SALVATION?? What is it really?

by mamashel 12 Replies latest forum tech-support

• mamashel
    mamashel

Just wondering what some of your thoughts were on this topic of Salvation. I've heard alot about it and really want to believe it, but I am having such a hard time understanding about God and Jesus Christ since leaving the org. I am fed up with organized religion and am afraid to go to chuch. Can anyone help me with some information or scriptures or something. I just dont know if salvation is what i am suppose to be looking for, and how could we have missed that in the bible as a jw if it was there all the time. I mean i understand how the jw's twisted the bible and all, but I get so tired of trying to pick the bible apart looking for the answers.

Anyone?

Shelley (mamashel)

• yucca
    yucca

we are all born with an emptiness inside-a hole in your heart if you will. it is an emptiness that cannot be filled with possessions drugs success alcohol morality or even religion. it is an emptiness that can only be filled with god himself. he says that if you will hear his voice and open the door he will come in. if you would like to know that when you die you will go to heaven,and if you want to have life that is full of purpose and meaning,then you pray this suggested prayer: lord jesus, i know that i am a sinner i turn from my sin right now and ask you to come into my life. thank you for dying for me on the cross and rising again from the dead. now be my lord and savior i want to follow you from this moment forward. in jesus name i pray,amen. jesus said i am the way, and the truth and the life. no one comes to the father except me. john 14:6 salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. acts 4:12 god bless yucca

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

My 2 cents... Contrary to how some people would like to paint God (or that he doesn't exist), the message I get from the Life of Jesus Christ is "keep it simple". Love....God and your fellow man, on that hangs all the laws and the prophets. I think there is ample 'evidence' that there is life beyond this feeble mortality.... to me, salvation means spending the life beyond this life in the 'presence' (influence) of God....and that is gained by trying our best to follow his example.

end of story IMHO

• AwakenedAndFree
    AwakenedAndFree

Dear Mamashel,

I read your post and prompted me to share with you these two beautiful Bible Scriptures:

ISAIAH 26:13: " O Jehovah our God, other masters besides you have acted as owners of us. By you only shall we make mention of your name."

REVELATION 7:10,:(10):"And they keep on crying with a loud voice, saying:"Salvation [we owe] to our God, who is seated on the throne, and to the Lamb."

REVELATION 7:11,12: (11):" And all the angels were standing around the throne and the elders and the four living creatures, and they fell upon their faces before the throne and worshiped God, (12): saying:"Amen! The blessing and the glory and the wisdom and the thanksgiving and the honor and the power and the strenght [be] to our God forever and ever. Amen."

Christian Love,

AwakenedAndFree

Edited by - AwakenedAndFree on 11 October 2002 20:1:23

• barry
    barry

Dear Mamashel, The protestant doctrine of salvation was relearned in the 16 century and is the beleif that God declaired the sinner righteous and includes justification only. It is a judicial act of God whereby He declares sinners to be just on the basis of Christs own righteousness. Our standing before God rests in the imputed righteousness of Christ, which we receive through faith alone. Sanctification is the accompanying fruit and not the root of salvation. Thats why we can say we are saved because of what Jesus has already done. But we are not saying we are perfect because sanctification is the work of a lifetimeand is imperfect. Barry

• gumby
    gumby

he says that if you will hear his voice and open the door he will come in.

Then how come he doesn't open the door for me and many others who pray for truth?

I have been a lost puppy for a while on God/the bible. So far no breaking news. I pray always and I am a good person I feel.

Instead I get more information that makes me doubt the bible. I guess I'm not one of his even if I want to be. Predestined to die perhaps and suffer anguish for eternity?

• PointBlank
    PointBlank

Dear Shelley,

My reply isn't going to be about the salvation per se, but my experience with salvation. I was a JW for 24 years. The last 12 were spent in the depths of darkness, despair and frustration. In my search outside of the JW org, I read everything I could get my hands on (of a religious nature). I researched other religions ( ie, Judaism, Islam) and the various Christian denominations. I researched 'religion' as an institution of man. But I was drawn to the message of Christianity, so I would alternate between reading more "christian" books and listening (off and on) to tv preachers (scared stiff of church). Between the books and preachers I became even more confused. I cried, I pleaded, I begged and I bargained with God for enlightenment and direction. It didn't matter. I gradually slipped into a deep depression, so much so that I eventually stopped caring so much about religion, salvation or whether anybody was speaking truth. I didn't really care about anything. I hit rock bottom.

When everything became a non-issue, I approached God again, but this time minus the emotional tantrums and trying to get my own way or save my own skin. And something else I realized...my seeking God wasn't of my own initiative. It was more like a magnetic pull or guidance. My motive was different. No longer was I looking for salvation. No longer was my interest "self-interest." My search wasn't about what He could do for me. My heart's desire was just to know Him for His own Name's sake. I made a pact with Him. I told Him that this time around, it had to be just Him and me because I didn't trust ANYBODY. All I wanted was Him, period. I began reading "just" the Bible again. But this time it was with new eyes and over a period of time I realized it was speaking to me. And this time the miraculous happened. Something we, as JW's, knew nothing about. For the first time in my life I experienced true conviction and repentance. It's something quite different from common misconceptions. And for the first time I understood exactly why we "need" Jesus and what He accomplished 2000 years ago (and all of this apart from how He is religiously conceived). There is greater detail to this experience, but the bottom line is that after expressing this all out loud to God I received the baptism in the Holy Spirit and was made a child of God. Salvation is about becoming a child of God. It's NOT about religion, religions, rules/regulations, or the authority of such.

So now I know that one can "know" they are saved. One can know that they are a child of God. I know that I have been called to be a witness for Christ. Jesus really is the Son of God, and He is alive today and makes Himself known to His own. When people tell you that it's as easy as saying a few words to Jesus, they are partially correct. The gospel is very simple. The hard part is getting the intellectual acknowledgement to filter through the heart. From the beginning to the end it is an action of God. We don't have what it takes to do it alone. We can't even desire God without His direct intervention. It is the Father that brings us to His Son, and it is the Son that baptizes in the Holy Spirit and ultimately reveals the Father to those that belong to Him.

I hope this is a blessing to you. May your search be pure and true. If you would like my testimony in its entirety, please let me know.

PB

• mamashel
    mamashel

PB, thank you so much, i would love to hear your testimony. Wht you wrote here is exactly what i have felt for so many years. The fear of doing the wrong thing or making the wrong decision, i just completely gave up. But there is still a tug at my heart to search for God and the truth about God and his son Christ Jesus.

Thank you so much, and also to those who responded.

mamashel

You can email me if you like PB at [email protected]

• PointBlank
    PointBlank

Dear Shelley,

The email you've provided is inoperable. Is the address correct?

PB

• mouthy
    mouthy

After much "mixed up" feelings when I left the Borg( or was kicked out more like it) I felt "there was no where to go" as the Borg told us. Then on reading scripture I relized it said -it was not WHERE to go-but TO WHOM to go The answer was Jesus I did that. I confessed with my lips Jesus was Lord believed in my heart God raised him from the dead(Romans 10:9) I was SAVED-----Not maybe! as they teach but WILL!!!!!! There is a big differance to maybe & will. Blessings in your walk....

Grace----------:> http://www.jwinfoline.com/Page/audio.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit