Favorite Bands/Genres

by xenawarrior 23 Replies latest social entertainment

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

xenawarrior,

I will avoid giving you the obvious but here are a few that tend to be overlooked that have coincidentally meant much to me....lol

Blues

Fenton Robinson

- very underrated and solid blues guitarist. Try the CD, 'I hear some Blues downstairs'

Mike Bloomfield

- white, middle class and dead, but played the Chicago blues to perfection. Check out his solo's on the Butterfield Blues Band - 'East West', favorite - 'I have a mind to give up living and go shopping instead'.

Terry Smith

: A phenomenal guitarist, mainly Jazz but plays the blues like a local even though he is from London. Spans a long career, playing with the best. Never heard a Gibson Jazz guitar played with quite the skill of this man. A good mate also. Should have reached the top but slipped through the cracks along the way.

Jazz

Mike Westbrook -

Get to hear 'Marching Song' before you die. John Surman's soprano sax solo on 'Celebration' has been a favorite piece of mine since it was first recorded in the late 60's. It still raises the hair on the nape of the neck over thirty years later.

John Taylor

- Jazz pianist. Overshadows Keith Jarrett with little trouble, and actually just about any player who struck ivory. 'Blue Grass' shows him well, though I suspect he has never played badly in any piece.

Pat Metheny

- What can you say? The boy from Kansas who owns the world. Taught me more fretwork in ten minutes than I taught myself in ten years.

Rock

Laura Nyro

- Finest female songwriter of her time, now sadly deceased. Sleep well Laura.

PFM

- Italian rock at its best. Together since '67 and still as fresh as ever. I would sell my soul to play guitar like Franco Mussida. Check out 'Live In The USA' - 'Alta Loma Alta', twenty minute solo worth paying for. Pete Sinfield wrote the lyrics on their first few albums, masterful lyricist.

Curtis Mayfield

- I was one of the only two honky's at a performance in NY in '69 that he recorded and made into 'Curtis Mayfield Live'. It was recorded just after the '68 race riots in a small club in Greenwhich and the atmosphere is electric. 'We People Who Are Darker Than Blue' and 'We Have Only Just Begun' are highlights.

Classical

Darius Milhaud - French composer with an impressionistic bent. Reached the world of Jazz before even he realized it.

Caludio Arrau - Brahms - Concerto No. 2 in B Flat. Tenderness and simplicity the two requisites of a fine pianist are welded in this mans playing.

Paul Tortellier - Brahms ( again ) Double Concerto in A minor - with Christian Ferras - Tortellier could reduce Mike Tyson to tears with his graceful style.

Best of luck, more music than years to tune in to - HS

Edited by - hillary_step on 2 October 2002 22:45:57

Edited by - hillary_step on 2 October 2002 22:47:47

• asortafairytale
    asortafairytale

Joannadandy-----

Yay!!!!!! I knew I wasn't alone!!!

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

Ian Moore!!! He's EXCELLENT

Had the opportunity to see him live a few times and he absolutely fantastic. Check him out

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Hillary:

Thank you! I'll look for some of this stuff! Mike Bloomfield plays guitar on several of the songs on the Paul Butterfield Blues Band cd I have. Have seen The Pat Metheny Group several times- love him!!! Thanks for all the suggestions.

XW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit