Did we take nothing good from the JW's?

by kenpodragon 20 Replies latest jw friends

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

Recently on another location online, someone told me my thoughts sound like something from a Watchtower or Awake. They said, I come off in the same manner and use illustrations to speak. It was also mentioned that I come off as an elder at times, and sound very authoritarian in my manner. I have always been one that can take constructive criticism, even if the manner of the post I am mentioning was done in a attack format. It, however, is not the first time someone has said this. I have even been accused of being "guru" like and others have actually even taken the step to warn people not to read me. All of which I can accept, and not be offended by. I have to ask though, was there nothing good you took from the religion? I ask this, as I can honestly tell you, some skills I learned were good. Had I not done so much public speaking, I would not have known how to blend one thought into another, while still making a point. Had I not read the Bible, Watchtower, Awake and many books so much, I would not have been someone who reads as fast as I do today and considers reading enjoyable and fun. Had I not conducted so many Bible Studies, I would not have understood how to teach. Had I not attended so many shepherding calls, and received so many personal phone calls from members in the congregation, I would not have understood the importance of listening to people in times of need. So I wonder, are the skill to speak, read, teach, and listen ... something the Witnesses owned the rights to? Because when I left the religion and found a path of my own, I did not think I needed to leave these skills at the door. I felt that perhaps, these were the reason for all of my years in the religion. So that I could control my life, guide my family, and run my business with skills that could make my attempts successful. Personally, I think as a human being, these skills have grown since leaving the Witnesses. Why do I say that? Well for one, I no longer have some hidden motive in my thoughts. I write for the pleasure of writing, and I speak for the pleasure of communication. The only thing I really teach anymore is martial arts, and I only do that with a select few. I do listen a lot, and I know that my listening skills have improved a lot since leaving. Mainly because I know longer take every message at face value, and I start to realize certain things are actually being said. So I am using myself as an example here. In the meaning though, I am asking you a question. Did all the skills you learn in the Kingdom Hall stay there? If not, doesn't it make sense then ... that when someone speaks or writes, and it sounds interesting. They are not trying to convert you to anything, they might just like writing. I do not credit everything good with a negative memory of the Watchtower, and I hope you do not either. To relieve people too, I will add; I belong to no religion, I do not have anything to convert people too, and I really just love writing and talking to people from around the world. At the end of these words, is someone just like you. My thought Dragon

• Dawn
    Dawn

Good post kenpodragon. I agree that I learned some good skills also. My career requires a lot of public speaking so those talks (even the stupid little sister skits we gals had to do) did help.

But I think that the best lessons I learned were those I took while I was leaving:

- Never be afraid to ask questions. Be sure of what you believe

- Be true about who you are. It's great to be part of a group, whether family, church group, social group, etc. But when you sacrifice your true self to fit into that group, then your loss is greater than the "gain". Find a group where you can fit in AND be yourself

- I am no longer a victim - I am now a survivor.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Dragon,

I agree that it is balanced to come to terms with the fact that we CAN admit we did learn some things from our time inside the JW organization, while still repudiating the tactics they use to control people.

I think it depends on WHEN you joined (were you young or more set in your ways), and for HOW LONG did you stay in?

I agree that the public speaking courses helped me to be able to speak up in group situations (such as the workplace) that have nothing at all to do with religion.

And of course there was a basic set of morals taught, although somewhat restrictive. But a reasonable person would likely agree it's not ALWAYS good to give in to ALL your desires, although the force of restrictiveness as a JW member may have been a bit much. I guess the point is you can learn something from almost every situation.

If there were not SOME positive points about being a JW, then nobody would be fooled into ever believing it!!

• riz
    riz
    gopher says:

If there were not SOME positive points about being a JW, then nobody would be fooled into ever believing it!!

true. for example, i got a kick-ass hoagie recipe out of the deal. nobody can take that away from me!

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Yes I did, I am now able to spot mindless Bull S**t a mile away now. Thanks JWs!

• mouthy
    mouthy

Good Post kenpodragon-------I learned alot also.

But I think those who were raised as JW didnt have a chance to "grow" as themselves.....

We were sort of robots.... If I had never become a JW -I would probably still be puffing away on a cigarette. & at the price they are today.i would be broke to smoke...

• rocky220
    rocky220

Yeah!!!!.....And I also manage not to be a hateful, controlling, two-faced, manipulative, lying, undercover sex crazed passive aggressive!!! [Whew] I guess there is a God, He's just not in the WT.

rocky220

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun

LOL! @ ThiChi. That is about all I learned.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Doing the "stupid little sister skits" was the beginning of my love for acting. Going door to door made me unafraid to go to auditions. The KM school prepared me for my career in broadcast radio. Dressing for the meetings helped me learn how to dress in a professional environment Having to pay attention for fear of failing the oral exam when I got home from the meeting helped me hone my listening skills. The desire to make the best dessert at the get togethers helped to make me a great cook......

Love,

Robyn (of the I haven't too many regrets class)

Edited to add a fluffy hug to (((((Orbiting the Sun)))))

Edited by - robdar on 10 October 2002 15:44:4

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun

Awww! Thanks Robyn :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit