What part of the bible is most disturbing to you?

by crownboy 41 Replies latest jw friends

• crownboy
    crownboy

For me, it's actually the book of Job, which happens to be one of my favourite books.

The way Job steadfastly maintains his innocence, and questions God, as well as rebuffs the three comforters (who proffer arguments along the lines of mordern apologist, although in this book they are "bad guys" ) made him my hero of sorts throughout most of the book. If most people today questioned god the way he did, they would probably be condemned for it.

However, at the end, when god himself speaks to Job, it all falls apart. Job turns into an apologetic blob of jello once god tells him "I'm more powerful and wise than you. Who are you to question me? Hell, I kill dragons, you can't!"

That attitude about god's authority is essentially promoted througout the entire bible. Here god had unjustly taken away most of what Job had possesed (a bet with the devil is not a just reason, and Job was "blameless", hence not fit for punishment), and he didn't even as much as offer an apology for the inconvience he had caused. He simply asserted his (god) right to do whatever he wanted to whomever he wanted, objective fairness be damned (sounds kind of like US foreign policy

Other nominations:

Book most likely written by guy who needed anti-depressants: Ecclesiastes

Book most likely written by guy on some serious drugs: Ezekiel, hands down. Daniel and John of Patmos have nothing on this guy .

• blondie
    blondie

The account of Lot and his daughters

The account of the concubine being given over to be gang raped and then her dead body being cut up and scattered in the countryside

The account of Dinah being raped

The account of Abraham misrepresenting his wife as his sister to save his behind and set her up for rape

Amnon raping his half-sister Tamar, yet he was not made subject to the Law and execuited

Foreign women being allowed to marry Israelite men (Deut 21) in spite of previously God telling them not to

Men being allowed several wives

Women being considered property

I think you see my direction with this.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Mostly the part right after "In the begining" until the part they call "Matthew"

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Joshua destroying every man, woman, and child in hundreds of towns. The only one that was spared, was a whore who was a traitor to her own people and was a spy for Joshua.

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

Genesis through Revelations ... that is why I do not own one anymore.

My thought

Dragon

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

-When Lot offered his daughter to the rap mob.

• Jesus Christ
    Jesus Christ

That whole part with me getting killed is rather disturbing. I'd just rather put that whole bit behind me but all these idiot humans keep focusing on how I was put to death instead of focusing on all the other stuff I did in my life.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I have talked about this before, but the account of Abraham sacrificing Isaac is terrible. I could never show that page in the Bible Stories Book to my children. (they eventually saw it) Horrible account. What parent could read that to their child? And..........I was a TRUE believer. That one always hurt me too much.

• Scully
    Scully

I don't know about the rest of you, but I would really be freaked out by someone who had Jehovah's fixation about human foreskins.

What does he need them for?? What does he do with them?? Does he have them catalogued and archived? Does he have favorites?? Does he hang them over the mantle??

Any human who had the same need for foreskins would be triaged to the front of the line for a psych consult in my hospital. But when it's "GOD" with the fixation...... oh well, that's different!!

To me, that's one of the most disturbing things in the Bible.

Love, Scully

• Ephanyminitas
    Ephanyminitas
    When Lot offered his daughter to the rap mob

Okay, I had a laugh at this. "Yo, let us have yo' biotch!"

Edited by - ephanyminitas on 27 September 2002 23:11:19

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit