How do you deal with Anxiety!

by little_Socrates 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

So the other day I was walking through the huge local regional outlet shopping mall. I see this sign "how do deal with anxiety" didn't take very long at all to confirm it was a JW booth.

That sign bothered me. Do JW actually think they have something to say about anxiety? Do they think they can help?

or

Are they actively recruiting people with mental health problems? Do they see them as an easier mark?

For most here I know how they answered the question "how do you deal with anxiety". They left the cult!

• cantleave
    cantleave
    Cults recruit the vulnerable. They provide simplistic answers for complex problems.
  • JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

(IMHO) Anxiety is a mind-body thing that is generally (but not always) brought on by how we are thinking. Which can include what we are thinking about emotions and senses in th body. The body may feel something similar to fear and then the mind creates some story around it that can cause more fear..

Meditation is good for anxiety as is learning to witness your thoughts and realize you are not your thoughts. Also being open to the feelings within the body and not creating a story about them. Just silently watch and feel.

The worst thing for anxiety is bull-shit religious dogma that sets you against a mean little tribal deity who can supposedly know all your thoughts and so judge you accordingly. This type of psychological terrorism is the farthest thing from genuine help and health over anxiety.

How very sad the JW's are playing this card as if they had a valid answer and cure. When they are part of the problem.

• Zoos
  • dubstepped
    dubstepped

I've battled anxiety my whole life, and much of it a result of association and being brought up as a JW. Never had high wages because I pioneered instead of going to college despite numerous scholarship offers, so I struggled to make a decent wage. When I did make good money I had no clue how to handle it because money was always just a means to an end. No need to save any because this system will end soon. I struggle with social anxiety because I'm so different from others and was bullied so much growing up. Now that I'm fading I'm constantly thinking the car doors closing outside are elders coming to talk to me. Screwing up and getting disfellowshipped and losing all of my family was a constant fear, though I've pretty much lost them without even managing to get disfellowshipped due to the organization anyway. I've always been worried that I was going to be thrown in some sort of horrible camp where I would be tortured for my faith during a great tribulation that has been held over my head since I was a kid. And if, IF, I managed to do all of the right things there was a chance that I MAY be concealed in the day of Jehovah's anger and not be thrown into everlasting nothingness, but if I messed up it was all over, which I guess part of me feels now that I can't buy into what I was taught growing up anymore. Oh, there was always a fear that you'd listen to the wrong song and someone would rat you out, or say the wrong thing or talk to the wrong person. People are always watching us as JW's to catch us in a slip up whether inside or outside the organization. And I could have stumbled someone and been worthy of having a millstone tied around my neck and been hurled into the sea because I read a book that another brother or sister didn't approve of and they were so easily stumbled.

I could go on forever. As to what you saw, I don't think they're actively recruiting the mentally ill. For one, they don't have to, they flock to the organization and the congregations I was in were full of such illness, probably me included (though miraculously so much went away as I distanced myself). I'm sure that it was just a marketing message to attract people that face something so common today, that of anxiety, and to try and offer comfort from the scriptures. Of course, along with that comfort that they'll point to will come a whole slew of new things to be anxious about. Don't forget that the Devil is running about like a roaring lion, seeking to devour you at every turn. See, new anxiety for the uninitiated! You're welcome. :)

Just to be honest, I should probably add in that I come by anxiety naturally as well, and I'm an over-thinker. Look at my posts. This is probably one of the shorter ones, lol. My brain just goes and goes naturally.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    The JWs I knew dealt with anxiety and/or depression by taking medication.
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

They like to exploit common problems and anxiety is a common problem.

The irony is for every anxiety they claim to cure (ie the anxiety of thinking for yourself, the anxiety of making your own decisions, the anxieties of getting an education etc etc) they replace with more insidious harder to deal anxieties like the anxiety of not being good enough, the anxieties of not making it through the great trib, the anxieties of having non WT approved thoughts and feelings etc etc you know the ones.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I deal with it the same way they do:

• oppostate
    oppostate
    How very sad the JW's are playing this card as if they had a valid answer and cure. When they are part of the problem.

The life of a JW is filled with toil and drudgery, stress and anxiety.

When I finished reading CoC and ISoCF there was this big weight of anxiety that lifted off from me. I could see the pointlessness of following the WT and its hierarchy of task masters.

• steve2
    steve2

Since when have the JWs EVER pitched their message at well-adjusted, successful people?

Their message - as indeed the message of any fundamentalist religion - is pitched squarely at the downhearted and downtrodden and is designed to unsettle and pique curiosity.

It is little wonder that those who are attracted to the JW message are already troubled and prone to mental-health difficulties even before affiliating with the Witnesses.

Of course, the brutal fact that affiliation with the Witnesses very often makes people's problems worse is conveniently pushed aside in an effort to put a nice, smiley face on the religion's message.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit