Favorite Bands/Genres

by xenawarrior 23 Replies latest social entertainment

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

I'm always looking for new music and the best place I've found by the recommendation of others. Maybe we could list our favorite genre(s) and list some of the bands we have found to be good. I'll start:

BLUES:

Kenny Neal
    Jimmy Thackery & The Drivers
    The Lamont Cranston Band
    Bugs Henderson
    Sonny Landreth
    Tommy Castro
    Coco Montoya
    Shane Dewight
    Max Cabello, Jr.
    Son Seals
    Charlie Musselwhite
    Lil Ed & The Blues Imperials
    Lonnie Brooks
    Luther Allison
    Bernard Allison
    Shemekia Copeland
    Eric Sardinas
    Poppa Chubby
    Chris Duarte
    The Boneshakers
    Duke Robillard
    Lorelei & The Roadkings
    Jeff Healey
    Robben Ford
    Sista Monica
    Susan Tedeschi
    Terry Hiatt
    The Joe Moss Band

Anyone have any good blues bands they would recommend??????

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Shemekiah's singing makes me glad to be a man!

Edited by - SixofNine on 30 September 2002 15:47:21

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

xena.......I didn't see Otis and the Alligators listed there! Another great band that we (Filthy and I) saw on Austin City Limits is String Cheese Incident.....very very good.

I am also partial to

• Stevie Ray Vaughn
    • The Allman Brothers
    • Natalie Merchant
    • Indigo Girls
    • Dave Matthews
    • Train
    • Sheryl Crow
    • John Mayer
    • The Nevile Brothers
    • The Hoop Snakes
  • scootergirl
    scootergirl

Wanted to have a BIG ROUND OF APPLAUSE for Jimmy Thackery! OMG......have you ever gotten to see him in person?!

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Scooter- Yes I have seen Jimmy Thackery in person, just this summer!!! HOT!!! Tried to take him home with me but my date seemed to have a problem with that. HUH?? I do have 2 cd's of his made for you girlie and will get them to you soon. Yes, HOT I tell ya!!!

XW

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Filthy took me to Whiskey Junction in the Cities and we got to see him. He sure drew a crowd. We got his newest cd but I don't think it is as good as his earlier ones.........

Almost forgot.......JOHN PRINE FAN TOO!

editted to add........Hot is the lead singer from Otis and the Alligators. Any man that can play a harmonica like that.........*sigh*

Edited by - scootergirl on 30 September 2002 16:12:12

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Blues?

What about Hendrix??? He played some rockin blues.....

What about other Genres???

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Crazy-- Yep- add them all!! I started with the Blues cuz it's my favorite genre. I didn't list the more popular stuff like Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughan or Eric Clapton cuz everyone knows them. My thinking was that someone who might like the Blues might try one of the less well known groups I might have listed and end up with a new favorite of their own. Alot of the bands I listed in this genre were recommended to me by others- I hadn't heard of them before. It's a great way to expand one's music library!!!

Someone else might want to list some bands/artists in country or Jazz or New Age, etc, they really like that others might not be aware of- not the mainstream stuff.

XW of the "gotta have music" class

• Dizzy Cat
    Dizzy Cat

Oh - erm ....

Ozric Tentacles / Brian Eno / Prince Fari / Boards of Canada / David Holmes / Joe Satriani / Pink Floyd / Johnny Hammond / Black Beard / King Tubby at Channel One JA / Lee "Scratch" Perry / Shane MacGowen & The Popes .... too many

Oh & you could check these crazy guys out

http://aliendread.channeloneuk.com

Heard thay are quite good !

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

String Cheese Incident, are GREAT!

Personally, no one can top Muddy Waters, he is my hero. Keb Mo is pretty good too.

If you guys want to check out a great website in my opinion: http://www.thebluehighway.com/

As far as things that aren't blues, but still rock in my book Jim White(kinda country funk, folk fusion--GREAT Lyrics!: http://www.jimwhite.net/ ), and Squirrel Nut Zippers (kinda a dixie-land, swing, sound--very fun for road trips http://www.snzippers.com/)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit