOT the truth, but feeling trapped within, not easily able to get out, I used to make a point - when round my Elder Father-in-laws house - of taking one of his Watchtowers with me when I used his toilet, and (look away now) wiping my arse with it.

ya nasty boy. that's a gross way to recycle.

peace,
    somebody

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit