Car Singing and A Brand New Key. Fluff Alert!

by BeautifulGarbage 21 Replies latest social entertainment

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Yesterday driving in the car with my spouse and kids, much to the irritation of my daughter, my husband insisted that we listen to an "oldies" (groan!) station. Melani's "Brand New Key" started playing on the radio. I was 11 when that song was #1 back in 1971. Well, always thinking it was a cute little ditty, I broke out in song! Now, I don't mean quietly humming along, but nailing the thing dead on. Falsettos, high notes, and all. I even suprised myself by being able to recall most of the lyrics. Both of my children were most grateful that none of their friends were present (hmmm maybe next time).

I have to admit, I am a "car singer". Anyone else suffer with this affliction? Any good stories of being "caught"?

And this song I dedicate to all of those who read this forum and find our little group "hateful".

Melanie - Brand New Key

I rode my bicycle past your window last night
    I roller skated to your door at daylight
    It almost seems like you're avoiding me
    I'm okay alone, but you got something I need

Well, I got a brand new pair of roller skates
    You got a brand new key
    I think that we should get together and try them out you see
    I been looking around awhile
    You got something for me
    Oh! I got a brand new pair of roller skates
    You got a brand new key

I ride my bike, I roller skate, don't drive no car
    Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far
    For somebody who don't drive
    I been all around the world
    Some people say, I done all right for a girl

You got a brand new key
    I think that we should get together and try them out you see
    I been looking around awhile
    You got something for me
    You got a brand new key

I asked your mother if you were at home
    She said, yes .. but you weren't alone
    Oh, sometimes I think that you're avoiding me
    I'm okay alone, but you've got something I need

You got a brand new key
    I think that we should get together and try them out to see
    La la la la la la la la, la la la la la la
    You got a brand new key

Cheers!

Andee

Edited by - BeautifulGarbage on 14 October 2002 17:15:19

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Andee,

I don't think any of the youngin's here even know what a roller skate key is!!!

I remember tho, we had to put the key on our wrists with a rubber band, so we could tighten those skates up. They always seem to need tightening.

Iam a car singer to, T usually knows all the words, but I do my best with lots of Lah Lah, la's and such, we think we sound great.....

Lot's of shunning going around this place nowaday's......to bad....we all need each other, even if we don't always see eye to eye. But thats just life.

I would have loved to hear you singing. Something about singing just makes things feel better, even if there not.

Danny

Edited by - DannyBear on 14 October 2002 19:45:3

• nilfun
    nilfun

Never had to use a key, but I know the song. What is it about this place?

I always leave here with some new wacky song playing in my head!

Car singing? Guilty.

I'm also guilty of shower singing and super-market singing (can't allow all that great muzak to go unacompanied, now can I?)

Don't care if I get caught, though one guy thought I was cussing him out (windows rolled up)

and gave me the finger as he changed lanes and passed me. At least I *think* that's why he did it.

I mean, *nervous laugh* he couldn't possibly have heard me with all the indows rolled up, could he? *nervousgiggle*

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Well, I was beginning to think I was weirder than I had previously thought! Thank goodness I'm not alone in my inclination to sing along with the radio while in the car.

Danny,

I BARELY remember skate keys. I agree with you about making things feel better. Especially, when I get to factor in the "kid mortification" element.

Nilfun,

Hail to my super-market singing sister! (that's a "me too")

Andee

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Another car singer checking in.

And one thing my daughter used to cringe when I did is "CAR DANCING" Now she does it too!!

Here's another one from that era Andee:

Mungo Jerry:
    IN THE SUMMERTIME
    In the summertime when the weather is high You can stretch right up and touch the sky When the weather's fine You got women, you got women on your mind Have a drink, have a drive Go out and see what you can find
    If her daddy's rich take her out for a meal If her daddy's poor just do what you feel Speed along the lane You can dine on a dollar twenty-five When the sun goes down You can make it, make it good in a lay-by
    We're no threat, people We're not dirty, we're not mean We love everybody but we do as we please When the weather's fine We go fishin' or go swimmin' in the sea We're always happy Life's for livin' yeah, that's our philosophy
    Sing along with us Dee dee dee-dee dee Dah dah dah-dah dah Yeah we're hap-happy Dah dah-dah Dee-dah-do dee-dah-do dah-do-dah Dah-do-dah-dah-dah Dah-dah-dah do-dah-dah
    Alright ah
    When the winter's here, yeah it's party time Bring your bottle, wear your bright clothes It'll soon be summertime And we'll sing again We'll go drivin' or maybe we'll settle down If she's rich, if she's nice Bring your friends and we'll all go into town
    In the summertime when the weather is hot You can stretch right up and touch the sky When the weather's fine You got women, you got women on your mind Have a drink, have a drive Go out and see what you can find
    If her daddy's rich take her out for a meal If her daddy's poor just do what you feel Speed along the lane You can dine on a dollar twenty-five When the sun goes down You can make it, make it good in a lay-by

We're no threat, people We're not dirty, we're not mean We love everybody but we do as we please When the weather's fine We go fishin' or go swimmin' in the sea We're always happy Life's for livin' yeah, that's our philosophy
    Sing along with us Dee dee dee-dee dee Dah dah dah-dah dah Yeah we're hap-happy Dah dah-dah Dee-dah-do dee-dah-do dah-do-dah Dah-do-dah-dah-dah Dah-dah-dah do-dah-dah
    XW 
  • Mac
    Mac

:)

• jack2
    jack2

Andee, cute thread.

I am a car drummer. My steering wheel has a nice resonance to it, so I've been known to tap away at it, or even thrash around with my hands like I'm on a drum kit while at a stop light. Some singing too. Yes, it's amazing how you can recall the lyrics of a song even when you have not heard it for a long time.

Edited by - jack2 on 14 October 2002 22:32:33

• Shakita
    Shakita

Well, I am old enough to remember skate keys. I remember roller skating with my best friends in the neighborhood, going up and down the driveways with the "good" hills. What a great time of life! Thanks for jarring the memories. It is so good to remember the life we led as children without the many problems and responsiblities of adults.

And, I must confess, I am a car singer, too. When I am upset about something, I turn up the volume and sing to CD's. Of course, if I pull up to a light or intersection, I stop singing. Don't want people to think I'm a nut!

Mrs. Shakita

• butalbee
    butalbee

Does talking to yourself in public count?

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Hello my fellow car singers!

XenaW,

OMG! That song brings up so many memories of riding in the car with my Mom. Of course, us kids would try to make all the little sound affects sound as disgusting as humanly possible!

Shakita,

When I am trying to drown out my kids bickering, I turn up the volumn!

Jack,

I'm a steering wheel drummer too. I handn't heard that silly little song in a least 20 years. It is amazing what our long term memory can hold.

Butalbee,

Just as long as it makes people glance at you sideways, I say it counts!

Thanks guys for making me feel a little less odd today!

Andee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit