Why do we age?

by haujobbz 19 Replies latest jw friends

• pomegranate
    pomegranate
    pome dont you agree with my question

Well, your question was, "Why do we age?"

This isn't a question for agreement/disagreement, it is a question that signifies one of two things. Having an answer and baiting others with a question (this technique JW's similarly use on unknowing victims).

OR, you are truly looking for an answer to the question here on this forum.

To answer your question: That's the way God planned it, that's the way God wanted it to be.

I believe the real question should be: Why did He let it be this way. Of which only God can answer you.

Read Proverbs 2.

• metatron
    metatron

The free radical theory currently has the most support.

The 'DNA chip' proved (in 2000) that free radicals formed by normal metabolism
    in the mitochrondria cause the symptoms of aging. This also explains why caloric
    deprivation works to slow down aging in every mammal tested.

Get a subscription to Life Extension magazine - new stuff is being discovered
    every month!

Of course, an explanation is still sought as to why certain species (rockfish)
    appear to live to extreme ages despite an active metabolism.

metatron

• Valis
    Valis

Setting Dog, or Jehoba, or whatever you want to name it aside... I found this, which is a good place to start...sans the religion or useless questions about why a creator would want us to die...

SIncerely,

District Overbeer

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

Eat healthy

Stay fit

Die anyway.

• dubla
    dubla

Do you get this upset when a beautiful, fresh picked rose withers, drops its petals and dies?

id tend to think most humans value human life more than the life of a flower.

aa

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Interesting post Valis. My question is, where is the money going to come from to support these people that live to 120-130 years old? Most people retire with only enough cash to get them through a few years at most. I guess people are going to start having to stay in the workforce a lot longer. Our generation (gen x) is going to pay taxes big time to support the narcissistic baby boom generation as it gets older. I don't think that we or the following generations are going to have near the standard of living they had.

• Francois
    Francois

Right now, I'd settle for the Fountain of Middle Age.

Actually, what happens is this: the framas fails to romulate across the freen sufficiently to keep things in a state of perpetual motion and when that happens, the knibbling pin is dislodged from the epizoutous and we die. Simple.

francois

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

Personally, retirement to me seems boring. As long as I enjoy my work, I could do it until the day I die. Retirement to me, just sounds like that space between your last day of work and your last day of life.

My thought

Dragon

Edited by - kenpodragon on 14 October 2002 18:59:58

• julien
    julien

Read The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. If you think about this question from the standpoint of a gene which is trying to propagate itself, it all makes sense.

Briefly:

1. think of human organisms as giant complex machines containing genes, whose purpose is to propagate the existance of those genes.

2. age of reproduction is roughly 16-40.. Genes which contribute to a healthy organism reaching this age and reproducing are selected to continue, and will become widespread in the gene pool.

3. From an evolutionary standpoint, past 40 and there is less benefit, so genes that extend life are not strongly selected. Although there is some benefit to being a grandparent to one's genes (if you are around you can help your grandchildren, who contain 1/4 of your genes), which is probably why our lifespan doesn't end right after the fertility years.

4. Your urge to live forever is simply an expression of the survival instinct. We are genetically programmed to want to live with every fiber of our being, and to do nearly anything to survive. If we weren't that way (say we had a weaker survival gene), we'd be more likely to die, less likely to propagate our genes, hence they would gradually vanish from the gene pool; leaving only 'strong survival' genes.

• Navigator
    Navigator

Deepak Chopra has a great book on that very question. I think Francois has the best handle on it, however.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit