Monotheism, Your comments please

by pseudoxristos 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• breeze
    breeze

Pseduo...

The Yahoo discussion is not an official stand of the witnesses....MONO indicates one....so this is thiesm or belief in a single deity......English is english....nuts to them and the rest of the idiots that regurgitate this holy stuff....

You see that if the Bible were to actually be the inspired word of GOD ....would it not be very clear on things that all of the different issues religions argue about everyday....why not just make a clear consise statement of who is who and what is the truth and where everything and everyone is going to become.....why must it be a question of belief or faith....BS...I can't stomach anymore crap....

There are so many idoits out there in the World...literally not just the witness world....that to try to make a point without being perfectly consise and clear will not can not happen...???

BREEZE

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

breeze,

You hit the nail on the head. The discussion there just goes in circles. Witnesses refuse to give a consise definition of the term "god". The following is one of my posts to them:

everyone,

I can't believe I'm getting into this discussion again. But, it just
    seems to go on and on and on. Looking back at the messages, I'm
    beginning to detect a pattern.

The JW concept of Jesus as a god seems very fluid. Objections are
    meet with a slippery re-definition of the word god. When
    Trinitarians object with the idea of only one true God, suddenly this
    is justified in various ways, usually with the idea that there are
    many gods (angels, authorities, etc...). Jesus is grouped with these
    somewhat lesser gods to justify the existence of more than one god.
    Although these are called gods, they are not really gods in the
    strictest sense of the word. This gets around the multple god
    problem.

Once this is established the discussion shifts to Jesus's nature as a
    god. It is suggested that he is very much above the other gods,
    second only to Jehovah. This makes Jesus a god while not the
    Almighty God Jehovah.

Now that this is established, it can be used to justify that Jesus is
    a god in every sense. He can even be worshiped as a god unlike the
    worshipping of angels, although it is Jehovah that is truly deserving
    of worship.

Now we are back to the one true God/multiple God problem.

The discussion will just continue in this circle until somebody gives
    up.
    pseudo
  • Gopher
    Gopher

How about the effects of strict monotheism on religious discussion?

A recent "Time" magazine article pointed to the role that Abraham plays in Judaism, Christianity and Islam. He can be viewed as the father of all 3. Hence there's hope that somehow people will come to recognize their commonality.

However, whom did Abraham favor? Isaac or Ishmael? Oops, there goes another debate.

BUT HERE'S THE POINT ABOUT MONOTHEISM: Abraham is viewed as the one who introduced monotheism and really made it a dominant idea. Monotheism is almost viewed as radical from this perspective.

Whereas polytheism allows for multiple gods -- as in , "hey you worship your way and I'll worship mine, and it's okay", monotheism says "our God is supreme, our God can beat up your God". And therefore you have senseless religious-based conflict due to monotheism.

Monotheism has produced a lot of close-minded religious zealots, apparently. Even if monotheism makes sense, why do these religions feel the need to force it down other people's throats?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit