Car Singing and A Brand New Key. Fluff Alert!

by BeautifulGarbage 21 Replies latest social entertainment

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

Hi Andee...Tink and I loved this thread. We downloaded Melonies song from KaZaA. Tink was painting a rose and singing the song while it was playing and our parrot "Rascal" was bobbing up and down and singing away...LOL

When that song came out I was 16 and Tink was the same age as you were. A local radio station DJ had a dispute with the station in our city and he locked himself in the booth and played the song over and over again with no breaks for two days. I don't remember what ended up happening with his "beef" with the station, but I could never stand listening to it for quite a while...LOL

My favorite car singing song was the Zombies..."Time of the Season"...Good tune...great organ and drums...but I felt the lyrics were alittle too provocative to post. You know when we were kids the only ones who listened to the lyrics were our parents...LOL

Thanks Again

CC

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

OMG CC, you just brought back a funny memory. On April Fool's Day one year back in the early 70's a DJ at a local radio station played the song "Dead Skunk" over and over all day.

"There's a dead skunk in the middle of the road, a dead skunk in the middle of the road, there's a dead skunk in the middle of the road and it's stinkin' to hiiighh heaven!!"

It was an obnoxious song to begin with and playing it all day made it that much worse.

Thanks for the nostalgia.

Here's another one from that era:

LOVE GROWS
    She ain't got no money Clothes are kind of funny Hair is kind of wild and free Oh, but love grows where my Rosemary goes And nobody knows like me
    She talks kind of lazy People say she's crazy And her love's a mystery Oh, but love grows where my Rosemary goes And nobody knows like me
    There's somethin' about her hand holdin' mine It's a feelin' that's fine And I just gotta say She's really got a magical spell And it's workin' so well That I can't get away
    I'm a lucky fella And I just gotta tell her That I love her endlessly Because love grows where my Rosemary goes And nobody knows like me
    XW
  • BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

So, what do we have here? Ah ha! Another Car Singer emerges from the shadows.

CC,

Thanks so much for sharing about Tink and the Parrot. I had a great visual of the both of them B Bopping to the beat. I hope all is going well with Tinks recovery. I know how it is, I had the same surgery.

I know that song is a bit silly even for the 70s. I really wasn't a big fan of it either when I was young. What is it with music from our youth? I was never a big fan of the song "Dancing Queen". In fact, it rather annoyed the hell out of me. Then, last year it was redone and a hit. My daughter downloaded it and was playing it one afternoon. I started singing along with it. She was amazed that I knew all the words! LOL

XenaW!

OMG! You are good! I have been cracking up remembering that idiotic song! And remember at the end the singer said "Come on, now, STINK!" lololol!

Plus, I loved both radio station stories. Back in those days DJs used to do some funny stuff.

Here's one where I remember a group of us kids sang while riding in the car.

Joy To The World
    - Three Dog Night

Jeremiah was a bull frog
    Was a good friend of mine
    I never understood a single word he said
    But I helped him a-drink his wine
    And he always had some mighty fine wine

Singin'
    {Refrain}
    Joy to the world
    All the boys and girls, now
    Joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea
    Joy to you and me

If I were the King of the world
    Tell you what I'd do
    I'd throw away the cars and the bars and the wars
    And make sweet love to you

Sing it now
    {Refrain}

You know I love the ladies
    Love to have my fun
    I'm a high night flier and a rainbow rider
    And a straight-shooting son of a gun
    I said a staight shootin son of a gun

{Refrain repeatedly}

Thanks!

Andee

Edited by - BeautifulGarbage on 16 October 2002 1:2:12

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Andee!!!

Love Three Dog Night!!!!!!

Here's another one- (pretty soon we'll have to change this to the 70's music thread lol)

Vanity Fare:
    HITCHIN' A RIDE 
    A thumb goes up, 
    a car goes by
    It's nearly 1 AM
    and here am I
    Hitchin' a ride,
    hitchin' a ride
    Gotta get me home
    before the mornin'light
    I've got no fare 
    to ride a train
    I'm nearly drownin'
    in the pourin' rain
    Hitchin' a ride,
    hitchin' a ride
    Gotta get me home
    to my baby's side
    Ride, ride, ride, 
    hitchin' a ride
    Ride, ride, ride,
    hitchin' a ride
    Long-distance call 
    I got today
    She sounded lonely,
    so I'm on my way
    Hitchin' a ride,
    hitchin' a ride
    Gotta get me home
    to keep her satisfied
    (instrumental) 
    Ride, ride, ride,
    hitchin' a ride
    Ride, ride, ride,
    hitchin' a ride
    A thumb goes up, 
    a car goes by
    Won't somebody stop
    to help a guy
    Hitchin' a ride,
    hitchin' a ride
    I've been away too long
    from my baby's side
    (several times): 
    Ride, ride, ride,
    hitchin' a ride
    (repeat and fade): 
    Ride, ride
    Next???? This is fun and it brings back so many memories!
    XW

Edited by - xenawarrior on 16 October 2002 1:21:12

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

OMG!!! this is like road-tripping with my family!! i survived the south dakota trip with my parents & gramma earlier this summer. although pulling into rapid city on about the fifth go round of "The Edmund Fitzgerald" and my gramma telling me every five seconds that we needed to be in the left lane (which i already was)--doing the old "tuck and roll" seemed appealing.

however, i must stand up and admit: My name is Becky, and I'm a car singer.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

GUILTY

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Hi Becky!!!!

*clap* *clap* *clap*

Welcome to our little group of Car Crooners!

Andee

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

((((((((((((((((((((Plum))))))))))))))))))))))))

Why am I not suprised????

Andee

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Ah, we should have been sisters...Oh that's right, once upon a time we were LOL.

I know that song well...and I know all the words 'off by heart' as we used to say as kids.

Andy and I are both Car singers...he's a little bit a 'country' and I'm a little bit a rock n roll LOL. The kids are quite accustomed to our need to sing when driving...they rest their heads and fall asleep...so to compromise we let them put their music on from time to time - not too often mind you, otherwise that would be spoiling them

As for being caught, I got Andy a beauty...one day I had my video camera on my lap while we were driving and shooting some footage of Melbourne for my friend anewlife when Andy broke into song, and being a catching little ditty about a koala named Blinky Bill, I decided to turn on the camera and catch him with the audio. He says 'you're not filming I hope' and I said 'NOOOOOO' as I crossed my fingers and put them behind my back.

I love singing, I hope to sing in tune one day. I really felt sorry for Mackin whom we took on tour around our grand city and who had to endure our melodious sqwarking LOL.

~Beck~

• Cowboy
    Cowboy

Um,uh......You mean everybody doesn't sing in the car???

I love singing, I hope to sing in tune one day.

Me too...

Cowboy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit