I Think That I Chose My Parents.

by Englishman 124 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

I believe that the healing that RHW describes may be real. As I said before, this should be subject to scientific inquiry. As several people pointed out, it has been through such inquiry that amazing improvements in the human condition have occured. I also, believe that the theraputic intervention that Trevor mentioned has merit. However, I have serious doubts that some kind of healing energy can be sent great distances. Stephen said this is possible. If he has some volutneers, I would be interested in the change in the person that Stephen expects to produce.

Do you believe in the powere of witch doctors? Can they put a curse on someone, that can cause them to die? This has been reported often. Did you know that if the person doesn't know they are cursed, then nothing happens to them. When they know they are cursed, they become so full of fear that they literally scare themselves to death. Again, it is the power of the mind and its own suggestability that causes strange happenings, not the power of some external mind sent energy.

• larc
    larc

Englishman,

I think you are longing for some romantic bygone era, where the power of supposed spiritual healing existed in greater intensity. From Jesus time to the present, the average life span has doubled, not because of some universal life force, but due to the prosaic advancement of science and technology. By the way, if you really study the findings of science you will find them to be truely amazing and awe inspiring.

• rem
    rem

Larc,

I like your style. The universe is awesome - the more we learn about it and nature the more intriguing it is. Unfortunately some (probably most) people see all these discoveries of science and come to the conclusion that the universe is so strange that ANYTHING is possible. Thus the "scientific" arguments proposing quantum mechanics that are used to explain the unexplainable when unscrupulous ones sell their snake oil. Sadly, without a solid understanding of logic and science, it is difficult to determine fact from fiction.

Yesterday I was listening to a paid advertisement on AM radio espousing the wonders of magnetic mattress pads. The show sounded like a regular radio interview, but at the very end, it was announced that it was a paid advertisement. The announcer sounded so convincing, referring to one study after another. It seems that magnetic mattresses can cure almost anything. Several people called the show asking if the mattress would help their ailment. “Absolutely” was the answer to every single call – no matter what the ailment. This is sad that people can be so dishonest – and the media is much to blame for the public’s credulity. No one thought it was necessary to disclose the announcer’s financial ties to the mattress company, which, of course, doesn’t aide in keeping him honest. He had a financial interest in selling as many of these miracle pads as possible. Arthritis, diabetes, cataracts – no problem. This pad supposedly helped all of these – without any nasty side affects. Yeah, right.

I couldn’t believe that such blatant dishonesty was allowed on the radio. At the end of the advertisement, a standard disclaimer was announced: “The preceding was a paid advertisement and does not reflect the views of so and so radio station.” There is a lot of money being made here off of these pseudo scientific claims and I think that the media should be a lot more responsible. The are playing to the public’s lack of education in these areas and are making a killing selling these useless (except for the documented placebo effect) products.

Also – in reference to the healing touch, a nine year old girl did a double blind experiment for her science fair which debunked any type of energy traveling from one person to another. The experiment was ingenious – it’s amazing that a nine year old girl did this. Her findings were written up in a peer reviewed science journal. I believe she is the youngest scientist to ever do this. Her experiment and conclusions are described in Robert Park’s “Voodoo Science”. It was very interesting.

Again – it’s been mentioned before, but James Randi has a one million-dollar reward outstanding for anyone who can demonstrate any type of paranormal or supernatural phenomena without cheating. This reward has been around for a long time and various people tried to meet the challenge. Unfortunately everyone has been unsuccessful so far. If anyone here would like to demonstrate their supernatural abilities, they could quickly become a millionaire.

rem

• thinker
    thinker

Well, I've finally gotten around to posting on this thread. To summarize my thoughts: I do think there are still some things which can not be explained in this universe. Maybe someday science will have some answers, until then it's really just a matter of beliefs. There are alot of scams making real experiences less valid, but I believe there are real experiences which may someday be explained.
    In regards to reincarnation, I read something interesting the other day. It had a good arguement saying that John the baptist was Elijah reincarnated. The relavant scriptures are: 2nd Kings, Elijah dies. Mala. 4:5 predicts return. Matt. 11:10 Jesus ID's J. the B. as Elijah. Also Zech. 3:7 and 14.

thinker

• Englishman
    Englishman

I guess it's the height of arrogance to bring up one's own 3 year old topic here. Sorry.

However, someone supplied a link today to a Mormon web-site, and this caught my eye:

• You are a child of God.
    • Before you were born, you lived as a spirit with God, your Heavenly Father.
    • You came to Earth to learn to be more like God.
    • When your life on Earth is over, you can return to live with your Heavenly Father.

I must admit that I still have some vague feelings of deja vu here, which is how the thread got started in the first place.

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit