Babylon the Great and the Anti Christ

by Perry 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Perry
    Perry

Similar views as those presented here are gaining in popularity in Christian circles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGmRFAtDvTM

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Perry, am I supposed to watch a fifty minute video that no human could be bothered to narrate just to be able to reply to your topic.

Not going to happen.

Oh, . . wait . . . . . shit.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

If one were to believe what was said in this video, one would have to have the intellect of a child or a extremely poor education in ancient history involving ancient mythological practices.

Perry ???

• jhine
    jhine

Perry , I'm not aware of these ( or similar ) views becoming popular in the Anglican church , and probably not amongst Catholics either . May I ask in what Christian circles you feel these ideas are being accepted . ?

I did only watch a few minutes of the video , just to get an idea of it's content , but I did get the gist of it .

Jan

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Islam doesn't fit the description of Babylon the Great in Revelation 18. Especially verse 24.

• johnamos
    johnamos

Perry, I am just amazed at the fact that you posted this particular youtube clip. I just saw it myself for the first time a few nights ago and it was an accident and strange how I ended up watching this clip and now here you are posting the same exact one.

I have trouble sleeping and I am usually up after my wife goes to bed so Friday night was no different and since I don’t care for network/cable TV I usually watch something on netflix or youtube. So Friday night I put ‘bible moives’ into the search in youtube and was just looking at the results to find something from there to start watching until I thought I was good to fall asleep and then go to bed.

Well I starting watching one about Revelation, then the next morning when I told my wife that was what I ended up watching (because she likes watching these too) before I came to bed…she asked me to put it on then at that time so she could start watching it too since I didn’t finish it. Well when I looked for it again in the youtube search it was there but there were more titles with the word Revelation in them and so by mistake I clicked one different from the one of what I was actually watching but just continued watching this one anyway.

It was basically just a reading of Revelation and when they read Revelation 2:12,13 it caught my attention when I heard that in Pergamum is where the throne of Satan is. So this intrigued me to look up what is modern-day Pergamum, which I found, is Turkey.

Ok so no big deal. Now here it was Saturday night and same thing can’t sleep so looking for more bible related movies/content on youtube. I found and started watching the book of John but as you know youtube has that side list of other videos that can be seen even when you are watching one you picked, so because I saw that it said Turkish as well as BTG, I because of having fresh in my mind from earlier in the day that I saw that it is said that in Turkey (Pergamum) that that is where Satan dwells/has his throne I was interested in watching that video which I then did. And then at 34:37 they even cite the scripture that I had looked up to begin with and now here you go posting this same video…

• jws
    jws
    Christian Circles usually applies to Fundies. Particularly the crazy type we have in the US.
  • Island Man
    Island Man

I believe that the writer of Revelation intended Babylon the Great to refer to Jerusalem and the religious leaders of Judaism. This makes the most sense when Revelation is considered in the context of the rest of the NT. Consider the commonalities between the two:

1. Both the Jewish religious system and Babylon the great are said to be full of the blood of prophets, including the blood of Jesus' followers:

(Matthew 23:29-36) . . .“Woe to YOU, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because YOU build the graves of the prophets and decorate the memorial tombs of the righteous ones, . . .31 Therefore YOU are bearing witness against yourselves that YOU are sons of those who murdered the prophets. . . .34 For this reason, here I am sending forth to YOU prophets and wise men and public instructors. Some of them YOU will kill and impale, and some of them YOU will scourge in YOUR synagogues and persecute from city to city; 35 that there may come upon YOU all the righteous blood spilled on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zech·a·riʹah son of Bar·a·chiʹah, whom YOU murdered between the sanctuary and the altar. 36 Truly I say to YOU, All these things will come upon this generation.

(Revelation 17:6) . . .And I saw that the woman was drunk with the blood of the holy ones and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus. . .

(Revelation 18:24) . . .Yes, in her was found the blood of prophets and of holy ones and of all those who have been slaughtered on the earth.”

The book of Acts portrays the Jews in various places as being instrumental in stirring up persecution against Jesus' followers.

2. Judaism was international in scope, having both ethnic Jewish and foreign proselyte followers in many countries who speak many languages:

(Acts 2:5-11) . . .As it was, there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, reverent men, from every nation of those under heaven. 6 So, when this sound occurred, the multitude came together and were bewildered, because each one heard them speaking in his own language. 7 Indeed, they were astonished and began to wonder and say: “See here, all these who are speaking are Gal·i·leʹans, are they not? 8 And yet how is it we are hearing, each one of us, his own language in which we were born? 9 Parʹthi·ans and Medes and Eʹlam·ites, and the inhabitants of Mes·o·po·taʹmi·a, and Ju·deʹa and Cap·pa·doʹci·a, Ponʹtus and the [district of] Asia, 10 and Phrygʹi·a and Pam·phylʹi·a, Egypt and the parts of Libʹy·a, which is toward Cy·reʹne, and sojourners from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, 11 Creʹtans and Arabians, we hear them speaking in our tongues about the magnificent things of God.”

(Revelation 17:15) . . .And he says to me: “The waters that you saw, where the harlot is sitting, mean peoples and crowds and nations and tongues. . .

3. Jesus' instructions to his followers that they flee Jerusalem when they see it surrounded, matches the idea expressed at Revelation 18:4:
    (Revelation 18:4) . . .And I heard another voice out of heaven say: “Get out of her, my people, if YOU do not want to share with her in her sins, and if YOU do not want to receive part of her plagues.

The only scripture I see in Revelation that seems to contradict this view is Revelation 17:18: "And the woman whom you saw means the great city that has a kingdom over the kings of the earth. . ."

Jerusalem did not have such great political clout back in the first century. It's possible that Revelation is here referring, not so much to political clout, but just the fact that Judaism was very influential, having adherents throughout the ancient world who would make annual pilgrimages to Jerusalem. Jerusalem was also the figurative palace of the God of the universe, whose kingdom is above that of all the kings of the earth. The religion was also greatly respected by non-members, seen as a source of ancient noble wisdom. Of course this all changed later when the Jews started being accused and expelled from Rome. But the writer is likely talking about the great influence of Judaism early in the 1st century.

The writer of Revelation is basically comparing and contrasting "apostate" Judaism with true Christianity. The NT refers to christians as being the chaste bride of christ, so the writer styles Judaism as the antithesis of that - a promiscuous harlot. The book of Ezekiel also styles Jerusalem/the Jews as a promiscuous harlot. It's really not hard to see that the writer was referring to Jerusalem/Judaism.

If you see the book of Revelation as a purely human work by a man living in the late first century or early second century and trying to guess at the future with the limited knowledge of his own time, then its easier to see how it fits with other bible texts. But if you see it as being a truly prophetic book inspired by God and accurately referring to future events to take place in our time, then it starts to make a lot less sense.
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

To me this video falls into the same category as Reptillians infiltrating Fox News.

DD

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The Hebrew writers of the bible posed any outside ruler or god not of their own, as that which is controlled by Satan false (angel), be it Babylon or whatever ie......

To the Church in Sardis

3 “To the angel of the church in Sardis write:

These are the words of him who holds the seven spirits of God and the seven stars. I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have found your deeds unfinished in the sight of my God. 3 Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; hold it fast, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you.

There was a constant social battle in ancient times to who had the most powerful and mightiness of gods backing the people who selectively worshiped these individually separate gods. ....such as the Babylonians and their god Marduk against the Hebrew God Yahweh .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit