by Nathan Natas 16 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

http://www.andersonsc.com/stories/story_page.asp?id=68899

Drowned girl's mother is charged

By Nathan Golden
    Anderson Independent-Mail
    10/4/2002

HARTWELL Hart County authorities have filed involuntary manslaughter charges against the mother of an 11-month-old girl who drowned in the family's bathtub two weeks ago.

Tonya Lee Parker, 31, of 135 Kotal Road in western Hart County, was arrested Tuesday morning and released on $10,000 bond. Mrs. Parker was at home when her youngest daughter, Alyssa McKenzie Parker, slipped under her bath water on Sept. 17.

The 11-month-old Alyssa survived on life support at Greenville Memorial Hospital for three days. She died on Sept. 20.

Hart County Sheriff Mike Cleveland made it clear Thursday that investigators aren't accusing Mrs. Parker of any criminal intent leading to the death of her child.

"But she's in charge of that child," Sheriff Cleveland said. "When you neglect that charge and a death results, the state has no choice but to charge her."

In an interview on Sept. 20, Mrs. Parker said she had been up all night with her sick daughter and was preparing to give her a bath on Sept. 17 when a group of Jehovah's Witnesses knocked on her door. She said she started talking to the visitors, whom she knew, and forgot that her daughter was in the bathroom.

The baby's father, Danny Parker, attempted to revive her until an ambulance arrived about 17 minutes after Mrs. Parker called 911. Mrs. Parker claimed responsibility for her child's death but said she said she believed her life could have been saved if medical help had arrived sooner.

In a Sept. 20 interview, Hart County Emergency Medical Service Director Terrell Partain said the Parkers' newly named drive had not yet been entered into the county's 911 database on Sept. 17, which delayed efforts to find the family's home, probably by at least seven minutes.

If she is convicted of involuntary manslaughter, Mrs. Parker won't necessarily serve jail time, Sheriff Cleveland said. He said a judge could sentence her to intensive probation if he chooses to.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Wt publishes cute little stories of how good things just seem to happen because of or during dub home visits. I bet they won't publish this one.

SS

• Quotes
    Quotes

SS, I was just thinking the same thing. I guess those guardian angels that are rumoured to be following and protecting JWs when they are out in service don't extend their protection to 11month old babies of householders!

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

This is so sad, it only takes a few seconds and tradgedy happens. It could have been the Avon lady, boy scouts , girl scouts, or encyclepida sellsman at the door. Really what does it matter who held the lady up at the door, it is such a terrible thing. And as all parents know it only takes a few minutes of taking your eye off your baby for a second for something so horrible to happen. I know this woman will blame herself and grieve for the rest of her life, since it was she that gave the baby a bath. So very sad.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I agree with you, Eyes, it is a terribly sad story.

I re-programmed myself years ago to realize that I had no obligation to answer the doorbell or the telephone if I was doing something that I felt was more important at the time. If I were bathing a small child (which I have never done and do not plan to do) I certainly would not leave them alone in tub to answer the friggin' door.

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

This is very sad for all concerned.

The Watchtower always claims the angels are directing the door to door work. Maybe they were asleep for this one or they figured she was going to die at Armageddon anyway and just watched. It is correct to assume we will not read about this in such a wonderful magazine.

HCM

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

A while ago, I gave my son a lesson on "selective reporting" - how you can prove just about anything using completely correct and verifiable data. All you have to do is omit the negatives.

One example is, if you listen to the experiences at assemblies, you will believe that angels direct every aspect of the preaching work, as evidenced by countless examples of persons who were praying for a visit or were about to kill themselves when the Witlesses came.

If you look only at the cited examples, you might actually believe it. In reality, the preaching work is totally random, and is as likely to precipitate a disaster as a miracle. But, they will never give this experience at an assembly.

This is a terrible tragedy, and one that is so senseless.

God must have been asleep at the switch, again.

• Dia
    Dia

One big difference between the Avon lady and the girl scouts and the JWs. The Avon lady and the girl scouts are trained to be polite and respectful and not too pushy. The JWs spend a lot of time training to override ANY objections because they are on a mission from God that is more important than ANYTHING you might possibly think you 'need' to be doing.

Not making any accusations, but you know what I'm talking about.

• avengers
    avengers

Sad, very sad. I bet the lady is just torn up about it. Well, thank Jehovah for another life lost.

Spiritual food at the right time. Wonder who timed this?

• Satanus
    Satanus

A very important point, nathan. People should reprogram themselves as to the importance of answering door knocks an phone calls. With so many junk calls, they aren't as important as they used to be. Even if they are of some importance, our own affairs may well be more important. People can always call again, or leave messages. Are we obligated to grant anyone and everyone the right to enter our privacy???

SS

Edited by - saintsatan on 5 October 2002 4:20:30

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit