The Best Way To Get To Know Someone...

by Funchback 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Ah, yes, I remember the old "get to know someone by working in service with them" rubbish.

I remember 15 years ago a beautiful young blonde sister. Smart. Drove a VW beetle. Slim but curvy. Shining blonde hair. Calves to die for. A younger and prettier Helen Hunt.

I really wanted to get to know her better, but I was a JW geek. My glasses were bigger than my face and the lenses thicker than cathedral windows.

At a "get together" I plucked up the courage to ask "would you like to work with me in field service tomorrow?"

"OK" she said, glancing at her younger sister in what I hoped was pleased surprise.

We went in a car group of young people in service in her Beetle. And because I really believed that sisters wanted a young man who was spiritual and zealous, I played it to the max. After a while I was the only one starting conversations, with scintillating openers like "what's your favourite meeting?"

When they dropped me off afterwards, she put on Marvin Gaye's "Sexual Healing" as I got out of the car. I never saw her again.

Those Watchtower fuckers owe me $50 million just for embarrasment.

Expatbrit

• outnfree
    outnfree
    there are many more ways to get to know someone BETTER than working with them in Field Service. One way would be to go out to dinner with someone

That would interfere with Evening Witnessing.

or invite someone over for a Barbeque

That would entail more time spent on housekeeping, menu-planning, grocery shopping and meal preparation which would interfere with Weekend Field Service.

or have someone come over and watch the game with you

This is slightly less objectionable as long as you make sure you get in your Weekend Field Service. After all, chips and beer don't take as much planning.

or go shopping at a mall with someone

What? You're supposed to SHOP at a shopping mall? I thought malls were for Informal Witnessing!

or even corresponding with someone using
    the telephone,

You are to be commended, Brother, for adapting your ministry to include Telephone Witnessing!

pen and paper,

Letter Writing is also a fine form of alternative Witnessing, but let's leave that for the shut-ins and those who find the door-to-door work difficult

e-mail,

Hmmmmm.... how many e-mails could one send out in 15 minutes of field service a month? Might be quite an efficient way to get the word out. But how to obtain the e-mail addresses of our 'neighbors' in the Territory?

or "instant messaging"

Now, Brother, you are getting in the realm of the dangerous. How do you know who you are really talking to when you begin using the Internet? Apostates could infiltrate the congregation taking over the computer keyboards of upstanding members of your congregation, perching Smurfs atop the monitors and yet pretend to be your fellow believer!!!!

No, No. Better to put Shopping Malls to their proper use and join us for morning Field Service at the KH!

Your servant,

outnfree

(who always wanted to be the first female elder! ROFL)

• Funchback
    Funchback

Here's to outnfree, whose 'n' stands for NUT!!! LOL!

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Yeal, the best way for a JW to get to know other JW's better is to go in Field Service, where they will cut each other down and gossip terribly about someone who isn't in that peticular group.

I learned a lot about other peoples very personal business, their kids and their mates. So, yes, they are correct in stating that. It's a fact. People are quickly labeled and judged and put into categories.

Also, if you are out in service, "where you're supposed to be", you won't have to worry about being "the one who is the main topic" in a car load of JDubs doing their duty.

They get you, coming and going.

Sentinel/Karen

• Xander
    Xander

The best way to get to know someone is to live with them

DING!

Yes, that IS the *best* way to get to know someone. Sadly, no fundie religion will EVER admit that.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik
    scintillating openers like "what's your favourite meeting?"

hahahahaha.

thanks for the giggle expatbrit, that wuz funny.

• kelpie
    kelpie

I agree the best way to know some one is to live with them.

I met my man on the next and a month later we moved in together and it has been the best thing I have ever done.

So my parents arnt talking to me now but at least I am happy and free and finally doing something for myself now!!!

How can you get to know someone out witnessing?? of course they are going to be on their best behavior.. you need time and different circumstances to find the real person not the spiritual good two shoes...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit