What would you do?

by troucul 19 Replies latest social family

• queer_reality
    queer_reality

As far as my situation, wife wants desperately to get back together...if I do that, I'm going to be miserable and wind up killing myself. I just don't love her. (We have a loooooong history) I suppose kids would be better off, but like you guys said, how can I make anyone else happy if I'm not?

I can tell you this: when I was a very young I wanted my parents to get a divorce -- as long as my dad got custody of us kids. My mother was emotionally disturbed and very difficult to live with. My parents stayed together. My dad was miserable. My sister and I decided that we would never have children -- we were not going to take the chance that we would put anyone through what we had to deal with. I was suicidal by the time I was 12. I'm now 36, my sister is 41 and neither of us has, or plans on having, children.

There are worse things than divorce for the adults and for the children. I think that it is good for your kids to see you going after fullfilment in your own life. This will give them the message that doing so is not just OK, but is very important.

queereality

• tranquility
    tranquility

You know I've been thinking about your comment ....

"if I do that, I'm going to be miserable and wind up killing myself."

Are you serious? My brother comitted suicide. Suicide is nothing to toy with. I'm getting the impression that there is more to the story than fits in the "nutsack". Would it help to elaborate?

• butalbee
    butalbee

Oh let's see THREE people? My mother, my aunt, and my forever lurking cousin--most definitely. Besides, I feel I can make my own happiness--some people need help to find it.

Troucul--how long have yeah been married, and why don't you love her anymore? I don't understand how some people can just 'fall' out of love.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

In my home growing up , divorce was out of the question for my JW parents, plus they loved each other most of the time. They just got married too young and were so different. Things got rocker each year and miserable for us all. Looking back I wish my mom and dad would have went their seperate ways, at the time I am sure it would have hurt. But if you knew my life story at home, you would agree, the pain at first would have saved me years of anguish because of things my parents did. I mean years of trying to figure my childhood out as an adult.

No one knows your situation like you do, but kids adapt , as long as dad/mom stays in the picture and the kids don't feel like they have been divorced too. I have seen it work well, when the parent that is not in the home with the kids, makes it a point to keep the love flowing , activties with them, just as they would had they stayed in the home. It really does hurt kids more to see the tormoil in the home, than to see a parent move out. I would say just try extra extra hard to be part of their lives on a daily basis if you move out. They need to know the truth , you just can't live together ,but you love them no matter what.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I have to agree with Lyingeyes..My home had a lot of hassles-I was a JW- my hubby wasnt-He is dead now-we never divorced-I was unhappy in the marriage although I did love him- but the fights were mainly over me being a JW.

My daughter now tells me ( she is 54) that it was pure hell laying in bed at night listning to the fights- wondered if she would find me dead in the A.M.

I think Jesus died for US- to live MORE abundently- If you continue to support your kids, See them often -keep telling them you love them, Explain that it would be unkind to your wife to pretend. Even though she may be a wonderful person?.

I would not have given this advice as a Witness-I would say you have to stick it out.( as the brothers? told me) But as a Christian I say "It is Finished" go on with your life- but continue to support your kids. My two cents.

• troucul
    troucul

Mouthy, your a good example of wisdom comes with age...funny you hardly know me but your perception is right on...please don't take the age comment harshly, i meant it as a complement.

And tranquil, yes i have thought about it...I feel like I'm predestined for it...depression and suicide run heavy in my family. A friend told me it's a state of mind. That's bullshit....I read one of scooter's posts in another thread and I tend to agree with her (it can be genetic also) I think about my relationship with her and I get so angry. She made a 'mistake' a few years ago and I can't get over it. I 'm not sure if i've forgiven, and I sure as hell won't forget. Goddammit I'm tired of being strong, being the better person. It sucks. Where do I fit in? I absolutely refuse to live a life without being in love. Being a witness taught me to just suck it up. Even though I'm out, I can't change what they drove into me. And counseling is out of the question for many reasons I can't get into.

People say you should live your life with no regrets. My life is full of them already, my getting back together with her a few years ago is one of them. I could have saved myself so much heartache if I had just stayed by myself. Guilt is a powerful emotion. It tricks you into thinking you're in love. I'm so mad right now.

I know I'm all over the place here, if anyone can decipher what I said feel free to reply.

Sorry I'm so gloomy, i've been dwelling on it as of late,

two words lyin: thank you

queer, that is the path i prefer, to be honest. I hope you're right

and celia, is there a chance i could get your email? i have a feeling you and I have some things in common

Edited by - troucul on 9 October 2002 16:18:2

• mouthy
    mouthy

troucul---Yes my love age does give experiences. At 75 I wish I could write a book- telling what a foolish person I was by not doing what I thought was right- instead of listning to others I thought were more educated, smarter, etc.

I dont give a damn what ANYONE says now I do what I want....If no one likes it. it is their problem not mine

I try not to hurt others. But I have learned to say NO!! How I wish I had done that ALL my life. Be good to yourself sweetie. Grace

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

In a heartbeat!!

~Beck~

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

Troucul,

I am in an unhappy marriage with two children and I feel exactly like you do when you ask why you have to be the strong one. Maybe it would have been different for me if she hadn't explored the possibility (hell, let's admit it, she actually tried) of having me locked up in a mental hospital.

Another poster asked how people can fall out of love? How do you fall in love? Now reverse the process. Earlier you spent lots of time with s/he. You were motivated to do special things for this person. What they said and did mattered.

Throw in time, the growing impermanance of things around us (I have cartridge pens where I replace the ink holder, not the whole pen, but it's cheaper nowadays for Bic or whoever to make a whole new pen than just a refiller to put inside the old pen shell, as one example), money worries and working more and more hours to make ends meet, less free time, and emotion gradually dies off, like the embers of a campfire. Sometimes the flame can be fanned anew, but other times, you're better off leaving.

Children will be hurt if they (1) are made to feel they're the reason why or (2) are forced to take sides in a loyalty battle. My advice there: if your wife does that, never reply in kind. Tell them you love them and people sometimes just can't make a go of it. They'll draw the proper conclusions on their own.

Ask yourself this: if you feel suicide is a distinct possibility, what will hurt them more--if you reunite with your wife, the children think things will be better, and one day you take your own life and they're devastated, or you leave, and keep them in your life while building a new one? And if she's a vengeful type, what might she tell them about you after you're gone that they'll think must be true (look what you did, they'll think) and you won't be there to rebut her?

I'm planning on starting a thread in Personal Experiences asking what I'm letting myself in for as far as stress during a divorce. You might want to read the answers I get. May help you make a decision.

I won't say you should do this or not do this, but it's obvious which side of the question I come down on. It's just too easy for those of us who don't have to suffer from bad advice we give out to give it out!

Good luck in whatever you decide. And bro, you're getting counseling right here. We don't have degrees in the field (most of us) but we can empathize far more.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I am getting WELCOME tattooed on my forehead.

I have chosen the doormat role all my life. I'm not satisfied unless everyone around me is happy. Giving up my happiness to meet that goal is not a problem for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit