Can I visit Brooklyn HQ?

by Max Divergent 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

I'm planning to go to NYC soon and I would like to tour HQ!! I seem to remember members of the public were welcome? I went to watchtower.org but that didn't tell me anything about tours and there's no email contact - anyone know what the score is or who I book a vist (or protest march or whatever's going :-) through?

Cheers, Max

Edited by - Max Divergent on 4 October 2002 10:55:37

• Funchback
    Funchback

I don't know the procedure to set up a tour but I do know that you can't wear jeans and sneakers and it's preferred that you dress as though you are attending a meeting.

• outnfree
    outnfree

Yes, but WHY?!!! LOL

Seriously, call the main # -- I think the area code is now 718. I vaguely recall that an appointment wasn't necessary -- you went into the main bldg., up to the reception desk, and waited until the next tour guide was available. But that was many years ago. Also, if you're traveling a fair distance to tour, you may be able to eat lunch with the Bethel family. This should probably be arranged in advance. Meeting clothes are definitely the proper attire.

Report back here. LOL

out

• dannyboy
    dannyboy

Meeting clothes are definitely the proper attire

So , if I'd go to a meeting in Levi's, hiking boots, and wearing a SilentLambs shirt, that oughta be just right for a tour....maybe even with www.jehovahs-witness.com on the back....

---) Dan

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

Hi Funch & Out

LOL!! Yes, dress befitting God's House!! Mmm... better pack the 'ole suit 'n shiny shoes in the backpack then!! That'll be a langh! Good look!

I guess it's got a certain place in my heart & mind after all those years, so now I've got the opportunity to go I'd like to see it. Of course, I live just about as far away on the globe from NYC as it's possible to live so I probably won't get the chance again any time soon.

Now having lunch there is an interesting idea - I actually stayed O/N and breakfasted at Sydney once and it all freaked me out a bit! Now, to 'share a meal' with 'the HQ family' would be an interesting life experience...

Cheers, Max

• benext
    benext

Bethelites love giving tours. It gives them a half day off from work. If you wrote a letter something could probably be set up. Or if not enough time you could call and inquire. There is more than one tour. I know they had factory tours, home tours and tours of 360 Furman St. I don't know if 90 Sands has a tour.

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

Of course, there's lots of sites - Doh! I'm supposing a Home tour would be cool - see where the poor beggars sleep, so would a factory tour.... I can't even remember what 360 Furman St or 90 Sands are!!!! I think they're residences... ? Or offices... Urgghh.. whatever...

I've seen the video years ago, and skimmed the pictures in the wt/g and the opening sequence of Welcome Back Kotter, but that's about all I know of the place itself!! The Assembly Hall with the chandaliers would be great to see - Is that the Stanley Theatre? Maybe there'll be an assembly on??

I'm not DF or DA but I think I'll just be a memebr of the public who's got relitives who are JW and am interested to see the palce they talk about so much!!

Danny - LOL!

Cheers, Max

• outnfree
    outnfree

If you're not going as a "brother" you may not qualify for joining the "family" for lunch!

The Assembly Hall that used to be the Stanley Theatre is not in NYC -- it's in NJ. Hoboken???? If you can get in, it's quite something to compare where certain Metropolitan NY dubs have their circuit assemblies as opposed to say, the 'friends' in Sierra Leone? Why did we criticize the Catholics for their ornate churches, again? At least they FEED their 'rice Christians' in impoverished nations!

out

• benext
    benext

Jersey City Assembly Hall (formerly Stanley Theatre) did give tours daily. To get there you could take the PATH train to Journal Square and walk a couple of blocks. 360 Furman St. is where the Shipping Dept. is located. 90 Sands is a residence with two banquet halls on the roof. The easiest thing to do would be to go to a Kingdom Hall met a Bethelite and ask for a tour. They love these things! And (the best part) you'll never see them again.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Go for it! Nothing special is required for the tour except for proper 'meeting' attire. A jacket is not required. It might be a good idea to "represent" a bogus congo when you sign in for the tour. Also, if you manage to see one of those in-house phone books next to the courtesy phones, snag one. Those little books show all of the bethelites' phone extensions listed including the farm and country club.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit