Did Christ exist?

by uncle_onion 30 Replies latest jw friends

• wasasister
    wasasister

"Jesus, A Marginal Jew" is a two volume set which I would recommend. It certainly educated me on several topics. I believe the author's name is John P. Meyer, but I don't have it with me at present. (Being an incredible cheap-skate, I checked it out from my local library.)

The work is intimidating because of size, but I found it well balanced and fair. No one writes about Jesus Christ without an agenda - I don't care how scholarly they pretend to be. Unfortunatly, everyone has an opinion on the historicity whether they admit to it or not. Of all the works I've read, I found this author trying harder than most to remain objective.

After reading several books on the subject, I agree with GinnyT: I believe someone meeting the general description of Jesus existed in the first century. The most convincing point to me is the execution at the hands of the Romans. Why would later apologists make this up if they were not trying to explain a real event?

It is a most profound experience to try to forget everything you have held sacred and try to reinvent the rules. It is both exciting and frightening. Best wishes in your discovery process.

Was

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit