"God by the Neck" short film

by wolfman85 19 Replies latest forum links

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

"Jehovah's Testicles". You don't know how many times I have said that in my mind with my poor Spanish...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Pretty sure this vid will trigger anxiety attacks among some of us.
  • PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

This is how I felt as a child. This is how the kids feel now. This is sad. This is intimidation.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Wow!

That is amazing...and so haunting....

For those raised "in the truth", it hits the nail on the head!

(The area we live in is full of high rise buildings too, so I related to the monotony of the stairs...especially from a childs point of view)

• steve2
    steve2
    Very sad and touching on so many levels.The woman has the same firm , insistent but loving manner as my mother.She really lived and breathed the "truth" - as did my father. Funnily enough, it was them I felt for as I watched the film. Trudging door to door from when they themselves were little, both dying of old age some years ago. All for what?
  • Sail Away
    Sail Away
    The fear and anxiety I felt going to the door as a child who believed that so many people (including non-believing family and friends) were going to be killed at Armageddon is still stored in my physical body. This short film made me physically sick. My heart breaks for the little children.
  • steve2
    steve2

Sail Away, I so hear what you're saying. By posting here you are giving yourself excellent evidence that you're doing your best to make sense of what you went through and, when you're ready, to gain a healing perspective on what you went through.

It took me a long time and there are still times when it all comes back - but those times are fewer, less intense and don't last as long.

An older person I admired in my younger years - who was not affiliated with any religious organization put it this way: It is not that unusual for children to be exposed to situations and experiences that terrify them and yet the other part is, those situations and experiences were never purposely "intended" to have that effect on them. So one of the "tasks" of adulthood is to draw upon that adult part of oneself to come to terms with those childhood situations and experiences.

What I take from this is that, even though children can go through many, many different experiences, it is what those children tell themselves years later when they are adults about what they went through that matters. Adults who are able to validate themselves for what they went through and seek opportunities to come to terms with it generally do well compared to adults who continue to get caught up in the awfulness of it all and cannot find a way forward.

Hopefully, the more you gently allow yourself to face up to what you went through, the more evidence you will get that you are getting on with your life which in and of itself can be very slef-affirming. Best!

• jws
    jws

I might have to watch it again, but was the mother maybe allowing her child to be secretly normal while also having plausible deniability? She saw the invitation, possibly remembered the building and address. She brought her son to that building and sent her son to the 4th floor alone.

Or did she know and was she testing him?

They both seemed to have knowing looks at the balloon.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

The mother was testing that poor child:(

Just watched it again this time with my kids and husband. They all agreed this is exactely the way they felt.

Very powerful short film.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

steve2

Sail Away, I so hear what you're saying. By posting here you are giving yourself excellent evidence that you're doing your best to make sense of what you went through and, when you're ready, to gain a healing perspective on what you went through.

It took me a long time and there are still times when it all comes back - but those times are fewer, less intense and don't last as long.

Steve, thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I have done a lot of work since I left and have come to accept things as they were then and as they are now. I've been through all the stages of grief several times. The intensity of my emotions while watching this film shook me up, but as you said, it didn't last long. Identifying with that little boy was painful. His mother emotionally abused him. I blamed myself. I accepted The Lie when I was nine years old. No one else in my family became a JW. I essentially did this mind f**k to myself. It doesn't help to blame a nine year old little girl who only wanted the happy family life she was promised.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit