Why we dont tell....male abuse

by Brummie 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Brummie Your courage speaks loudly in your words. It takes courage to hold in the secret when a part of you is dying inside. It takes courage to begin to think about it again after years of suppressing the memory and feelings. And it takes courage to share it with us here.

I have heard many men explain the effects in exactly the same way. You are sadly not alone. Thank you for sharing your story.

Brummie sit your wife down and talk to her.

Here is an excellent list of books to help men who were abused

• Abused Boys: The Neglected Victims of Sexual Abuse by Mic Hunter
    • Against The Wall by Hardy & Hough
    • Broken Boys/Mending Men by Stephen D. Grubman-Black
    • Male Survivors: by Timothy Sanders
    • Victims No Longer by Mike Lew

Take good care of yourself and trust your wife to be there for you

Get good counseling

Trust what is good and right deep inside of you

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Brummie, Thanks for sharing and reaching out...as a male survivor, you mind find this interesting. Something I wrote on the subject.

Why Boys don't Tell by Donald D'Haene

As a survivor of sexual abuse, what strikes me as most ironic is the fact that male victims still remain nameless: ashamed of their experience even now, in 2002. Why should male victims be ashamed when our numbers are legion? It's time we talked openly about child abuse and its prevention. But the fact is that men are ashamed of disclosing their experience with sexual abuse. They shouldn't be.

Almost two decades ago, I decided, along with four other victims (three male, one female), to charge our abuser. Since 1982, after going to court and public with our case, scores of men have disclosed their abuse to me but few have gone public. For every man like hockey player Sheldon Kennedy, there are thousands who remain silent. Why? Our society cultivates feelings of shame in subtle and not-so-subtle ways. Often an abuser is enabled to continue molesting by members of the community. For example, consider the protection that powerful institution, the church, provided our abuser, my father. My younger brother disclosed the abuse to our mother, two years later, my older brother confided in the ministers of our congregation. To report our abuse would have involved the Children's Aid Society, which would have removed us from our father's reach. Although our father was excommunicated by the congregation and our mother was publicly reproved for not reporting the incidents to the ministers earlier, we four children were sent back home with our abuser. Therefore, although the congregation was protected, the abuser's children and the public at large were not.

From the disclosures other victims have shared with me, my experience is not unusual in this regard. But even people who truly care about victims add to the issue of personal shame. One minister and his wife told me it would be better if I change my name "because there is a bad sound to it now. It's connected to the abuser. People will think of him, not of you as his victim." Another reason for silence is a concern for the feelings of the extended family. But I suggest disclosure may lessen the feelings of shame.

Sometimes victims must listen to their abuser being praised as a fine pillar in the community. Silence perpetuates abuse. I am not suggesting that court proceedings will not prove daunting. In our case, even though a conviction was achieved, I learned justice is a relative term. The judge, in his oral reasons for judgment, said, my "childhood must have been a hell on Earth," but he also found that my abuser, "is not now, in my opinion, in need of rehabilitation or reformation and is not now a danger to any member of the public." He said he based this on my father's lawyers' submissions and a psychiatric report which "shows clearly that there is no overt sign of mental illness." How is it possible that a victim's recovery process involves years of therapy, ongoing issues such as sexual confusion and flashbacks, whereas an abuser can be deemed free of mental illness, and not in need of rehabilitation? Because in our case, the prosecutor never interviewed the victims, never asked if we wanted to testify, and had arranged a plea-bargain before the case went to trial. We had no opportunity to dispute or challenge any testimony.

Finally, the most common reason male victims feel shame is our culture's imposed guilt of homosexual contact. Unfortunately, sexual abuse of males is often labeled in this way instead of the criminal act it is. Survival is a never-ending process. Our society still tries to silence victims. My abuser writes me: "It appears (I) am the only one whose lifestyle reflects that of the Almighty...I forgive you for all that you have done to me."

But I encourage fellow victims and survivors to take charge of their destiny. Come forward, seek help and healing. For those who have the strength, fortitude and peer support, consider telling your story and seek legal counsel now. It is only by publicly bonding that we can truly feel we are not alone, not to blame and do not need to continue feeling shame. For more information on sexual abuse issues, visit http://www.fatherstouch.com/Links.htm

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

((((((((((Brummie)))))))))))

You are very brave to come forward and tell your story. Especially explaining why abused ones don't speak up.

You have spoken for thousands who are still dealing with their abuse. Thank you.

j2bf

• waiting
    waiting
    my wife is a teacher she has studied child psychology and emmediatly recognised the signs..later she asked me if I was sexually abused as a child (Guilt! I hadnt told her), to which I responded "look if something like that had happened it would be best to leave me to tell you in my own time"...still not telling! I physically shook when asked this question, sounds crazy now that I am in my late 30's but it shows just how "not telling" someone leaves us in a bigger hole sometimes. brummie

Hello Brummie - and welcome - and thank you.

Lord, there are so many of us. But for as many victims speaking out on the internet.......there are so many more who don't even have a computer! I think if you summon up the breath to talk with your wife, you'll be amazed at the weight off your shoulders. When you speak about it.....it loses some of it's secretive power over you. Lol, then you talk more & more & more.....and the power subsides.

It's a great thing that you've got a good family - congratulations!

A woman who is a victim, called me the other day - as her brother married a woman who has an 18 year old daughter who was raped by her stepbrother. The father found out - and covered the whole thing up. Yep - they're all JW's, and it's been 3 years ago.......and the girl's "acting out."

Here's the kicker - this woman knows me & the fact that my daughter was abused & elders were dismissive about it. But somehow, the ignorant JW thinks if she can "just find the right article" - all things will be made right for this other rape victim. And somehow, the girl won't have to speak about it. Just get better by the power of the WT writings.

Btw, that's why she called me - to find out if I had "that special article written about a decade ago."

waiting

Yeah right. Just read the Awake and all will be well.

Edited by - waiting on 5 October 2002 13:39:47

• Dia
    Dia

Wonderful things will open up for you when you begin to share this with your wife. It's nice that you sort of have already alluded to it with her. It sounds like she could be a very loving person when it comes to you. Thanks for sharing it with us.

• Francois
    Francois

I'm very impressed that you've told what happened to you, and humbled that you chose to tell all of us. People only tell their serious "secrets" in a time and at a place where they feel safe, and I'm pleased that you feel safe here.

It's really amazing what society loads up little boys with when you think about it. And it seems to be common across all cultures.

Little boys don't cry.
    Little boys are never afraid.
    Little boys are strong.
    Little boys are qualified to "take care" of things while Dad is gone.
    Little boys apparently have no feelings whatsoever.
    Little boys are told, you stop that crying right now or I'll give you something to cry about; so:
    Little boys can be threatened, abused, humiliated, invalidated, used.

And there is not ONE elder in the entire world who knows the first thing about signals from Little People that there is something wrong in their young, innocent lives. And, as has been pointed out, the little people don't have the vocabulary to tell what is happening to them and with them.

There is simply NO training provided for elders that would make them sensitive to the piles of information about the families in distress that is paraded right before their eyes for five or more hours a week. And some of this evidence is so obvious. The WTBTS should be hauled into the dock and questioned closely why it did not provide adequate training to the men who would behave as God's representative within the congregation. The WTBTS had adequate reason to know that such training was necessary; they SHOULD HAVE known that there would be families in distress or worse that the men they appointed would have to deal with by these appointees and that these appointees needed training. Of course, if Jaracz and some of the other members of the GB were pedophiles, the last thing they would want would be informed elders OR an informed congregation. I continue to maintain that the GB, in its entirety is guilty of child endangerment by acts of ommission, and guilty of child sex abuse accessory after the fact by knowing other acts of ommission and that they should be prosecuted for it.

And there is yet another form of abuse that is NEVER DISCUSSED, virtually anywhere but which is far more common than you might think. I am referring to the physical abuse of men by their wives. In a three-year study done by the social services department of Hennepin County (Minneapolis) Minnesota, it was convincingly demonstrated that spousal abuse of husbands by wives was EVERY BIT AS COMMON as spousal abuse the other way around. Yet it is virtually never reported; WHY? What man is going to call the police and say, "my wife just beat me up?" That's one reason. Another is the wife usually is weaker than her husband. She may throw a few ineffectual punches at her husband, or may try to even the odds with a heavy object. But wives don't usually know squat about fighting. The husband puts up with this abuse and puts up with this abuse over and over until one day, when he gets enough, and he punches his wife one good time, with all his weight behind his fist and sure enough, the wife is injured and - so far as the law is concerned, innocent, even though she has been working overtime provoking her husband into doing what she finally got him to do. Some men just suffer in silence because they know the deck is stacked against them. I can tell you this, the National Organization of Women screamed to the heavens when this story I've just told you was published in the Minneapolis Star. They of course denied it happened, ever.

But just like the adults who deny child sex abuse, we all know NOW's denial is bullshit, don't we?

francois

P.S. Thanks again for your post, sir. You are a courageous person taking real steps to really take care of yourself. Your life is in for tornadic change real soon. All of it good.

• Brummie
    Brummie

I'm at work so cant respoond to you all individually however what I will say is "You are all worth your weight in gold" from the first post to the last have been tremendous.

Its been quite theraputic to at least have dialogue on a subject that most of the time is avoided or never spoken about. Usually those who dont tell never hear an reassuring voice on the subject or a word of encouragment because no one ever knew that they needed to hear it! Its a crazy cycle.

http://www.lovenorrisattorneys.com/jehova.html

http://www.fatherstouch.com/Links.htm

Edited by Brummie cus he got a free minute at work to come back and edit

Edited by - Brummie on 5 October 2002 21:8:43

• Englishman
    Englishman

Hi Brum:

Can you email me please. I know roughly where you are, I'm in WSM.

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit