Doom and despair.

by Norm 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Norm
    Norm

Warning! To all of you, who live in the awful illusionary realities of the Watchtower world, where everything has gotten so much worse since 1914, will hate the following information so I recommend all faithful Jehovah's Witnesses not to read any further as this could seriously harm your ability to maintain the doom and gloom mindset so carefully projected into your minds by the Watchtower literature and at the meetings. Statements like this:

*** w97 4/1 4 Why Are These Times So Bad? ***
    It is terrifying to face the fact that suffering from crime, war, famine, and disease is increasing on a scale unprecedented in human history. The effects of dealing with the realities of this 20th century can be profound indeed—bewilderment, fear, and depression are common.

One wonders in vain on what planet those writers in Brooklyn live. For those who are interested I will mention some of the very encouraging information from “The World Health Report 1998”. In the first chapter, the “Message from the Director-General” the following is said:

“Despite being threatened by two devastating world wars in the first half of this century, and by many other conflicts and catastrophes in the second, humanity has, in general, not merely survived; it has thrived. Today, at least 120 countries (total population above 5 billion) have a life expectancy at birth of more than 60 years; the global average is 66 years compared to only 48 years in 1955; it is projected to reach 73 years in 2025”

The report then goes on to emphasize the importance of health expectancy instead of life expectancy. Take a look at this next quote, which NEVER will appear in the Watchtower literature:

“Based on a review of health trends in the past 50 years, it finds that overall, remarkable improvements in health have been due to socioeconomic development, the wider provision of safe water, sanitation facilities and personal hygiene, and the establishment and expansion of national health services.
    Major infectious diseases, such as poliomyelitis, leprosy, guinea-worm disease, Chagas disease and river blindness, are steadily being defeated. There have been spectacular advances in the development of vaccines and medicines, and countless other innovations in the investigation, diagnosis and treatment of illness, in the reduction of disability and in rehabilitation. “

Notice the sentence “, the wider provision of safe water,”. Wow, they won’t tell you that one in the Awake! But cheer up all “ye faithful ones”, the next quote could easily show up in any Awake! It is just the kind of stuff they love:

“Tragically, however, while average life expectancy has been increasing throughout the 20th century, 3 out of 4 people in the least developed countries today are dying before the age of 50 - the global life expectancy figure of half a century ago. This year, 21 million deaths - 2 out of every 5 worldwide - will be among the under-50s, including 10 million small children who will never see their fifth birthday though most children worldwide are now immunized against major childhood killers. Over seven million will be men and women in what should be some of the best and most productive years of their lives. Reducing these premature deaths is one of the greatest challenges facing humanity at the dawn of the 21st century.”

“That’s more like it” you faithful ones might say. Did you notice this little gem hidden in the quote?
    I mean this one: “50 - the global life expectancy figure of half a century ago”. Does that tell you anything? Probably not, well then let me explain. It means that 50 were the average life expectancy ALL over the world half a century ago, but now this is only the case in the least developed countries! Now, what do you think that this fact reveals to us? Does it tell us that everything was SO much better half a century ago, as the Watchtower literature claims? Or does it tell us that life is far better today? But alas, the Awake!, would of course never even try to show such a quote in context. “How wonderful, imagine 10 million children annually will never see their fifth birthday. What a sign of the end, of course never before have so many children died before the age of 5!” Cry the faithful followers of Brooklyn. But if you look at this in the context of history you will find that in 1955 there were 21 million children dying annually before reaching the age of 5:

“Spectacular progress in reducing under-5 mortality achieved in the past few decades is projected to continue, and could even accelerate. There were about 11 million deaths among children under 5 in 1995 compared to 21 million in 1955; there will only be 5 million deaths in 2025.”

And we also have to remember that the world population has at least doubled since 1955, which make this progress even more remarkable. Another important detail to note is that the number of children dying before the age of 5 was even higher in the earlier centuries. Isn’t it wonderful to see how everything has gotten better since 1914?

I can really recommend that you all read the World Health Report 1998. And all of the other reports as well. It will educate the doom and gloom people to no end. It will of course be fatal to your dark illusions of mankind being on the brink of extermination, but somehow you will probably be able to find a way to ignore such uncomfortable facts. After all, the Watchtower “truth” isn’t about facts at all, is it?

Anyway, you will also find some really juicy stuff about HIV/AIDS in the report, which taken out of context could make some real good doom and gloom material, so all hope is not lost.

Enjoy.

Norm.

• Bruce144
    Bruce144

Hi Norm,

The extension of life during this century only verifies the 1914 date of this generation being alive to see Armageddon. The extended time allowed by God's medical technology has upgraded the ability to drive cars at 90 and more years of age. Transplants, new knees and hips have added years thought to be dead for those people still collecting Social Security set up in 1935 There is a special view in mind by Jehovah for this generation to see the new world in. After of course the world learns that the 144,000 are replacing the fallen noels.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Now Bruce, careful!

You said:<<There is a special view in mind by Jehovah for this generation to see the new world in.>>

Perhaps you have missed the Watchtower magazines over the past 5 years! You see, the W/T doesn't teach that anymore! Which generation in your view will see the new world in?

I am amazed at your other assertion that Jehovah has "a special view in mind". What scripture did you have in mind? Please tell us.

Ozzie (make sure of all things class)

• trevor
    trevor

Good post Norm,

A well thought out and informative read. You have highlighted the negativity that
    thrives in the Tower and causes so much fear throughout the membership.

• joelbear
    joelbear

There was a cover story in Wired magazine sometime in the last year or so called The Long Boom which was an optimistic look at the 21st century. It had quotes in it from the guy who wrote the stuff about 1975 being the culmination of all things bad and another guy refuting him point by point.

It was so weird seeing those quotes from the Truth book that I must have read a jillion times to Bible studies being refuted by the scientific method in a worldy magazine.

hugs

Joel

• JAVA
    JAVA

Norm,

You always see the glass as half full, backing it up with flimsy evidence like “The World Health Report 1998." We all know The Watchtower is the final authority on these matters because worldly resources are controlled by Satan. The Devil roams the world seeking to devour us by adding years to our lives. This is what The Watchtower means when saying, "The effects of dealing with the realities of this 20th century can be profound..."

The Tower is bewildered and depressed dealing with these realities. Slaves Brothers are living longer in the Tower's sweat shops factories and not dying at age 50 like they did in the good old days. The older brothers are not working as hard, which is Satan's plan of slowing down Jehovah's important work of selling magazines. The Society is still depressed that Jehovah didn't murder non-members of their club in 1914, 1918, 1925, 1975 etc., but now they're dealing with the bad news of people living longer! Indeed, The Watchtower finally got a prediction right when saying, "It is terrifying (for the Watchtower Society) to face the fact(s)..."

--JAVA
    counting time at the Coffee Shop

• Bruce144
    Bruce144

Hi Ozzie,

I still value the 1914 year with what Jesus said, and not to any 2520 years leading to it or what the Society has changed or not changed. I doubt whether they still use the 7000 for each creative day leading to 48,000 years and the last 1000 years for a total of 49,000 years. This is symbolized by the Jubilee Sabbath at Lev.25, and the turning to things back to normal, beginning the 50,000 years after Satan and the demons and wicked are destroyed. Once again there will be a perfect earth and heaven after a short delay by Satan. Amos 3: 7 shows us that Jehovah will use a prophet to warn us of the things he does. I count on him and not the many changes made by the Watchtower GB for only 6,000,000 Witnesses. Billions will become members of the great crowd when the final message is given.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Very interesting post, Norm. Thanks for bringing that to light.

Usually when I see a long post with quotes, I move on. But I couldn't stop reading this one!

Also, loved this emotional WT appeal:

The effects of dealing with the realities of this 20th century can be profound indeed—bewilderment, fear, and depression are common.

So... if you are not bewildered, afraid, or depressed, then you are uncommon! You are not normal! Get afraid, and then read this article to soothe your fear!

I for one am grateful that the world is a healthier, more prosperous place to live than it was earlier last century.

Gopher

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

Good thread about how things are getting better for humans not worse as the

JWs would have everyone think . The plain facts show they LIE .

Also here is a excellent report showing the last 100 years was Greatest Century That Ever Was .

The Greatest Century That Ever Was: 25 Miraculous Trends of the Past 100 Years

http://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/pa364.pdf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit