Sick of the nanny state. Polictical correctness can kiss my donkey!

by punkofnice 56 Replies latest social current

• Caedes
    Caedes

I'd like to add that these PC do-gooders seem to have little sense of proportion and self-awareness. There was recently the case of that UCL professor sacked because of making a clumsy, sexist joke. Let that sink in: one of the country's leading academics has fallen foul of the PC gestapo and lost his job. In a sane world, this would have been sorted out with an apology and a handshake in 5 minutes.

Well just to put you right over the one actual verifiable story in this whole thread, Sir Tim Hunt resigned from an honorary position, he was not sacked. His scientific work continues. So this apology and handshake, would that be to every single person that he undermined with his thoughtless comments? Stem subjects have a difficult enough time attracting female students without well respected members of the scientific community trying to discourage them further. It was entirely right that the university accepted his resignation from his honorary post.

The rest of this thread is 'The Sun/UKIP we want the good old days' nonsense without one iota of evidence to suggest that people are really being persecuted for being offensive arseholes.

I remember how prevalent racist, sexist and homophobic language was in the seventies and anyone who thinks that sort of language doesn't affect the real feelings of the minorities involved (no matter how little vitriol is attached) obviously has never really tried to empathise with people who are on the outskirts of society.

Perhaps you should consider that society just doesn't want to hear the words you want to use about gays and muslims, it isn't that anyone is offended they just don't want to listen to you being a twat.

If the biggest thing you can find to rebel against is that you don't like not being able to say what you like about minorities then you aren't paying enough attention to the news. How about rebelling against MPs giving themselves an 11% pay rise whilst freezing other public sector worker's pay?

Considering the feelings of other members of society doesn't make you the PC gestapo, it makes you a nicer human being.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Caedes - Perhaps you should consider that society just doesn't want to hear the words you want to use about gays and muslims, it isn't that anyone is offended they just don't want to listen to you being a twot

I agree we should not be offensive deliberately. My frustration isn't about the right to be offensive. My frustration is that there is an overbearing control that stifles thought. Politeness ought to be fundamental to normal people.

If the biggest thing you can find to rebel against is that you don't like not being able to say what you like about minorities then you aren't paying enough attention to the news. How about rebelling against MPs giving themselves an 11% pay rise whilst freezing other public sector worker's pay?

With respect, young fella mi' lad, I think you totally missed my point. At no stage do I endorse the thought that we should say what we like about minorities.

Rather, people should grow up and stop being so easily offended...especially when it's financially beneficial for them. And will those do gooders stop being offended on behalf of those NOT offended.

As for evidence..............wow...............how much do you want?

...no one can accuse me of being a bigot......my ethnicity and family is melting pot stuff.

I hope this clears that up.

PS. I'm not putting a Gypsy curse on anyone..with my bloodline I could. Oh, and I'm not bothered by the term 'pikey' either...perhaps I should be given part of my family are travellers!?!

• tiki
    tiki

Same in the USA....can't call a spade a spade. Blacks wrong...afro Americans right. But white is okay. My question is why. Shouldn't whites be called Euro Americans ??? And wtf is wrong with oriental??? No...has to be Asian American. At least the days of kikes, dagos, galiciaks, krauts, etc are over...in most circles.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Sir Tim Hunt resigned from an honorary position - he still lost his job over fairly harmless remarks. As I said, it could have been dealt with over a pot of coffee in about 5 mins. Are you comfortable with his resignation?

The rest of this thread is 'The Sun/UKIP we want the good old days' nonsense - absolute b*ll*cks. Society has worked hard to eliminate the sexist, racist, homophobic language of the 70s, and rightly so. As punk said, you're somewhat missing the point. Verbal/racist/sexist/homophobic abuse is obviously wrong and should continue to be outlawed. I think what Punk is getting at is that ordinary people aren't allowed to politely express themselves and state views outside of the narrow band of liberal orthodoxy without some t*sspot screaming 'waaycist!'

Considering the feelings of other members of society doesn't make you the PC gestapo, it makes you a nicer human being - a respected scientist was forced out of his job because of the delicate feelings of the professionally outraged. Congratulations.

P.S. I don't read The Sun and I don't support UKIP.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    punkofnice: I have very little respect for them these days. Especially after seeing on at least 2 occasions where they have tampered with evidence, ie broken a sim card or 'lost' one, so they can get a conviction.

Here in the United States cops like to body slam you against the pavement. They paralyzed an elderly man by doing that. His provocation? He couldn't understand them and turned away.

Then there was the person at a peaceful protest in Fresno, California who was simply standing looking in the direction of a phalanx of police dressed in riot gear. He had a tear gas canister aimed at his head. When he fell others went to his assistance another tear gas canister was shot at them.

And there is the 12 year old, Tamir Rice, who was playing in the park with a toy gun. The police approached him driving their vehicle on the park's grass right up to where he was then shot him 2 seconds after they intercepted him.

Also there's John Crawford who was in a Walmart holding a toy rifle up with one hand - not pointing it at anyone - and speaking into his cell phone using his other hand. Killed without warning. His dying words were: "It's not real".

I can go on and on.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

punkofnice - "Political correctness can kiss my donkey!"

I'm offended by that statement!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Vidiot

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been flagged up to Simon or the moderators.

Punkofnice clearly is bigoted against donkeys!

His anti-equine agenda is disgraceful

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

LUHE - I was a bit confused by the Sun reading UKIP comment. It kind of seemed odd that someone so concerned about the feelings of others resorted to that type of biggoted speech. Good that Caedes has freedom of speech....at the moment!

I laugh at it because I was offered a free copy of the Sun once and refused it on principle. As far as political leanings go I really feel that all the parties are the same. If there was a party that appeals to me it's Class War.

I rest my case. As a hero of mine Johnny Rotten said, 'No one is innocent.'

Village Idiot - I see the footage of the brutality of some of the cops in the USA and I know it will infect the UK too. Give them power and they will enjoy abusing it.

Vid - Donkeys are radicalised horses....darned things!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    TIKI - galiciaks

Thats a new one on me...never heard that one before. Spanish perhaps? I've heard of 'beaners' from Gran Torino...like a lot of USA names for minorities, I have to google it to se what it means.

• Caedes
    Caedes

I think you totally missed my point. At no stage do I endorse the thought that we should say what we like about minorities.

Well the three 'examples' you used in your OP are minorities, (Drag, Muslims and gay people) is there some other example that better represents the point you are trying to make? The other example you used, Pikeys, are also a minority.

Rather, people should grow up and stop being so easily offended...especially when it's financially beneficial for them. And will those do gooders stop being offended on behalf of those NOT offended.

Fortunately, you don't get to dictate how someone else feels about your choice of words, has nobody ever tried to tell you how you feel about something and got it wrong? The fact that some members of a minority aren't offended by something doesn't allow you to assume that an entire group of people feel exactly the same way.

I'm not sure what you mean about financial benefit, this seems to be a new point you are raising.

As I previously pointed out it isn't about offense.

As for evidence..............wow...............how much do you want?

You haven't produced any evidence so far so...

...no one can accuse me of being a bigot......my ethnicity and family is melting pot stuff.

You are the one complaining about feeling restricted in what you can say about minorities, so what do you want to call them?

I hope this clears that up.

Not really!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit