Witnesses and anxiety disorder

by mana11 34 Replies latest watchtower medical

• mana11
    mana11

I saw this on a public user group for jw's

The Librarian librarian@jw-archive.org

the caption reads:

@beloving74 shares with us: “My daughter and I in service with the invitation work. Both of us suffer from anxiety disorder but all things are possible with Jehovah and we were even able to start pioneering for the first time. Almost been a year and going to pioneer school together in September. Jehovah can truly give you the power beyond normal if you truly believe and have faith he has your back and holy spirit will help you.”

Sad that both of these lovely looking people suffer from anxiety disorder!.

From Wikipedia;
    Anxiety disorders are a category of mental disorders characterized by feelings of anxiety and fear,[2] where anxiety is a worry about future events and fear is a reaction to current events.[2] These feelings may cause physical symptoms, such as a racing heart and shakiness.

Why do so many Witnesses suffer from this problem?. Surely the Happy GOD would be giving peace of mind and contentment with the knowledge that you will be surviving in a paradise.

And yet thousands of witnesses are on anti depressants. In my old Congregation i can count 12 out of 100 publishers, now apply that worldwide.

I am sure if the above 2 folk were to free themselves of this religion they may no longer suffer such problems.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

Wouldn't you have anxiety disorder if this guy was your leader?

Image result for governing body jehovah pic

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

High stress religion - the whole structure causes stress. Demands on one's time, demands to control spouse behavior, control children's behavior, and being watched and scrutinized constantly like a bug in a microscope. Add to that, guilt for feeling the need to do more, never reaching a level of approval, and guilt for wanting to enjoy normal life such as choosing not to attend a meeting but just sitting around knitting for a few hours.

Feeling like you have no right to make your own choices or decisions for fear of being disapproved by the Group.

The miracle is that the whole bunch of them aren't dropping like flies from coronary thrombosis.

Marina

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Not surprising really considering the fear mongering the WTS propagates or uses to stimulate the proliferation of its published literature.

Armageddon is soon, so be aware and make sure your in appeasement to Yahweh.

When your presented with a life or death situation there is bound to be psychological problems in people .

Not to mention the constant ever watching over by power tripping elders on everything you do, from the cloths you wear, to what your doing, to how much you're participating within the congregation.

The power, oh the power with ignorance combined with corruption , that is sociological behavior of the JWS and the Watchtower Publishing house.

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

I think in some ways the Organization leverages anxiety and depression to use it as a way to keep people in and do more. Why else would they constantly come out with articles and talks to trigger people's anxiety and set them on edge? How many times where we told that if you felt anxiety or depression it meant that you were spiritually weak and needed to focus more on doing things for the kingdom? "Armageddon is coming soon! Anxious? Depressed? You should be...Why not pioneer?" LOL!

Religion (and specially this one) is great at giving you a disease so that they can sell you their cure.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Cute kid.

Even back when I was still in, I'd come to suspect that WT ideology probably made mental and emotional disorders worse rather than better.

Occam's Razor, and all that.

• nmthinker
    nmthinker

There are entire WT studies about engaging in thought-crime. "Ever look at another woman that wasn't your wife? Ever have the desire to skip the meeting because you're tired? Ever have the desire to go on expensive vacations? Ever have doubts? Jehovah does not approve!"

They use people's insecurities and anxieties to keep people in line and subservient.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Religion (and specially this one) is great at giving you a disease so that they can sell you their cure.

Best one sentence description of religon I've read.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

One thing that is unique with the JWS is that their leader or leaders have continuously proclaimed that the world is coming to an end soon and judgment day is just around the corner.

This fear mongering did much towards inciting fear and anxiety into people's minds, which stimulated the proliferation of the WTS's. publications,.

This pretty much still goes on to this day.

Fear cultivated literature distribution and adherence to what is being taught, it also cultivated a semblance of power and control for the men who are positioned in power of this organization.

• Tornintwo
    Tornintwo

Iownmylife, Marina has it spot on...

also how many pioneers do you know who are sick? I've known loads who pioneer half the year then get sick and take 2 months off ill and get all the sympathy and encouragement to keep going despite illness, so they go back on the treadmill to pioneer again....I've often thought, why don't they stop pioneering and enjoy better health?

These illneses are a (subconscious) excuse for many to get off the hyper treadmill for a while without guilt or fear of judgement. The whole org from the mind control leaders to the overwrought, sick sisters would make a fascinating psychological study.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit